German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hi to all, my first post here :hug:
Right off the bat, i adopted a 2 year old male from a loving family, because wife started having really bad asthma and allergic cases a year into having that dog, someone explained that dogs started to change their coat from puppy to "normal" about a year into their lives...don`t know about that one, but hey...
I`m looking for general advice from people, who have done a crazy thing like adopting a grown dog.
It looks like they have neglected training him, he pulls his leash, has no reaction to his original name (Rex) and today i let him meet my neighbors labrador/ridgeback mix. Wow, that was a mistake. Neighbors dog is 7, sweet, but very active. A fight broke out, but i noticed, that it wasn`t one of those "to death" Looked like they both tried to prove something.
I will definitely look for a school for my dog, but as i said, what can i expect in the future?
P.s. we live near Munich, Germany.

·
Registered
624 Posts
First of all, hi to all, my first post here :hug:
Right off the bat, i adopted a 2 year old male from a loving family, because wife started having really bad asthma and allergic cases a year into having that dog, someone explained that dogs started to change their coat from puppy to "normal" about a year into their lives...don`t know about that one, but hey...
I`m looking for general advice from people, who have done a crazy thing like adopting a grown dog.
It looks like they have neglected training him, he pulls his leash, has no reaction to his original name (Rex) and today i let him meet my neighbors labrador/ridgeback mix. Wow, that was a mistake. Neighbors dog is 7, sweet, but very active. A fight broke out, but i noticed, that it wasn`t one of those "to death" Looked like they both tried to prove something.
I will definitely look for a school for my dog, but as i said, what can i expect in the future?
P.s. we live near Munich, Germany.
Congratulations on your new dog.... I would say the first thing is to teach your dog to ignore other dogs and not to look for a fight. A well-behaved dog doesn't look for opportunities to get into trouble. That said, let us know how you're doing and how your dog gets along with you! I have a grown dog and we're just getting to know each other for now.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition. Nothing crazy about adopting an adult German Shepherd. Many of us have done the same thing.

It sounds like he is very new to your home. Give him a chance to settle in and adjust. At this point, it is probably too soon for him to be meeting new people and dogs. GSDs are so smart. Put some time into him and he will learn very quickly.

I would love to see a picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Welcome!
Congratulations, I am partial to the LC's myself!
Are you keeping his name Rex or did you name him something else? And yes, please post pictures when you get a chance. I'm sure he'll settle in in no time :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome!
Congratulations, I am partial to the LC's myself!
Are you keeping his name Rex or did you name him something else? And yes, please post pictures when you get a chance. I'm sure he'll settle in in no time :)
I`m thinking of renaming him, he shows no reaction to Rex, my neighbour shot out Benny today, ears went straight up :)
He is my first long coat, previous was a normal GS girl i picked up on the street, she was about 5 years old, died from cancer about 2 years ago, but the time we had together :) oh man!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts