German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a supposedly purebred German Shepherd from a rescue this past Saturday and they said he's 8 weeks old, but after taking him to the vet and looking up pictures online of puppies he seems to be 5-6 weeks (vet said 6). However based off size charts and the such he seems to be light for 6 weeks, weighing only 7.4lbs. Yes, I know having a puppy at this age poses future problems and I would take him back to the rescue but they seem to be doing something shady as they said he was 8 weeks and I found a Craigslist ad with the same exact pictures of the "parents" they had posted at the adoption event. I've also had a little experience with a pre-8 week old puppy as my now 2 year old Siberian Husky was 5 weeks old when I got her from a breeder that wasn't taking care of his puppies.

1) Is 7.4lbs under what he should be at about 6 weeks of age? I know it sounds dumb as I've been through this once before but I'm scared he won't grow to be "big"
2) Should his ears be standing up? They currently do.
3) He's black and cream colored but has a white-tipped tail. Is this normal?

Here are pictures: <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/NMsxS"><a href="//imgur.com/NMsxS"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
:welcome: I couldn't get your photos link to work, but I'm sure he's adorable. 7.4 lbs is fine. He's going to do a lot of growing. Your lucky the ears are up already but don't worry if they come down during teething-they'll come back uo. Yes, there can be a bit of white on the tail and also his coat will change a lot also.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mary Beth, I played around some with the link in his code.
I think this is the set of pictures OP meant to link:

imgur.com/a/NMsxS

Very adorable I have to say! Sadly my knowledge is limited in regards to raising puppies but I hope other can give you the advice you're looking for.

Best of luck with him!

(I can't post full links yet since this is my first post, or I would've left it in url format, but it should still work!)

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
He's a very cute puppy! There are several other recent threads regarding care for such a young puppy. It's not a desirable situation, but provided you pay close attention to his nutritional needs, it can work out okay. Best if luck to you both!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts