German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when my dog turned about 11 months, he went through what I consider a rebellious stage. He would knowingly flaunt his disobedience to commands that he knew and understood, and which, just a week prior, he had been obeying.

Now, at 14 months, the rebellion seems over? Yesterday, he was acting a bit wild while we were trying to relax over dinner, so I told him to go in his crate. Even though he knows that will force him to take a rest he went straight into his crate. (After dinner, I took him for a walk - I know the reason he was hyper - he needed to burn off some energy)

Now, he still acts like a puppy sometimes. He's easily distracted at the park, for example, but in that case he's not trying to actively disobey me, he's just in "puppy" mode. The rest of the time he has become very obedient and I'm loving it.

So, my question - is the teenage rebellion over, or is this just the eye of the hurricane?

With my last GSD, a female, I never had to deal with a "rebellious stage". Once she reached a year old she would give me the occasional "dominance challenge" where she would deliberately disobey a command and watch my reaction. I'd firmly handle it and then she'd be perfectly behaved for another 6-8 months.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Each dog is different. Nads went through 1 rebel stage and then seemed to have a second smaller one 3 months later.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are male dogs more rebellious than female dogs in general, or is this just a very individual thing?

·
Registered
Hi, it’s Andre
656 Posts
How did you handle it or what did you find did it best?

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I never noticed rebellion in Deja but the male more so. But if you are consistent from the time you et them as a tiny cutie, you shouldn't have that many issues. It is actually pretty comical if you recognize it for what it is. Bo is almost a year and once in a while tries to outsmart me but I have his number.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Are male dogs more rebellious than female dogs in general, or is this just a very individual thing?
Again as many answers are there are dogs. Female dogs TEND to be more serious, males more goofy. Males can be more of a butthead, sometimes thought of as rebellious I think but think "head strong"

My girls have been more super obedient but Harley wants to please more. Rogan is super strong willed but chill about it. That's it except for thousands of exceptions:ROFLMAO:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts