German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Are you able to get the pups back? They really need their mom!

It is an awful situation that you have been put in from the start, but it seems to be going from bad to worse for the poor mom and her pups.
my last post before this was a reply to this comment. i forgot to quote it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
A new mom-dog with 2 week old pups is not generally going to welcome strangers. This is still when many mama-dogs don't even want to leave their pups for more than a few minutes at a stretch. These babies are totally helpless, eyes, ears hardly functioning yet, waddling about just looking for milk and warmth. They need their mother to teach them many things and to be there for security, guidance as they grow. Mom is still helping them eliminate and cleaning up after them.

Watching a mother dog play with her pups when they start walking is beautiful. I wish she could have kept her pups for at least another four weeks.

I'm sure that mama-dog is not only mourning losing her babies, but in pain from swollen nipples. Her hormones are telling her that she is a nursing mother- it is very confusing and sad for her to not have pups to care for at this stage.

I'm sorry to hear this outcome. How very sad for pups. And they'll lose mom's immunity, as well, and all the benefits of being "breast fed" which are many, particularly with pups who mature so quickly.
she is both mourning pups and in discomfort from breasts. im sure the pups will be given a back story of coming from a terrible situation where rescue had no choice but to separate mom and pups. im a dogfighter and mom is a baitdog, or maybe she was guarding my drug stash. im not mocking the value of exaggerated or made up histories for rescues, if portraying the prince charles cavelier as a bait dog rather than an owner surrender because his kid is allergic is great if it helps dogs get adopted. in my case they can say whatever they want about me if it helps pups get adopted. mom was a russian spy and allegedly had some meetings with ivankas poodle. what's done is done so anything that helps improve a bad situation. the fact that in reality they didn't try at all to keep mom and pups together, more worried if i might decide to sell them or find a different rescue was more of a pressing issue than mom and pups health shows you how unscrupulous people can be. i thought maybe puppies are vital for smaller rescues to help subsidize older dogs people arent adopting, but if the greater good is the dogs and their health the rescue should of taken chance id go to someone else for their sake.
when i offered to keep pups, the person running rescue made a fair point about my financial resources maybe not being adequate for such a task. i explained that while i felt responsible dog ownership means having reserves available for dogs, id get by for six weeks. i also asked if they get food donated and if that is then ever passed on to fosters, which is what i would essentially be. she was tripped up by my question and repsonded about how she only feeds dogs a raw diet. ok fine, ive flirted with a raw diet and planned to stick with it till pups came. can she maybe advise me on a nutritious and budget friendly raw diet? soup bones are cheap. she didn't even respond to this question or show any desire to work with me so pups and mom were in optimal situation.
i now clearly see the plethora of red flags i somehow missed.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You could probably get them back. Unless you signed them over (which I doubt since CL scammers rarely have surrender paperwork), if they took them under false pretenses, you could tell them to return them today, or you will involve law enforcement....and do it. Or if you think she's a rescuer who's just "confused," call her tell her what your vet says today about what a cluster this is and why your dog needs the pups back, and they need her....

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well, what's done is done, and we all know now it was not the best outcome for mom and pups.

Please, please watch mom's mammary glands very closely. She is at risk of developing mastitis - an infection of the breast that can be life-threatening. Watch for hardness, redness, swelling and heat. She will also likely be feverish. If you detect that, take her to the vet IMMEDIATELY. Do NOT wait!

I've seen what can happen if you wait. The bitch developed an abscess in the breast that burst, and was very sick. This happened because she lost her pups - they were all born very weak, and died within 48 hours. (Not my dog I wouldn't have let this happen!)

Listen to your vet - hopefully he or she can give you something to help dry up her milk, and advise you on how to care for her.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
M3andGSD, it's obvious that you are trying to address all the questions that have been asked and that you are doing so honestly and openly. I would also like to know the name of the rescue that the woman who took the pups gave you. I think this is an important question to answer for so many reasons.

From my limited understanding of rescues, many are strict with their guidelines to ensure that they have the best chance of success in adoption placement. That said, I also see where your trials and errors could hold value in perhaps curtailing some of the cynicism that is probably prevalent with individuals working in legitimate rescues. Also maybe if the name she used is real but used it fraudulently then at least the real service could be alerted.

I had more thought and suggestions but as I said my knowledge is limited.

With all of that said my thoughts are still with the pups and mom.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Getting Mom and puppies reunited is important, and would be an awesome outcome. But I am concerned about Me3andGSD and her fiance as well. You guys were victims. Someone, either unscrupulously or accidentally, gave you a pregnant dog. While the outcome here is heartbreaking, don't lose sight of the fact that you really tried your best to do the right thing. Stop beating yourself up!

But please, please, please post the name of this sham rescue outfit so this doesn't happen to others!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Besides the unscrupulous practices of rescues for profit....then there are the Craigslist killers

https://www.peta.org/blog/craigslist-killers-free-to-a-good-home-meant-torture-and-death-for-these-animals/

https://our-compass.org/2012/04/11/free-to-a-good-home-craigslist-dog-killer-sentenced-in-west-virginia/

To add to the sadists that get their kicks torturing, There are people who want these pups at such a young age to raise for dog fighting, and if they are not fighters they are bait.

GET THE PUPS BACK

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Posting a Youcaring fundraiser for a couple of hundred bucks would cover food. That will cost less than this vet visit probably.

I also get acceptable-but-not-top-tier pet food frequently for community donation programs (food pantry, emergency assistance) using coupons/sales, and I know I'm not alone in doing this. These programs do exist. Purina One may not be my favorite food, but it will work just fine to nourish dogs that otherwise aren't getting fed or when it's what the owner can afford. The food issue could likely be solved with some calls to city and county agencies asking for referrals to pet food donations.

The issue with lugging big bags of food being a problem could also be solved with having Chewy deliver 40# bags of food to your home.

This stuff is minor and solvable, if the will is there.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
OP- if you can get the pups back, I can get you very discounted, quality food for mom and pups. I can probably hook you up with free food, if you can get those pups back. Many dog organizations are now more focused on keeping the dogs in the home than "rescue" and usually have many food donations on hand for people in need. I'd try there, too. No need to explain yourself or give a great backstory, they are there to help- not judge.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I don't know about dogs but if one side of a goat udder isn't nursed because they favor a side or it has a plug, it becomes painful and then she won't let them nurse it. you have to drain down the over full udder before she will let kids nurse again.

if there is an equivalent in dogs you might not be able to just put the pups back on her. But I do hope you try to get those pups back!!!

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Please, try to get them back. If you can't, you can't. And I am really sorry that all this happened.

For their immunity, for being raised by their dam, for all the reasons, try to get the foster to give the puppies back to you.

I had a bitch, Arwen who had a litter of puppies, and when they were ready to go, the first owner was there, and my sister, and I finally said, Let's do this, and I put Arwen inside and walked out to the car with the people and their puppy. When I came back in I released Arwen, and she ran right to the whelping box, counted her puppies and cried. I am not kidding. The pup was like 1 day less than eight weeks. My sister started to bawl, and I snapped at her to shut up! Don't make it worse for her than it is. After that, she was fine with her puppies going to their new homes.

But bitches with baby-puppies, they are often very protective of them, it is built-in. It gets less and less as the puppies get to an age where they can fend for themselves.

Raising a litter is not easy. You should raise them inside, but give them time outdoors as well. Even if you just use an x-pen and let them play on the grass. You will need to start having people come over and handle the puppies. This is good for them (the puppies) and the bitch. Usually when the pups are 4-5 weeks old. You have to be careful and if necessary keep the bitch on lead.

There is weaning and I usually let the bitch do that. At three weeks I start giving them food in big round puppy pans 3 times a day, but mom is in with them and she eats some of that, and they eat some of her milk. It evens out. I use hot water in the food to moisten it. And here is where poop can get interesting to manage -- but then it is only a few more weeks.

These babies need their mother. She bathes them, and keeps them clean, and warm. If you can get them back, please do. GSDs are really great, caring mothers. Maybe other dogs are as well, but GSDs tend to be good with all babies. They have a mothering instinct that is hard to beat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
the name or the rescue is woof and purr furry friends. I am not sure if they just unscrupulous or all together made up. ive learned when under stress of in an unfamiliar situation people tend to become easier to influence and while i consider myself relatively street smart looking back i overlooked some huge, huge red flags.
i did sign the puppies over. :/
i became aware for the potential for mastitis while reading what to look out for. her teats are very swollen but not red and she seems to be in discomfort, not pain. she hasnt been eating much. i know this helps breasts go down im concerned because she is the one showing little interest in eating. could she somehow on an instinctual level know eating less will ease her discomfort or that wishful thinking?
she was very down yesterday snd seeing her search for her pups was downright heartbreaking. what was encouraging was that for first time in a while she intiated play with me, chasing a ball, swollen mammeries and all. i of course kept it low impact but it was good to see her in higher spirits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
how should i go.about asking for puppies back? i tried calling the ladies number she didnt answer. i have the fosters number as well. whats the best approach here?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
OP- if you can get the pups back, I can get you very discounted, quality food for mom and pups. I can probably hook you up with free food, if you can get those pups back. Many dog organizations are now more focused on keeping the dogs in the home than "rescue" and usually have many food donations on hand for people in need. I'd try there, too. No need to explain yourself or give a great backstory, they are there to help- not judge.

thank you so much i appreciate that

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
I believe this is their Facebook page and the puppies are on there. You should be able to go there by getting their address. I would just go down. Looks like they found a foster and are already calling them German shepherd puppies not mix.

** I deleted the link due to some concerns from our mods. If people are interested in the puppies, please contact the OP for more information about the rescue that has them. Thank you, ADMIN**

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Let's please refrain from personal attacks against the OP. Thank you. ADMIN Lisa

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
The "rescue" is removing comments on posts on their FB page about these puppies. :( They're referring to them as purebred when they have no idea if they are or not, and calling them orphaned, which they absolutely are not.

61 - 80 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.