German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know about Adequan till reading a thread on here... so I went to the manufacturer's site and it said "slows process of cartilage breakdown", "supports repair process", and "unlike nutritional supplements, is FDA approved"... SO, I give my dogs glucosamine... since we work so hard, I want to maximize joint health as I'm assuming all the wear and tear will lead eventually to arthritis. Would it be a good idea to us adequan as a preventative measure? Does anyone do that?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
There's an adequan shortage right now b/c the factory shut down. It won't go online again until the end of the year, probably. Please, please don't use up the limited supply for prevention when there are so many dogs in pain who really need it badly to have quality of life. I'm currently chasing the limited inventory remaining at local vets, getting shots for my old senior wherever I can find it still in stock.

After supplies are back up to normal, then it's an interesting question. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's an adequan shortage right now b/c the factory shut down. It won't go online again until the end of the year, probably. Please, please don't use up the limited supply for prevention when there are so many dogs in pain who really need it badly to have quality of life. I'm currently chasing the limited inventory remaining at local vets, getting shots for my old senior wherever I can find it still in stock.

After supplies are back up to normal, then it's an interesting question. ;)
Well, I can appreciate that but a) its still a perfectly valid question that doesn't effect supply and demand if answered now... and b) I don't know that its entirely fair to say I shouldn't use it if its locally available to prevent a drop in quality of life (I'm mainly interested in my 6 year old actively trained dog)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I am not familiar with Adequan for dogs, but as far as I know with the horses (at my dressage barn anyway), it is more of a treatment than a preventative.

I have been a long-term user of Legacy pellets for my (now 5 years old active non-working) female as a proactive measure since she was 4 months old. Now that she is matured, I am thinking of switching to Grand Flex and alternating it with Syn-Flex. Again, as maintenance for joint health. She is also on fish oil and vitamin E as well, which also helps with joint care.

I know several owners/trainers with H.I. active/working dogs (SchH, Mondio, Agility) who use Grand Flex, so if Adequan ends up being scratched off your list, you can look into those products.

I know it does not really answer your question, but thought I would offer other alternatives to your post.

~ Rei

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Adequan is EXPENSIVE. 2 5ml vials for around 180$ (10 mls total). German shepherd would get about 3 mls - I know dose for arthritic pets is usually about every 1-2 weeks on maintenance. You do the math on that - no thank you just for prevention. A clinically lame pet or a pet that becomes lame once treatment is ended, I would use it.

Plus it does only come as an IM injectable - not the "nicest" form of arthritic prevention

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adequan is EXPENSIVE. 2 5ml vials for around 180$ (10 mls total). German shepherd would get about 3 mls - I know dose for arthritic pets is usually about every 1-2 weeks on maintenance. You do the math on that - no thank you just for prevention. A clinically lame pet or a pet that becomes lame once treatment is ended, I would use it.

Plus it does only come as an IM injectable - not the "nicest" form of arthritic prevention
Cost is relative, and my dogs go through a great deal of wear and tear in training. I consider anything i can do to counter that wear to be appropriate. The cost is not that bad. ~$350 the first month and then $50 per month.

·
Registered
504 Posts

I hate giving IM injections. Avoid it at all costs. I have had a few myself and the last ones I got I had a severe reaction to (not those particular meds) and it was awful, so no more for myself, I'll take oral or IV thanks. Even the most stoic dogs tend to react.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate giving IM injections. Avoid it at all costs. I have had a few myself and the last ones I got I had a severe reaction to (not those particular meds) and it was awful, so no more for myself, I'll take oral or IV thanks. Even the most stoic dogs tend to react.
I've taken lots of them. They aren't awesome, but not all that bad

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I mean it really comes down to your vet. Adequan requires a prescription. So this is a great conversation to have with your vet. I know those overworked mals that cant work anymore at 7 yrs old because of arthritis, let alone a heavier GSD. But yet again not something I personally would do (adequan for prevention)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Dasuquin is FDA approved and regulated - the only oral supplement I know of that is. Ive had this conversation with my board certified surgeons because berlin is a pup doing schutzhund that also has a full brother that fully matured at a healthy 100lbs. The orthopedic surgeons recommended dasuquin because it is fda regulated.

HOWEVER even they are on the fence about preventative measures and if it really does much to PREVENT arthritis vs helping treat it

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't think mine really hurt either ( and I'm not stoic). But I'm not a dog and I haven't taken the same meds in the injection as they do, some burn, etc. ;)
Had the ones that burn, had the ones as thick as want butter, had the ones that are heated before injection lol.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dasuquin is FDA approved and regulated - the only oral supplement I know of that is. Ive had this conversation with my board certified surgeons because berlin is a pup doing schutzhund that also has a full brother that fully matured at a healthy 100lbs. The orthopedic surgeons recommended dasuquin because it is fda regulated.

HOWEVER even they are on the fence about preventative measures and if it really does much to PREVENT arthritis vs helping treat it

Adequen seems to be very widely used for preventative and treatment in horses. Talked to my vet today and she said it would be a good idea. Adequen is also FDA approved

·
Registered
3,155 Posts

Not sure where you're getting that info from. Maintenance dose is once a month, sometimes recommended a little more frequently. The dosage for my 70lb dog is 1.5 ml. And I get it for $50 a vial(5ml) from Drs Foster and Smith. It comes out to about $15/month.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Not sure where you're getting that info from. Maintenance dose is once a month, sometimes recommended a little more frequently. The dosage for my 70lb dog is 1.5 ml. And I get it for $50 a vial(5ml) from Drs Foster and Smith. It comes out to about $15/month.
It varies pet to pet. We have clients that get it once a week. Clients that get it every 10 days. And clients that get it every 2 weeks. The german shepherd in our clinic gets 3 mls, once a week. We have a lab I know off the top of my head that gets 1.8 mls every 2 weeks.

Just because your dog gets a certain amount at a certain interval doesnt mean that's what every dog gets.

I will tell you we do not have a single pet at our clinic receiving treatment with it for arthritis that gets it less frequently than every 2 weeks

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star

It varies pet to pet. We have clients that get it once a week. Clients that get it every 10 days. And clients that get it every 2 weeks. The german shepherd in our clinic gets 3 mls, once a week. We have a lab I know off the top of my head that gets 1.8 mls every 2 weeks.

Just because your dog gets a certain amount at a certain interval doesnt mean that's what every dog gets.

I will tell you we do not have a single pet at our clinic receiving treatment with it for arthritis that gets it less frequently than every 2 weeks

You responded to a thread about someone asking whether Adequan works for prevention with a cost estimate for how much it costs for the worst case dogs?

The dosage is .02ml/lb, so about 1.5-1.8 for an average GSD. 3ml would be way more than the normal dosage. Also, the normal dosage is once/month. Yes, some people shorten it to 2-3 weeks, but 1-2 must be for the worst cases.

Yes, I gave the dosages for my dog because it's most likely going to be what the OP gives- not 3ml 1-2 week- as you did the math for that and said no thanks just for prevention.

If other people who are reading this thread are thinking about Adequan and don't know the normal dosages and prices, they may think - oh no way I'm going to try it, so I wanted to make it clear that it can be much less expensive than you have advised.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You responded to a thread about someone asking whether Adequan works for prevention with a cost estimate for how much it costs for the worst case dogs?

The dosage is .02ml/lb, so about 1.5-1.8 for an average GSD. 3ml would be way more than the normal dosage. Also, the normal dosage is once/month. Yes, some people shorten it to 2-3 weeks, but 1-2 must be for the worst cases.

Yes, I gave the dosages for my dog because it's most likely going to be what the OP gives- not 3ml 1-2 week- as you did the math for that and said no thanks just for prevention.

If other people who are reading this thread are thinking about Adequan and don't know the normal dosages and prices, they may think - oh no way I'm going to try it, so I wanted to make it clear that it can be much less expensive than you have advised.
The plumbs drug book lists the dose range as 4.4-5 mg/kg. the concentration I believe is 100mg/mL. it also lists multiple dosing schedules so technically you are both correct on that part and it depends on what each vet chooses to use. :)

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My vet said they have plenty... No shortage. Also got some lubrisyn to give all the dogs

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
there are so many foods to choose from that contribute to collagen integrity . -- antioxidants , anthocyanidins , good bio available protein sources , Vitamin C complete and natural , anti inflammatory full natural Vitamin E , omega 3's .......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts