German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not have a section where the admins & mods introduce themselves? Maybe list a little about themselves, first names, what their qualifications are, etc. Are you a professional GSD breeder, trainer, etc. or "just" (no slight intended) someone who knows lots about GSDs and has a great interest in sharing that knowledge?

Also, new mods are added from time to time without any introduction. I usually discover them when I come across a name and think, "I don't remember that person as being a mod..." It would be nice to know when new mods are added.

Just a thought.

PS - I think we have a great group of admins and mods on this board. Thanks for the time and energy you put in to make this the great board that it is. It is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Excellent idea, Heidi's Mom.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: Admins & mods...

Patsy Brosz, South Dakota German Shepherd Rescue
Moderator of General Rescue & Adoption Forum

I have adopted 3 of my beloved GSDs from this board.

I teach K-9 Kindergarten and have been blessed with a waiting list with each class I teach. But I adore all my little students and strive to make the class informative, interesting and fun! We emphasize socialization (canine & human) and the realm of recognizing and reading body language. Basic obedience is also taught during this 6 week course. I also transport to repay those who have given of their time and money to help my beloved GSD rescues come home to our waiting hearts and hobby farm.

I am pictured on the left with a camera shy Jasmine and one of my training assistants, Sharon on the right. We were the final leg in the rescue & transport of Jasmine to her forever family here in South Dakota.

Thank you for the nice compliments you have paid us. Makes it all worth it!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
While some of the Moderators have tons of 'real' dog experience and background. Others are just dog lovers/owners BUT with calm minds and good sense that spend alot of time on this site. We have a mix of Moderators because it seems to make a good balance.

You can kind of get a sense of where most of our individual experiences are by seeing our 'nicknames' by the Avatar and also where we Moderate and/or post the most.

For me, my first dog was a yellow Lab, followed by 2 GSD's. I'm all about postive training, clickers, treats and toys! But I'm also the proud owner of a prong as well as an e-collar. Love hiking with my dogs, off leash and in the woods. My dog passion is agility!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

HA! I don't think Susan was asking for our bona fides! If so, I have no certificate to offer, other than a high level of neuroses and being a dog geek. Which I have yet to see officially recognized anywhere (YET)!

"Maybe list a little about themselves, first names, what their qualifications are, etc."

My name is Jean. The initials after my names are my pets' initials. I love the German Shepherd breed and hope to always have one with me. I also enjoy my mixes for the additional challenge that they offer (you can hear my mixes now can't you? Bidda? What? Biddability? that's a silly word!).

My first memory is getting my beagle puppy, Missy. When I was little I trained my sister's Golden-Shepherd (?) mix to walk, trot, canter, change lead, and go over a series of jumps and he was my econo-horse. In that same time, I taught my beagle nothing.

I almost had a nervous breakdown the first time I went into the Erie Humane Society looking at all the homeless animals and ended up bringing a puppy home to my parents from college for Christmas-after they were done exploding, he was my dad's best friend. That experience started me on the rescue thing, and when I could get my own dog I went there again and got my mentor Kramer.

He had more issues than you could shake a stick at (and shaking a stick at him was definitely an issue) and he was my project for 9 years before he was ready to be a good example for another dog. I got Bella, a lesser project, Kramer loved having a dog and with them I've had the chance to foster for BrightStar, sending dogs on to forever homes, and keeping the 4 foster failures that are the result of offering to take...project dogs! DUH!

I am now spending a lot more time and energy on my real job so I do not have time to do much active rescue-plus I spend a lot of time on my dogs. That and taking pictures of dogs! That is the most thorough biography I can imagine giving.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Quote: I have no certificate to offer, other than a high level of neuroses and being a dog geek.
I prefer the term "dog nut."

That's about it for me too. You all already know my name is Tracy--I live in St. Louis with my partner of 25 years, Paul, and our GSD, Luca, and Cardigan, Fanny. In just a few days we'll be adding a new bundle of joy to our lives--a Leonberger we have named Ellie. (more about her in Pictures forum)

Since childhood I've been owned by many different dogs--Great Dane, Std. Poodle, Daschund--and as an adult I have owned a Lab, a Mini Daschund, and a Dalmation mix, all now at the bridge.

What I know about dogs comes from lots of reading and doing. I'm always eager to try new things and gain new experiences with my dogs, and Luca and Fanny have been happy to serve as guinea pigs...we're involved in obedience, herding, and are new to agility--as well as constant neighborhood socializing. We can be seen in the cafes, coffee shops, parks (and even the fountains!) of our historic neighborhood in St. Louis almost daily.

Similarly, my knowledge of raw feeding has been by experience and willingness to just jump in and learn how by doing it. Like many here, I feel lucky to have learned from the Buddha of raw feeding, Laurie at Raw Dog Ranch. I help her moderate the BARF section, and share my passion for chicken leg quarters and turkey necks with anyone who will listen.

As someone new to the GSD breed, I also hope I can offer somewhat of a "newbie" perspective to our many new members. I help moderate the Introductions and a couple of the Puppy forums. My experience has been that owning this breed is a very different--even more difficult--experience than owning many others--and the extra effort pays off manyfold. Owning a GSD takes active, intelligent involvement as an owner. I can very often sympathize with those new members who find us searching for answers about ears, play biting, finicky eating, or playing in the water dish---been there, done that! At 3.5 years, Luca as matured into a wonderful, calm, intuitive soulmate...but it's taken 3 years of work to get there!

Other than that, I think they picked me to help moderate (they pick you, you don't volunteer) because I seem to spend a lot of time here! I enjoy this community and appreciate the diverse gang we've got here.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts

"TJ" -- My initials became my dog-world name after signing posts on the Board that way. After joining this Board on 11-25-02 I was thrilled on 11-25-03 when Rhaya the owner of this Board asked me to become a Mod. I am a Moderator of Chat Room / Guide, Therapy, & Service Dogs

I have been employed by the Sheriff's Office, Dept. of the Jail for over ten years and active with our Volunteer Fire Dept. for over 5.
In 2005 I founded Karl's Kids Program, Inc.and now am on the Staff and BOD.

I am an Admin and/or Mod on several other dog related Boards.
Last year I was asked to join the forming committee for and then was appointed County Assistant Coordinator of Emergency Pet-Friendly Shelters under the County Office of Emergency Management. I have an interest in the Disaster Field and became a Fire & Life Safety Instructor and involved with Disaster Planning and Training for both people and their pets. Some of my other activities are being an Advocate & Asst. Trainer for Assistance Dogs. I have been involved with Pet Rescue since the days when it was called taking in strays. I've been involved with Therapy Dogs and SAR. I am an AKC Canine Ambassador & a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Evaluator and a member of an all breed dog club.

And yes I do have a family life and friends.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Well, my name, obviously (
) is Kimberely. I've been a fan of the GSD for as long as I can remember. My parents wouldn't let me have one as a child (they were Cocker Spaniel enthusiasts) so I had to wait until I had a home of my own. I currently own two dogs, Asia and Chyna. Chyna is a PB GSD I adopted from an all-breed rescue and Asia is a GSD/Border Collie X that we rescued. I've been involved in rescue and have had a couple of GSD fosters over the last few years and have also fostered some litters of kittens.

I don't know that I have any areas of 'expertise', but I do have a decent amount of experience with NILIF, raw feeding and fostering. I've also worked with neglected and abused dogs.

Like most of us, I love animals in general and have owned dogs, horses, cats, ferrets, birds, various reptiles and a python. I also love (hence my avatar) snowboarding, wakeboarding, camping, dirtbikes and ATVs. I enjoy reading, writing and RPG games. I'm a real estate agent in Idaho, am married to a great husband and have three wonderful kids.

Whew! More than you ever wanted to know, huh?!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ain't it grand.... I love learning about my fellow Mods and Admins just as other members do.... I'm learning MORE <u>today</u> than I knew before! Wooohoooo!

Not only that but reading other forums has become a must for me. I preach NILIF to K9 Kindergarten attendees yet I need to know much more about it.

The diet of the dog is so ummm, consuming! Tracy, I have to see what that's all about. Yesterday after a canine relaxation and massage therapy class several of us were talking about our dog's nutritional needs and how we feel a need for improvement. I get raw meaty bones from a hutterite colony but would like to do more. I'm a terribly inconsistent owner! Lots of love to give but inconsistent as all get out. I HAVE to check out your area.

And Jean, lovely, Jean. In my next life, I'm appearing on your doorstep..... you rock with love, girl!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
i just want to take a min to thank you all, the mods and admin of this board are like no other. i belong to several dif types of forums, including air brushing, wet canvas, th Pitbull forum and a few other aquarium ones, yet im always on here. Why? because no matter how stupid a question may seem to be about a dog, whether its a gsd or not, you are here to help answer all the questions people ask and are always there to support everyone, whether they are a newbie or lifer.
You are truely fantastic and should all take a bow.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just wanted to add to the thank yous to the mods- this place is great, friendly, informative, and saves lives!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I think this is a great board and has a place for everyone.

I've only recently become a moderator after being on the boards for quite sometime. When I have time, I like to post in the Training and Behaviour section, but haven't been there in what seems years. I used to be a trainer at a small business, and have studied it quite a bit. I used to do some agility with my mixed breed Indy. She loved it, and misses it today.

I moderate in a few of the forums in the Health and Wellness Section. I have a now 11 year old dog (Indy) that was damaged by her vaccines when she was a puppy, and it completely changed my life -- made me a home-grown expert on a number of health topics just to keep her going. Well, then I married and with the new husband, came the young GSD, with a whole new set of health problems, and I had to start all over. He's actually the reason I haven't had time for much training.

I guess I should note, that I had to start all over with training too. Training Indy, mostly terrier and sighthound, sure is different than training a GSD!!

It's nice to be surrounded by other dog nuts.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
How wonderful it is to get to know the mods and admins...I'm glad to have read the wonderful things about you all! I love this site, very helpful and friendly!! I tell a lot of people about this place all the time, especially my fellow GSD owner friends!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,100 Posts
Well, I'm a little late to the party, but many of you already know my name is Debbie. I got my first GSD Sneaker in 1986 as a wedding gift for my husband Tom. He grew up with shepherds, and I was a cat person! We were together for 7-1/2 years before we got married, and used to joke about not ever being able to marry because he was a dog person and I was a cat person. We'd had a couple of badly behaved dogs when I was a kid, but we ALWAYS had cats. Tom hated cats, lol!

One of his clients found a baby kitten on the golf course and couldn't keep it. She asked Tom if he wanted her, and even though we were renting and not supposed to have pets, he brought her home for me. We had decided to get married the night before, so Punkin was his engagement present to me. We bought a house, and some friends of ours had GSD puppies, so we picked one out and brought her home after we got back from our honeymoon.

She was the best dog ever! Sneaker lived to 14-1/2, in good health up until almost the very end. She went through a nasty chewing phase as a youngster, but other than that she was great. She loved people, got along great with other dogs, and was so smart I swore she read my mind. When she lost her hearing at around age 12 we communicated through hand signals even though we'd never taught her any. I used to take her jogging with me on trails in the Oakland hills.

When she died in 2000 we got Cassidy, and we found out by accident that her breeder had owned Sneaker's sire. Although we loved her to bits, and she was scary smart, she was a handful. Very intense, high energy, and ball crazy. I was totally unprepared for the force of nature that was Cassidy, and anything I know about dog training is completely due to her. She was 20 weeks old when we got her, a wild and crazy girl with no manners whatsoever, and also highly leash reactive. Unlike Sneaker, who'd only had one obedience class, Cassidy was a work in progress for a long time, in classes almost constantly. We took special Difficult Dog classes to deal with her reactivity from Trish King at the Marin Humane Society, and made a lot of progress. She was my introduction to NILIF, and also the wonderful world of counter-conditioning and desensitization techniques.

Cassidy ended up being a pretty great dog, she loved people and was great with kids, and most other dogs off leash. We used to take her to Point Isabel every weekend, and she almost never lost a ball. We'd use a Chuck-it to launch it as far as we could into the tall grass where she couldn't see it and would have to use her nose. She'd run a grid until she found it, no matter how long it took. She would NOT give up. People would stop and watch her and comment on her determination. We'd joke that we had to take her out and run her butt off on the weekend so we could stand her the rest of the week.
Her favorite thing to do at home was to shove her tennis ball under the coffee table and then sit right in front of the TV and stare at us until we dug it out for her. And then she'd do it again, and again. Finally we had to find larger balls so she couldn't cram them under the table anymore. I think she was smarter than we were!

Sadly, she developed discospondylitis at 2-1/2 years old. We fought it for 20 months with everything I could find - diet, supplements, nutraceuticals, homeopathy, TCM, acupuncure, chiropractic treatments, you name it, I tried it. We spent a fortune on her, but ultimately, couldn't fix her. We put her to sleep at just over 4-1/2 years old, and it broke our hearts. When she was gone I almost didn't have the energy to start all over again, we had worked so hard and invested so much time and emotional energy in Cassidy, but I knew neither of us could stand the quiet empty house for long. I at least had my cats, but Cassidy was Tom's baby girl. So I set out to find a puppy that could fill that empty space in our home and our hearts.

I'd always wanted a longcoat, and we preferred a female, and there was Dena, just 3 or 4 weeks old at the time, and exactly what we were looking for. Five weeks later we flew to Oregon, rented a car, and drove her home. She was an absolute joy from minute one. I started teaching her everything I could remember from Cassidy's numerous classes. Dena was so good, even as a young puppy. She slept through the night, she didn't destroy things, she was sweet and affectionate, just wonderful in every way. She aced her obedience classes, and 4 days after she turned a year old and was eligible, we started agility. So far, we've only taken 3 rounds of classes and are just dabbling in it for fun.

When she was 13 months old a half brother was available, also a longcoat. It was way earlier than I had planned, but I did want a second dog, and a male longcoat was what I would have wanted anyway. With half the same genes as Dena we knew he'd be terrific, so we had him shipped down to us. It was actually a terrible time, I had fallen in agility and broken my shoulder two weeks prior, but when I saw that fuzzy face I had to have him! Keefer has turned out to be much drivier than his sister, but he's a lot of fun. Very happy all the time, very enthusiastic about everything, always ready to go, go, go! He's also my little shadow, stuck on me like glue - finally my OWN dog! He adores both of us, but he's definitely Mama's boy. All our previous dogs were females and every one of them was Daddy's girl. The description by the breeder was that he was very outgoing, very affectionate, and first to the food bowl, all of which has proved to be totally accurate.

Right after I got Keefer, I was approached about being a moderator. I was honored to be asked, but initially turned it down. I had a brand new puppy to train, no way did I have time for that! I was told I could have a couple of little used forums - Events & Club Info, and Favorite Books, Links, and Videos, that would take very little time. I agreed, and later I volunteered to be added to a couple of other forums - Stories, Finding a Good Trainer, Puppy Behavior, and Basic Care.

My 'expertise' is that I've owned GSDs for 22 years, have dealt with a serious medical issue as well as a few more minor ones, and consequently know a little about alternatives to traditional veterinary care (although not NEARLY as much as LisaT a few other board members!), have dealt with an 'issues' dog, have taken numerous obedience classes and some agility classes, but mostly we just enjoy spending time doing fun things with our dogs. We go to off leash parks so the dogs can play ball and swim, they've been to wineries, brewpubs, street fairs, music festivals, and on vacation with us. So I'm not really an expert at anything except having and loving GSDs, who have totally ruined me for any other breed. I can't imagine having any other kind of dog, and especially not having a GSD at all.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Love this section...even though I'm fairly new to the board and definitely to GSD's, I feel so comfortable here...

Everyone does a great job...thanks

·
Registered
27,212 Posts

'es to all of you admins and mods~ I thank you all, also for your patience for the newbie questions and the expertise you have. Debbie, you forgot to add that you take awesome pics of your beauties at the beach!
When I joined this site, I had dogs for over 20 years, but not the passion for them( I was into parrots). Now, the dogs are a very special part of my life, and alot of it has to do with the knowledge and interaction that everyone has on germanshepherds.com.

·
Registered
511 Posts

This thread was a great idea! How about all the mods/admin edit their posts to include pictures of their pets? (And for the very brave...pictures of themselves too!
)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts