German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had GSDs all my life and I have always raised them from puppy to adult. But now since i lost my last GSD im ready for a new friend so I am looking at a 7 y/o male GSD. My question is...is it a good idea to adopt one at this age?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
There are several people on here that have done so. I will be bringing home a 7 yr old female tomorrow to hang with my 10 month old male. Will let ya know how it goes!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It's a great age to adopt: you know what his personality is like, he's housebroken, and you know what his general health is. Older dogs usually take less effort and they appreciate you all the more.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just took in a 8.5 year old female as a companion to my 1.5 year old male and it's been an excellent match, she's a bit spunky but not nearly as much as my male and for the most part is calm and well behaved. It's always nice to give the older guys a second chance. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think that the older one will bond just as good you or your kids? I plan on picking up Saturday and before I do I would like your thoughts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My mom's gsd is 6 yrs old and we've been talking about taking her- I know she would be a wonderful addition to our family no matter what her age.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Sometimes I think they bond more as they are so grateful for a new home. I have been a foster home for a long time and some of the older dogs are bonded within minutes. My current six year old foster is unbelievably bonded and she worships the ground I walk on - it's kind of embarrassing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are really making me feel better about this. He is a big boy and a big baby. Cant wait to get him home.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I never had a big dog at home when I was a kid but the farm dogs I was around during the summer bonded with me really quick. Puppies will not let a kid use them as a pillow.:D

I just got an old GSD who bonded with me really fast, of course Abby is a special dog (as I am sure yours will be).

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how do you know what his personality
is if you're adopting?

It's a great age to adopt: you know what his personality is like, he's housebroken, and you know what his general health is. Older dogs usually take less effort and they appreciate you all the more.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think any age is a good age to adopt.

I have had GSDs all my life and I have always raised them from puppy to adult. But now since i lost my last GSD im ready for a new friend so I am looking at a 7 y/o male GSD. My question is...is it a good idea to adopt one at this age?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The foster home can tell you and you can get a pretty good idea of what they are like for yourself when you meet him before you adopt.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have had mostly rescue dogs I got as adults (mostly stray rescues) and I've never had a dog have a problem bonding with me. I got Bianca when she was 4 1/2 years old and she bonded with me very quickly and strongly. Unfortunately it took me a lot longer to bond with her because I was still getting over losing my two senior dogs, (lost them both to cancer within 3 months of each other) but even despite me not reciprocating very well she bonded to me right away.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i say go for it. they bond nicely and seem more grateful for the home. I'm sure all with be great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Got him home today and he just cant stop playing with his new toys I bought him. One prob though. I cant tell if he has ear mites orr if the prev owner did not take care of his ears. I tried to clean them out as good as I could when he let me, I was able to get some wax out and it was a little crusty around the ear. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I'd have the vet check him out. You want to do that with any new dog anyway. Congrats on your new addition. Having adopted an adult GSD myself, I have to say I don't think I would ever adopt another puppy. Please keep us posted.
Jan

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Oh - He is beautiful. What is his name? I wish you many, many happy years together.
Jan

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
He is handsome, good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts