German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 2 1/2 weeks of Harley being gone and crying everyday, I found a 3-4 yr old male GSD at the one Humane Society. They said he had been tied out to a dog house his whole life and the dog house was so small that he could only fit half his body in. So I went to meet him and cried when I saw him. Side view, looks identical to Harley. It was like an instant connection. He is the sweetest thing. Have had him 5 days and he was settled in after the second day. He plays with the other dogs, stays right with me, his recall is excellent. I can have outside with me off leash and he doesn't go anywhere. He does have hair loss which looks like it is slowly coming back. He did have really bad ear infections and possibly will always have trouble. He just rubs against you for love and cries when he can't find me. He has helped me a lot. Think Harley picked him for me. So this is Jake

Attachments

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
He is so handsome, congratulations! :)

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you for opening your heart to a wonderful dog who deserves so much more than he had. Often in these situations, you end up rescuing each other!

These kind of dogs tend to bond incredibly deeply once they get to a person who loves them. They know where they came from, and they know how good they've got it in their new lives.

Terrible coats are very, very common in dogs who have lived in the elements without proper shelter. Getting him on good food and giving him a fish oil supplement will make a huge difference in that coat. He'll look like a different dog in a few months.

Congrats to you both!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you for opening your heart to a wonderful dog who deserves so much more than he had. Often in these situations, you end up rescuing each other!

These kind of dogs tend to bond incredibly deeply once they get to a person who loves them. They know where they came from, and they know how good they've got it in their new lives.

Terrible coats are very, very common in dogs who have lived in the elements without proper shelter. Getting him on good food and giving him a fish oil supplement will make a huge difference in that coat. He'll look like a different dog in a few months.

Congrats to you both!
I could not have said it better!!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
By the way, after you treat the ears with vet-prescribed meds, if it comes back, come post about it. There's lots to try --- from limited-ingredient foods, to different drugs. I eventually resolved a chronic, antibiotic resistant infection in a senior dog that had made her go deaf because she'd had it so many years (and it had kept coming back). Several vets had said it will never be cured completely, but it was eventually with the right vet. Don't worry about that.

In the meantime, investing in a bottle of Zymox ear cleaner would be a good idea, for after treatment is done. It's the best of the best for dogs with problems (enzymes stay behind to break down bacteria).

If the ears are yucky, chances are his skin is too, underneath that thin coat. In our rescue, we often do several weekly baths with chlorhexadine shampoo ($10 on Amazon), to clear up the year's worth of accumulated bacteria and crud on these dogs who've lived outside without shelter (often having to sleep on moist ground...). If you try it, just be careful not to get it on his head (to keep it well away from his eyes).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all. I will def try the ear cleaner and the shampoo. Right now he is on Tractor Supply's Grain free Salmon and Potato and I was mixing in aliitle Victor that I have left over from Harley. Foster mom said he wasn't tolerating grains very well. He has so many of Harley's traits, its sometimes comforting and sometimes not. But I know he has bonded to me and follows me everywhere, just like my boy. He is really doing good for it being less than a week.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I totally agree with the mutual rescue, it was getting unbearable for me and I couldn't think of anything but another GSD!!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I completely understand. About a month after Gracie passed, I decided it was time to donate her beds to the SPCA. Long story short, went to the SPCA with two beds to donate, came back with two beds and an 8-9 year old GS, which we named Shadow. Like you, it was an instant connection. Amazing when that happens, I would not have believed it had I not experienced it myself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm so happy for you and Jake! Jake is the name of my rescue too!

I know exactly what you mean about the instant connection. I've had it happen both times with both my rescues. I truly believe rescue dogs can make some of the best dogs. They know what tough times are like and now they know just how good they have it. Best wishes for the both of you :)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Your story and pictures make me cry. We did that, too, almost ten years ago but the dog came to us through a group I fostered for. Try Triz EDTA ear cleaner. I think you can get it on Amazon. Also maybe a diet change like someone suggested. What a sweet boy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts