German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today my wife found a White GSD Male at a local shelter that we ended up adopting.

He is really dirty, malnourished, and flee infested.

They think he is approximately 3 years old and he is very vocal.

We need to try and find a name for him so please help in that regard.

White GSD by Switchblade906, on Flickr

White GSD by Switchblade906, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Congrats on your beautiful boy. Thanks for adopting.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Pretty pup!!! He's a lucky boy you gave him a home ... thanks!!! Hope you get a great name for him :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
how about Lucky for a name?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Congrats on the new pup, I always liked the name Thorn or Thor for a white shepherd. Best of luck with him :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Thank you for giving him a forever and loving home, I bet you will make lots of great memories together. I also like the name Lucky.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
He looks like a happy-go-lucky guy. I'll bet he cleans up real nice. :) No suggestions for names. Lucky would seem to fit him pretty well though.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
OMG! Look at that poor dog! So glad an awesome person got him and will love him for forever. Fenrir is a good one, but I agree on the name of Lucky.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the name Stark and my wife likes the name Gunnar. We will have to see what his personality is before we decide.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well we got some bad news today....He has a really bad case of heart worm, kennel cough, and an ear infection. So unfortunately we will not be able to adopt him.....

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
So you will not be able to adopt him because you cannot afford the vet bills? I only ask because I know how bleak shelters can make things seem but all of these things are treatable.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Yet?

Or are they going to put him down?

All those things are treatable.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Oh no.... All of those conditions are treatable, don't let it deter you.

If your decision is due to the cost of heartworm treatment, can you make an arrangement with the rescue/shelter for discounted treatment?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So you will not be able to adopt him because you cannot afford the vet bills? I only ask because I know how bleak shelters can make things seem but all of these things are treatable.
Pretty much, I called a couple vets today and was quoted pretty much the same thing everywhere. Approximately $1,000 for the heartworm and its not even guaranteed to work. Also the kennel cough they said it is airborn and would affect Zoey (my other GSD) and they dont provide antibiotics to that either so theres more in vet bills of which I dont have.....

I just dont know anything about these problems since i have never had a dog that had any type of issues.

They keep telling me that im going to have to put a lot of money into this dog with only a slight chance any of it is going to work. I really dont know what to do, we told them that me and my wife would take the night and talk it over.

What should I do? How much money am i going to have to spend and what are my chances to healing this dog?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts