German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while I was outside with the girls, Emma was doing her run like crazy deal, and we live on a back country road and never see and kind of police...But today the Sherriff drove past, and I noticed he was going very very slow, he rolled down the window and sit there and smiled and gave a big old wave and a yell hello, and that Emma was beautiful...I'm thinking he may have been a K-9 officer at some point in his carreer, cause he sure was making a fuss over her...But it was nice to actually have someone stop and talk about her!

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's a cop thing. I'm married to a cop ( well he just retired. Now is an animal cruelty investigator)
A lot of the officers just love the breed. Most of my fosters have gone to police officers. It's like they are naturally drawn to them when they see them!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I remember the first time a cop stop to admire Shane. I actually thought I was in trouble. I was walking Shane around a stripe mall (for socialization) and this guy jumps out from behind us (we couldn't see him b/c of a wall) and goes "CAN I PET YOUR DOG!" Shane and I both got scared and well Shane wasn't happy and wanted to go after (luckily I had reined). The police officer (patrolling the mall), saw the WHOLE thing, pulled over, comes walking over (no smile), just directly staring at me and says "What a beautiful Shepherd! What is his name?!" What a big relief. The cop was very impressed the way Shane had his eyes on the guy who scared us. The guy was waiting to pet Shane (I told him no, Shane was training), so he sat on the bench and while the cop and I were talking...Shane was looking straight at him as if to say "Go ahead...make my day!"

It is really is a great feeling when you have someone to talk about your Shepherd.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
There's an officer in my town that want Apollo for his own! And he even has a GSD!

G

·
0 Posts
I wish I had a dollar for every time a police officer stopped to see one of my dogs. Yep, Kularing is right, it's a cop thing.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Several years ago when I had Jasmine, someone (most likely a kid) threw a rock through a neighbors window and took off running through my backyard. The neighbor came and knocked on my front door to warn me that there might be someone in my backyard, so I took Jasmine outside with me and waited with the neighbor for the police to arrive. Luck would have it that a K-9 officer took the call.

I asked him if he could take the K-9 dog through my backyard after he had finished taking the report just to make sure there was no one hiding in the bushes (it was very over grown at the time and there were plenty of places to hide).

After a while he came up to the house and knocked on the door. Since I was expecting him to have the K-9 dog out, I put Jasmine up in the bedroom before I opened the door. When I got to the door he said he had already walked through the back yard, but he wanted to know if he could see my GSD. LOL

I brought Jasmine out to meet him (while his K-9 barked his head off from inside the patrol car) and we talked for a few minutes about the breed. He had the coolest tatoo of a GSD head on his shoulder with K-9 under it.

When I was in college, I worked in the computer lab and my boss allowed me to bring Jasmine with me if I had to work late at night by myself. One night as I was leaving work, I was stopped by campus police. I thought he was going to say something about me having a dog in one of the buildings. No he just wanted to see Jasmine and give her some beef jerky that he had with him.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
GSD's are mostly highly respected IMO! Their intelligence cannot be compared, and they have such a silly playfulness when not on "duty". My dd's best friend's dad is a county po-po and they have a GSD. Unfortunately, they don't do alot with her, so
Trinity has not been able to live up to her potential. DD's friend would love to be able to take her to training, or join 4-H but a busy life many children, leaves little room for the poor dog.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yup, its a cop thing. Most of us work side by side with our K9 handlers so we are around the breed a lot, and we learn to admire the breed real quick. Anyone who has seen a GSD work in a real life situation will learn to love them. I was never a Mal fan either until we got one, now I stop and check out every Mal I see too.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
We often work our SAR (most of them are GSD's) dogs on the local University campus, its a great place to work and sometimes we get extra subjects interested from the college kids. Anyway the campus police often stop and watch the dogs work. The only problem is that one of them fed Lexi a cheese cracker out of his patrol vehicle. Now every cop car she encounters must have the driver window checked for a cracker. She never touches their cars with her paws, just stands straight up on her back legs to see what they have got in there. They have gotten quite used to having a GSD pop up beside their car, and we have often had lengthy discussions with them about German Shepherds after training. They all just seem to love the breed.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, IMO GSD'x should be admired and looked at as graceful in so many words....In a town over they just raised enough money to buy all their K-9's bullet proof vest for the police K-9's...I was happy to hear that, but my goodness they are expensive at $1,100.00 a pop, but well worth it for a loved breed!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts