German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help as the GSD we adopted hates our pug. He's been around alot of dogs and doesn't get aggressive with any of them. He's very well behaved and has been obedience trained. He's perfect in every way but I can't take him wanting to attack our female pug. We are wondering if maybe its her snorting. As of now we are still keeping them separated because he got her once and dropped her after we yelled at him. I know he could kill her easily but when he did snatch her up he didn't break skin. The breeder brought out a choker collar to keep him on and walked both of them and it took alot to keep him from wanting to get her. I'm beyond heart broken at the idea of him going back but I don't think he will ever be trusted around her. Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
You say you adopted this dog, and then you mention a breeder. So is this an older dog you rescued, or a puppy you purchased?
How old is this dog?
Either way, it is your responsibility to keep the new dog away and on leash, or behind baby gates, and keep him from harassing the resident dog.
I would not trust a new German Shepherd to be loose until I would be sure that it is fully trained, and understands that messing with the pug is a no no.
I would recommend a trainer, one experienced in German Shepherds, the sooner the better.

Reactions: Shefali

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
How old is the dog and what is his background? How old is the pug? If it was me and I didn’t want to spend a lot of time managing the dogs, I would return the new dog and let the pug have a carefree life. It’s possible the pug does something aggressive toward the new dog that you aren’t noticing, but she was there first and it’s her home. It’s possible he thinks she is prey. He can easily kill or seriously injury her, even on accident with that kind of behavior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes he was one of her puppies that came back to her after owner past. She also train's in obedience. He is just aggressive towards our pug. She works with him on Mondays in my home. But I don't think he will ever be trusted with our pug and its really not fair to either of the dogs to be kept from roaming the house. Our pug is very friendly and playful and I just dont know if he can be taught to love her at his age?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I’ve never had a pug but had shar pei for 17 years. Lots of dogs would attack them because of their appearance and sounds that they make, snorting including. In this kind of situation unless you are prepared to crate and rotate it’s not safe for the pug. How old is she? I would think a male/female combination normally have a chance..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old is the dog and what is his background? How old is the pug? If it was me and I didn’t want to spend a lot of time managing the dogs, I would return the new dog and let the pug have a carefree life. It’s possible the pug does something aggressive toward the new dog that you aren’t noticing, but she was there first and it’s her home. It’s possible he thinks she is prey. He can easily kill or seriously injury her, even on accident with that kind of behavior.
He is 6 and she is 3. Yes it's her house and he will have to go if he keeps up the aggressive behavior. I keep them separated now and am thinking its her wanting to be playful and it has made him think she is after him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve never had a pug but had shar pei for 17 years. Lots of dogs would attack them because of their appearance and sounds that they make, snorting including. In this kind of situation unless you are prepared to crate and rotate it’s not safe for the pug. How old is she? I would think a male/female combination normally have a chance..
She is 3. And I do think it's the breathing noise that he don't like.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
He is 6 and she is 3. Yes it's her house and he will have to go if he keeps up the aggressive behavior. I keep them separated now and am thinking its her wanting to be playful and it has made him think she is after him.
The breeder comes to your house? What does she say?

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
He - the new guy GSD - is 6. I guess one key question may be how long has he been at your house? He could just be trying to keep her in her place as he is the senior dog. He could have just picked up a dislike for small dogs in his 6 years. It could be her position in the house he feels is not right, it could be her snorting, it could be either you or he is miss reading her intentions (as in just maybe there's more to her 'going after him' than "play." ) For whatever reason, he does not like her. I'd say this isn't a good home. He needs to go back.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
You can reason about it until the cows come home but I think you will never be able to trust the dog. I would return him ASAP. Pugs are hard to understand to many dogs: the snorting, the large bulging eyes, facial wrinkles and the hard to communicate tightly curled tail often invite trouble.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts