German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started my five year old boxer on adequin. How long before it take effect?

The chiropractor adjusted her a week ago and gave her the first adequin shot. Last week she showed on again off again discomfort.

Last night she was VERY sore and lame so I gave her the second adequin shot.

She seems fine this morning but she always starts the day well and then after rough housing with the shepherd all day she is sore.

I go back next week to see if there is more I can do for her knees. She had acl surgery on both knees. I thought she might have arthritis later in life. I wasn't expecting problems so soon.

In retospect I wonder if bring a pup into the home was wise. They <u>adore</u> each other but it is taking a toll on her body.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Awww...she is young.

You need to do the loading dose first.

That is 2 shots/week for a month=8 shots.

Then you can taper off to a less regular schedule. Kramer goes 2-3 weeks between shots.

I saw results from the loading after about 4 shots/2 weeks when his hind end could be pushed down without collapsing. He's 15 and been on it for 2 years.

http://www.adequancanine.us/about/en/works.shtml

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Doggie opc
Market america sells it (pet health)
I have had Brady on it. He use to get 2-3 ear infections a year since he has been on it Nothing.
My friend had her dog on it, she had trouble getting up and moving also once she had lacy on it no trouble seriously look into it or if you want I can send you the link

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
It was very close to the end of the shot series before Annabelle showed any signs of improvement. I think she had 2 shots left to take or something like that.

Since then she's been fine and has needed no pain killers at all.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i didn't really see any improvement with toby until after the initial loading dose. i think it just depends on the individual. adaquin can have very visable results and or not so visable. certainly if any dog has arthritic issues it can't hurt to add adaquin to the regiman.

debbie

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks.
I was not told about the loading dose. Helps to know. Are there any negitive side effects to adequin? Also can/do you give metacam or derramax while on it?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
The only side-effects that Annabelle suffered was occasional nausea after getting her shot, but that would fade away throughout the course of the day.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Michelle,

My Jasper gets adequan 1x a month. I also went through the loading phase (2 shots a week for a month, 1 shot a week for a month, then 1 shot a month), it really is the best way to go.

My surgeoan wanted to try a one time injection (after Jaspers elbow surgery), however my primary doc wanted to do the loading phase, and the 1 shot a month for life theory (and I am glad I did), it has helped Jasper so much.

To your question, my doc said it affects every dog different, some respond faster then others. Jasper didn't respond until the very last shot on the loading phase (smooth sailing after that).

Any questions, pm me.

Good luck

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Originally Posted By: mjb03thanks.
I was not told about the loading dose. Helps to know. Are there any negitive side effects to adequin? Also can/do you give metacam or derramax while on it?
Package insert I found on the web: http://www.luitpold.com/canine/education/insert.htm

I think the actual insert I have says to be cautious in using on dogs with known kidney/liver problems-I am not sure about that, so double check. Also, Kramer had a liver tumor and I cannot say how that happened-but he's 15 so it's not like a shocker-and even after it was removed, I keep him on the Adequan because it gives him such quality of life.

According to their FAQ you can use with NSAIDS:
http://www.adequancanine.us/about/en/faq.shtml

I use it with Tramadol on him. I think Jack does with Jasper too.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Yes, I also use Tramadol-not every day, just on a real rough day0 (Target fills my prescription with prescription from my vet), it's like somewere between $3.00 to $5.00.

Only side effect I know of is blood thinning (and letting vet or surgeon know that dog is on adequan prior to a surgery.

Michelle, I pm'ed you with the other info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts