German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our 2 dogs up to the parent's house to play in the pool on Saturday, which we've done before. The Rottie spent his first 2 years living there and grew up with their 3 (2 females, 1 male, older) golden retrievers. We have taken our GSD there many times since she was a puppy and she never had any issue with them. It was just our 2 dogs outside when some friends showed up to hang by the pool. We gave them strict instructions to ignore and not approach the GSD (she had an incident with a neighbor who approached her too fast and didn't wait as I told her to). She was a little anxious in the beginning but eventually went up to several people giving kisses, tail wagging, wanting to interact. She had a few pets on her terms and all was well. We let the goldens out and the GSD ended up going after the younger female (11) it may have been over a toy but I'm not positive. She did not actually bite, but teeth snapping, snarling and what not. We put her back on the leash, did some focus work until she calmed down. The goldens did not want to walk past her to get back in the house at this point. The oldest female (14) was just standing there and again, GSD went after her this time. Our Rottie came over and was trying to get GSD to back off. I corrected her immediately and as soon as she saw the golden again while I was trying to remove her from the situation she went barking like crazy and wanted to get to her. She was clearly agitated and then became nervous of people coming in and out of the pool area. We knew it was time to leave. I was feeling great about her positive experience with people and building her confidence and then very upset with how the day ended. I know it was a big day for her, and at this age there is a lot going on internally. We are going on vacation for 5 days in a few weeks and had planned on leaving the dogs at the parent's house but I'm really worried now about her going after the goldens, never mind her being nervous of people coming in and out.

Just as a side note, this morning she laid in her crate rather than being near me while getting ready. Not like her at all. I've only ever seen her go in there when the smoke alarm goes off and she is obviously frightened. I'm not sure if she's still being sensitive to me or this is hormonal teenager hood and we have to push through.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I definitely would not leave her with your parents. And I would not let her interact with people she doesn't know. If petting has to be on her terms, she is clearly not enjoying it, rather it is a source of stress. No off lead at all. You have to prevent these incidents from happening going forward. It sounds like it was close to getting out of control and you don't want to have your parent's elderly dogs (or any dogs) hurt.

In order to give any other advice most will ask if you had a trainer for her? If not definitely go that route if humanely possible. It is hard to say what stuff like this is sight unseen.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Your Rottweiler did not come over to try to get your dog to back off. Dogs don't think like that. He came over to join the fight. Thank goodness it did not occur

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your Rottweiler did not come over to try to get your dog to back off. Dogs don't think like that. He came over to join the fight. Thank goodness it did not occur
I have to disagree with you on this. He specifically came over and disrupted the GSD and then left. He's been the peacekeeper with other dogs as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely would not leave her with your parents. And I would not let her interact with people she doesn't know. If petting has to be on her terms, she is clearly not enjoying it, rather it is a source of stress. No off lead at all. You have to prevent these incidents from happening going forward. It sounds like it was close to getting out of control and you don't want to have your parent's elderly dogs (or any dogs) hurt.

In order to give any other advice most will ask if you had a trainer for her? If not definitely go that route if humanely possible. It is hard to say what stuff like this is sight unseen.
It was only 2 people she didn't know and once I saw her interact I reigned her back in. No realistic way to keep a dog on leash while jumping into a pool. I monitored everything closely. Again these are dogs she's grown up with. She's been there for parties, and entire days in close quarters with them. It's not like it was a strange environment with random dogs.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I don't want this to sound harsh, but you are going down the path of someone who asked a question but doesn't want to hear the answer.

Not saying you should have known to prevent what had happened..I am talking about going forwards. Now that she has reacted to 2 new people and dogs she knew, she has effectively lost any off leash privileges until you get with a good trainer and figure it out. Not saying you should have been able to predict this, I am saying now that you know, the responsible thing is no more off lead, get a trainer and get professional opinions. Or decide to just manage it which again means no more off lead around other dogs and new people. It would not be fair to risk someone else's dog or person again, even if it means your dog can't jumo freely into the pool at pool parties.

It stinks, we know. It';s not a judgement over what did happen..as plenty of us here have dogs that are a no go with new people and other dogs. It is what you do from this point on (now that you know) that would be subject to judgement, if you know what I mean.

If you share your area, I am sure someone here would know a good breed savvy trainer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want this to sound harsh, but you are going down the path of someone who asked a question but doesn't want to hear the answer.

Not saying you should have known to prevent what had happened..I am talking about going forwards. Now that she has reacted to 2 new people and dogs she knew, she has effectively lost any off leash privileges until you get with a good trainer and figure it out. Not saying you should have been able to predict this, I am saying now that you know, the responsible thing is no more off lead, get a trainer and get professional opinions. Or decide to just manage it which again means no more off lead around other dogs and new people. It would not be fair to risk someone else's dog or person again, even if it means your dog can't jumo freely into the pool at pool parties.

It stinks, we know. It';s not a judgement over what did happen..as plenty of us here have dogs that are a no go with new people and other dogs. It is what you do from this point on (now that you know) that would be subject to judgement, if you know what I mean.

If you share your area, I am sure someone here would know a good breed savvy trainer.
If I didn't want insight or advice I wouldn't be posting here right? :) I am trying to find balance and build confidence in her. It's not going to be done alone at home. It was a low key day which was going well and she's never displayed any signs of an issue with those dogs so it seemed like progress. Hindsight is always 20/20.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
" (she had an incident with a neighbor who approached her too fast and didn't wait as I told her to)"

What kind of an incident?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yes, this is a fearful dog with a low threshold. When she gets overwhelmed, she releases stress by going after people or dogs.

Now you know.

You are NOT alone, and lots of us have dogs we don't take to backyard BBQs. It's OK, nothing to be ashamed of, just make sure to be realistic in your expectations.

As for training confidence, that will help in different scenarios, but I would never test this dog again by bringing her out in a crowd of people and kids and other dogs. It's too much for her to handle, and that is unlikely to change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts