German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't yet done a web search on this, but I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with this treatment for arthritis. My 9 y.o. girl has hip dysplasia, spondylosis, bone spurs, and arthritis. She took a sudden turn for the worse a few weeks ago, so I took her in and the vet gave her a steroid shot. Then came the "leaking" all over the house. I went through this with my other female, and not only do I not want to go through this again, but the poor dog pees while she sleeps, and it's got to burn her skin. I wipe her off the best I can before going to work ..The point is, I don't want to go the steroid route with her. The vet suggested an alternative: Adequaan....2 shots a week for a month, then taper off to about one shot a month. It's pricey, but he says it will relieve pain, improve her condition, and won't have the pee pee side affect. He also suggested I give her Omega 3 fish oil, which I just bought for her (and me) today. Have you heard of Adequaan? Know about this? Experience with it? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I have never heard of Adequan treatment before.

i have had nothing but postitive experiences with Omega 3 fish oil.

If you do decide to go with this treatment I hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Adequen has been used in horses for years.....and is being used in people too (maybe under another name)....it is like a super duper loading dose of glucosimine - ask about doing maintainence for the dog on MSM/Glucosimine after the shots

Good luck!

Lee

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Jack on the board uses Adequen on his dog for Elbows, I'm sure he'll pop in. I believe he's quite happy with the results.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My Max has been on Adequan for more than a year. It works for him. Actually it is a miracle drug for Max...I don't think it works for every dog, though.

Max has dysplasia and spondylosis, too. I can tell when we're getting close to needing the next shot as he gets "creaky".

Don't know why, but the cost per shot has gone down, from $27 to $20.

Good luck, hope it works for your girl, too.

Oh, and it did take a month for us to see any results.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
An Adequan thread:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=697677

I know there were more!

I just read in one of the others where Adequan was mentioned that Michaela's Heidi has been getting it for ten years!

Kramer has been on it for either two or three years-I need to find out. He goes every 2-3 weeks for a booster and the loading dose is so important (8 shots, 1st month). He's 15.5 (GSD mix).

It doesn't work for every dog but when it does, it's great. Kramer's been trotting around pretty well since his last shot last week.

I am going to try acupuncture with him next week to see if that does anything great. There's lots of stuff to try-Adequan is one that I really like.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
For the last few years of her life, Too took the Adequan injections with positive results. My late Kelly had terrible arthritis in his elbows, but the vet said Adequan wouldn't work for him because he had no cartilage left and Adequan needs cartilage to work.

If you can get a prescription from your vet, you can often save money on Adequan injections if you purchase it online and give the injections yourself.
http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/family/1522/Adequan_IM.asp
http://www.entirelypets.com/adequan.html

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much, everyone! This sounds really positive...
Hey Arycrest, I'm talking about Jasmine here! It's me!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Quote:I just read in one of the others where Adequan was mentioned that Michaela's Heidi has been getting it for ten years!
Yes, Heidi started on Adequan back in 1998
. It has been a miracle drug for her and without it she wouldn't be able to walk. My neighbor calls it "liquid gold" and he is a veterinarian.

I also been wanting to ask if anybody else is doing this but I give Heidi her Adequan at home now subcutaneous instead of IM. It has helped us a lot since I have a hard time getting Heidi to the vet for her injection and I am too chicken to give her the shot IM.

Michaela

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I used Adequan on my Ringo. It did not do much for him. What did work for him was his chiropractic adjustment once a week. It kept him moving for 3 extra years. He had DM and he had arthritis all in his spine. He loved his adjustments. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: JazzNScoutThanks so much, everyone! This sounds really positive...
Hey Arycrest, I'm talking about Jasmine here! It's me!
OMG Penny!!! I was just thinking of you this AM, in fact I was going to call you. I need a couple days break (long story, I lost Ringer the end of May and Kel this past Thursday and I just need to get away) and was thinking of going over to Daytona Beach - does Ponce Inlet still allow dogs on the beach? If so, I'll probably bring Honey and one of the other Hooligans over there for a short stay.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
We did an Adequan series for my dysplastic shepherd. It worked very well for her but we didn't see improvement until around the last shot.

I've heard a lot of great success stories and even had one myself, but also hear of dogs in which it does not help at all. Unfortunately you don't know which your dog is until you try it.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great. I think I'll go ahead with the shots and also look into some alternative treatments if that doesn't seem to kick in. I really appreciate it.

Gayle, do you want to come over next Sunday to the doggy beach (and the doggy restaurant)? I can take Scout. You won't believe he's the same dog. Jasmine is yet another "Miss NONCongeniality" ... All of my females have been real bitches
So sorry to hear about Ringer and Kelly....and so recently. I would love to meet Honey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts