German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently brought home my new 7 month old GSD on Sunday. Since bringing her home she has not came out of her kennel to eat until this morning when I was leading her to where her dog bowl was. I finally got her to eat some food but she just goes right back into her kennel after eating and won't let me take her outside to use the bathroom. I was going to go to my parents for Thanksgiving in Texas but I starting to think its not a good idea to go since she doesn't trust me yet and we will be coming from OKC (about an 7-8 hr drive). Is there anything I could do to help her feel safe and to trust me?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Talk softly to her as much as you can. Sit near her and talk to her. Get down on the floor with her. Let her follow you around the house. GSDs love to be with you once they bond. The kennel can be her safe place or her prison depending
on how she sees it.

Start a routine each day with her. Wake up and go out to potty same time. Feedings same time each day. Bedtimes
same each day.
I wouldn't travel with this girl. Her whole life has been upset and she's probably a scared nervous wreck already. She
needs to feel secure.
Do you have special toys for her to introduce? Special blankets? Any other animals around? Make sure she's eating and drinking enough water. Watch her stools for upset stomach or ulcer problems.

She will come around at her own choosing. Be gentle with her. She's still a baby.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
What was her home life like where she came from? I would be concerned that she is still so fearful that she is refusing to leave her crate. If you leash her will she come out of the crate and go outside to potty?

Try not to baby her. Everything is awesome and normal, so use your voice to project that to her. "Look, there is the door and we can totally walk through it because everything is wonderful".

She probably would be overwhelmed traveling at this point.

Sheilah

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
She should not be around anyone but you until she is more comfortable with you. If you leave her home, who would take care of her? If you can’t take her outside, how does she pee? I would leave her in an open crate and put some fun toys in with her and then put treats and toys in different places around the room within reach. Then I would ignore her completely until she starts to venture out. Then a very quiet, Good girl when she does what you want her to do. If she approaches you, Good girl. Don’t reach for her or grab at her. Let her come to you. I would put some of her food in a bowl in the room with me, then go sit down and do something else, ignoring her. You want her to start moving around the room which for now is more important than interacting with you.

What is her history? Where was she when you adopted her? Was she bonded with anyone in her prior home or shelter? Has she been to the vet to make sure she is healthy?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Try moving her around the inside of the house on a leash. She may feel more at ease. Get treat like human cheese, peanut butter something to coax her to hang with you. Kennel is all she knows for comfort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts