German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted this sweet guy 2 days ago at the local humane society. They said he was a GSD mix... what do you think? He has a completely black tongue... Any info would be helpful!

·
Registered
308 Posts
He's handsome! And he sure looks like a GSD - I'm no expert but I don't recognize any other kind of dog in there! Have fun:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Looks like 100 percent GSD to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I thought so! The humane society had him listed as a mix. I adopted him for $40, can you believe that? I have been looking for a GSD rescue for months! He is just the sweetest thing. Great with my kid, cats, and chickens. I am so lucky! His name is Rocco... he has canine flu from being at the dog pound, but we have a vet appt. tomorrow. Luckiest lady in Tacoma! :wub:

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Thanks for saving this guy!

If by canine flu you mean runny nose, goopy eyes and a hacking cough...it's likely a form of kennel cough that's ultra-common in shelters. It's basically a bad cold. Some dogs benefit from a round of antibiotics if there's a bacterial component. Many kick it on their own. I've had great success with foster dogs who have it by adding organic, unrefined coconut oil to their diets at the first sign of illness. This article might be helpful:
Remedies for Kennel Cough - Whole Dog Journal Article
br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
Good luck! Congrats on your beautiful new dog. What's his name going to be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rocco is 6 years old. He is super awesome. I love him already! He does have a lot of runny mucous from his nose, and coughs, hacks, etc, but he has not eaten anything except a half a slice of bread and two slices of turkey lunch meat since Friday evening. I have dog food out for him, wet and dry, and he is not eating. Been super worried about him... but hoping he will come around. Hope the vet can bring some light on his condition, ideas on how to get him to eat, etc. Feel super blessed to have found him. He needed me as much as I needed him.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
He looks like he's mostly GSD to me, but he looks as though he could have a bit of Chow and maybe even Akita in him. He's quite handsome either way.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Looks pure to me. Looks like he's a bit on the chunky side and that could be giving him a rounded and mixed appearance.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks pure to me. Looks like he's a bit on the chunky side and that could be giving him a rounded and mixed appearance.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yes, I will be working to try to get a few pounds off of him. Right now he's ill, so I have not been exercising him very much and he hasn't been eating. Drinking a lot but no food... :( I sure hope the vet can help today. Appointment is in 2 hours...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for saving this guy!

If by canine flu you mean runny nose, goopy eyes and a hacking cough...it's likely a form of kennel cough that's ultra-common in shelters. It's basically a bad cold. Some dogs benefit from a round of antibiotics if there's a bacterial component. Many kick it on their own. I've had great success with foster dogs who have it by adding organic, unrefined coconut oil to their diets at the first sign of illness. This article might be helpful:
Remedies for Kennel Cough - Whole Dog Journal Article
br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
Good luck! Congrats on your beautiful new dog. What's his name going to be?
Thanks for the coconut oil tip, only problem is he isn't eating. His name is Rocco, and I think I will keep it since he answers to it. Don't want to confuse the poor guy more... been pretty stressful for him losing his family, going to the shelter, and now having a new home.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'll go along with the pure bred vote. He looks like an absolute sweetheart. Thank you for adopting a more mature dog. It sounds like Rocco's in really good hands :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts