German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been mulling over the recommended reading for a mouthy puppy for the last few weeks, but haven't found one that covers a specific part of my 4.75mo female GSD. When she bites (more teethes), the mouth is relatively soft and she's rather calm. Upon yelping, a corrective hiss or 'no', or any redirecting movement, she becomes more excited, and the teething bite, in all of the excitement, becomes quite uncomfortable. On a 'no', she'll lay off, but sit at a distance in her 'frustrated pose' and give of a similarly frustrated bark/whine. Going the route of a time-out is difficult, for moving makes the game even more fun, and ankles are the new target.

All of this seems like it's not working - namely a treat/click for release only teaches her that if she play bites, and releases, that she gets a treat. Getting up and attempting to ignore seems to give her a more exciting, moving target (it's hard to stay still at times when trying to make it boring). I'm really avoiding alpha-oriented methods...

She gets what I believe is a decent amount of exercise - I resigned from a job to 'raise' her, and almost daily when I go trail riding (bike), she follows off leash. This is typically 2-3 fast 15min downhill runs with the same number of 1/2hr breaks walking back uphill. This is all in addition to walks/play.

My plans of action from here seem kind of iffy:

- Throw together some plastic ankle-protectors to make standing up and ignoring easier. I worry though that she'll learn that biting plastic ankles is no fun, but unprotected ankles are fair game.

- On the initial teethe, just let her do her thing. This is likely not great, because any indication of 'too hard' from me will only make it worse.

As is kind of obvious, I'm a bit low on ideas... She's great otherwise! Is very consistent with recall, give, leave, stay, and most other rudimentary obedience. This part is just a bit frustrating.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
II do not allow my pups to mouth/play with my flesh at all. It all real exercise/play with running g or long tug toys.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts