German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where did my perfectly house trained puppy disappear to?

She was perfect! We left her out during the day, 8 hours, she never touched anything other than her toys. She never destroyed a single thing in the house other than a couple of my hats when she was really little and even then it was just some teeth marks in the bill and a bit of torn cloth (still serviceable for their purpose). After she got her training in or a play session or two with obedience mixed in she was calm and wasn't in your face demanding.

Now that she's hit 1 it's like a switch was flipped, she's pushier, more demanding, she's had to go back in her crate during the day as she started shredding shoes/hats/carpet/anything that she could find. She's more aggressive during play, and takes longer to get into work mode during training, she's gone back to land sharking when she can convince us to play. It's like having a puppy all over again.

Part of this is my fault. I do the more intense training and I'm in public accounting so this time of year is rough 75-80hr weeks (or more) and I can't devote the same level of attention to her. And the wife mostly incorporates training into play time, and our yard is on an incline so she's in stellar physical shape, basically doing an hour of hill sprints every day. lol

Is it possible to fast forward to 3 years old? Cause that would be awesome. LOL

(ETA: I forgot counter surfing! She's sneaky about it too, she ate two 8oz filet mignon's once when the wife went to the bathroom.)

As I said in the title though, this is just a vent. Millicent (Millie) is amazing, WL from sire Czech & WGWL x ASL bitch, she's very much her father's daughter though and she LIVES to work. I take her to a professional IPO trainer/breeder who's won at the national level. Millie is extremely intelligent & obedient, and I should be able to put a BH on her once I get through with my busy season & have more time to proof her routine under distractions. Because of her we'll NEVER be without a GSD in our home!

Point being she's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that she was so good before that not being able to trust her is a real bummer. So share with me your stories of the worst thing your dog did, so I can stop complaining about my petty problems. :grin2:

Reactions: Femfa

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
That sounds more like training issues rather than adolescence. My shepherd is also 1 year old, I could leave a steak on the floor in front of him and leave the room and he wouldn't touch it let alone counter surf. It certainly sounds like you have your hands full with work, that must be exhausting! I'd work on more obedience, have your wife help... and don't leave food anymore on the counter. If you can enroll the dog in a class and have the wife take him once a week.. tire out the mind. But since you asked for adolescent stories I'll share mine... our boy hasn't been in his crate since he was 4 months old or so, we leave him roaming the house home alone. So normally when I come home everything is in order in the house, he was a good boy and just took a nap... nope! Yesterday I came home and he was sleeping on the couch with my husbands boxers :surprise: !!! Not torn up or anything but just tucked under his paw like a teddy bear LOL! He went in the laundry basket and picked them out all by himself :|

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds more like training issues rather than adolescence. My shepherd is also 1 year old, I could leave a steak on the floor in front of him and leave the room and he wouldn't touch it let alone counter surf. It certainly sounds like you have your hands full with work, that must be exhausting! I'd work on more obedience, have your wife help... and don't leave food anymore on the counter. If you can enroll the dog in a class and have the wife take him once a week.. tire out the mind. But since you asked for adolescent stories I'll share mine... our boy hasn't been in his crate since he was 4 months old or so, we leave him roaming the house home alone. So normally when I come home everything is in order in the house, he was a good boy and just took a nap... nope! Yesterday I came home and he was sleeping on the couch with my husbands boxers :surprise: !!! Not torn up or anything but just tucked under his paw like a teddy bear LOL! He went in the laundry basket and picked them out all by himself :|
Ha! He just missed Dad, so he got something that smelled like him to cuddle with :grin2:

Ehh, sort of, she's pretty much stopped that after a spanking and she's never done it to me just the wife, who's more permissive with her. However if either of us tell her to sit, stay, whatever we could toss a steak on the ground and leave the room and she wouldn't move. It's when she was free and thought she could get away with it...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Ha! He just missed Dad, so he got something that smelled like him to cuddle with :grin2:

Ehh, sort of, she's pretty much stopped that after a spanking and she's never done it to me just the wife, who's more permissive with her. However if either of us tell her to sit, stay, whatever we could toss a steak on the ground and leave the room and she wouldn't move. It's when she was free and thought she could get away with it...
You spank your dog....? You do realize she's not a child but an animal with teeth that could learn to bite back if you get physical with her. I wouldn't be correcting that way it will just lead to more issues.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You spank your dog....? You do realize she's not a child but an animal with teeth that could learn to bite back if you get physical with her. I wouldn't be correcting that way it will just lead to more issues.
No I had no idea she was an animal with teeth, I thought she was an actual human baby. Crap... this changes everything

Reactions: Aly

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is she intact? She might be coming into heat if she is.
Yes, she's intact. Amazon says we ordered her diaper in December, which would make it smidge early but she's still a pup so I dunno. I'll keep an eye on it for sure, thanks!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
855 Posts
My girl just turned a year and is also a total terror, and is actually going through the exact same thing as yours. That being said, my girl was never a perfect angel to begin with, haha! Trusting her out of her crate for 8 hours? I'd come back to a house on fire with her wagging her tail excitedly at me while it burned. I chalk about 50% of it to training, 50% of it to just adolescence.

After her first heat at 9 months, she calmed right down and was so sweet. Calm, cuddly, just wanted to lay around all day. Now that she's a year, it's like she's a 4 month old again - a lot of the puppy behaviours that had extinguished from the 5 month to that 10 month point came right back to the surface. Seriously. It's like I'm watching my 4 month old dog in a year old dog's body. The way she plays, the way she gets excited, everything. The nippiness that had disappeared resurfaced. And I'm the kind of person who attends obedience training 2x a week, as well as Schutzhund 2x a week, every week. I've only missed 16 classes in total of obedience training after Ryka hit 4 months old. Schutzhund started at 8 months. Sometimes it's just that "teenage" stage for some dogs. You can have a dog who has great obedience but poor manners, which happens to be my case... heh. Her manners in public are just fine, but the darn dog loves to counter surf, jump up when you come home, etc. We've been working on stopping it, but consistency is key and unfortunately no one else that I live with is as consistent as I am, so the poor behaviour is often reinforced through them.

To be honest, and not many will agree with me, but I've spoken with my trainer to use an e-collar to prevent counter surfing. With some dogs the behaviour extinguishes when the reward percentage is consistently 0, but not with my dog. She hasn't gotten a single thing off the counter for probably 2 months straight now, yet still does it just to see if she can. Even if there's absolutely nothing on the counter, she can still smell remnants. She's the type of dog that investigates everything and has the confidence that if she tries hard enough, she'll get what she wants. So the behaviour in totality needs to be extinguished for us. It's very frustrating having a dog who knows how to open baby locks on the cabinet doors into the garbage can too, lol. We've had to invest in the baby locks that use a magnet to unlatch, otherwise she can open the other simpler types. She also knows how to open the large storage containers that have the locking handles onto the lid. So trust me, I feel your pain!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You answered your own question. Less time means less exercise. Get her tired before you leave and she won’t tear up the house.
Fair enough, but I didn't do morning training before she started acting up either and unfortunately with a 40+ minute commute with no traffic it ain't likely when I have to be in the office. Fortunately, I'll be working from home alot most of the rest of the year so hopefully she'll have improved by November. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My girl just turned a year and is also a total terror, and is actually going through the exact same thing as yours. That being said, my girl was never a perfect angel to begin with, haha! Trusting her out of her crate for 8 hours? I'd come back to a house on fire with her wagging her tail excitedly at me while it burned. I chalk about 50% of it to training, 50% of it to just adolescence.

After her first heat at 9 months, she calmed right down and was so sweet. Calm, cuddly, just wanted to lay around all day. Now that she's a year, it's like she's a 4 month old again - a lot of the puppy behaviours that had extinguished from the 5 month to that 10 month point came right back to the surface. Seriously. It's like I'm watching my 4 month old dog in a year old dog's body. The way she plays, the way she gets excited, everything. The nippiness that had disappeared resurfaced. And I'm the kind of person who attends obedience training 2x a week, as well as Schutzhund 2x a week, every week. I've only missed 16 classes in total of obedience training after Ryka hit 4 months old. Schutzhund started at 8 months. Sometimes it's just that "teenage" stage for some dogs. You can have a dog who has great obedience but poor manners, which happens to be my case... heh. Her manners in public are just fine, but the darn dog loves to counter surf, jump up when you come home, etc. We've been working on stopping it, but consistency is key and unfortunately no one else that I live with is as consistent as I am, so the poor behaviour is often reinforced through them.

To be honest, and not many will agree with me, but I've spoken with my trainer to use an e-collar to prevent counter surfing. With some dogs the behaviour extinguishes when the reward percentage is consistently 0, but not with my dog. She hasn't gotten a single thing off the counter for probably 2 months straight now, yet still does it just to see if she can. Even if there's absolutely nothing on the counter, she can still smell remnants. She's the type of dog that investigates everything and has the confidence that if she tries hard enough, she'll get what she wants. So the behaviour in totality needs to be extinguished for us. It's very frustrating having a dog who knows how to open baby locks on the cabinet doors into the garbage can too, lol. We've had to invest in the baby locks that use a magnet to unlatch, otherwise she can open the other simpler types. She also knows how to open the large storage containers that have the locking handles onto the lid. So trust me, I feel your pain!
LOL

Your girl sounds like a hoot, from over here where she's not setting my house on fire :rofl:

Your story did indeed make me feel better so cheers to you! :toasting:

Reactions: Femfa

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Ahh sounds like a combination of your current working hours and adolescence, pushing boundries etc.

Our teenage stories... ahhh spent $300 on a new kennel and came home to find it all ripped up.
Ate all the electric wires to the AC units outside
Dug a hole in the middle of the garden the size of spa

LOL

Actually he has been really good considering all the time he spends alone.

Now he just steals socks :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts