German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at 6pm we are going to meet Nico a 4 year old sable GSD:wub: :D he is a rescue we are hoping to adopt, as long as he and Wolfy get along...any tips/pointers on adding a pack member? Nico is a male, 4 years old, neutered, and stomach tacked. My dog Wolfy is 2, not neutered, but friendly with other dogs.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Good luck. It might help if you have them meet in neutral territory and get acquainted before you bring him home.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nico and my dog didn't get along too well :( they were fine but a few times they would sniff eachother and Nico would escalate it quickly. then at the end we were told he wasn't good with cats-he would charge aggressively at them, and I have 3 cats

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
bummer!!!! I'm sorry! There's a dog out there looking for a pack to join just like yours!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Nico and my dog didn't get along too well :( they were fine but a few times they would sniff eachother and Nico would escalate it quickly. then at the end we were told he wasn't good with cats-he would charge aggressively at them, and I have 3 cats
I had to bring my female GSD to meet my male when I was adopting him. He was very playful and pouncing on her and she growled a couple times. She was overwhelmed by him. He also wasn't around cats ever either. All 4 of my dogs get along well, but the two GSD's are together all the time. It didn't take long for him to worm his way into her heart. He would bark and lunge at the cats, I thought he was going to kill them. It took about a month to a month and a half for him to learn what was acceptable with the cats. Now he can walk past them and keep going, drink water with them, and even walk away if they swat him...I am very impressed he was able to do this. He doesn't even bark at them anymore. I know I took a chance with mine, but sometimes that is what you gotta do. I hope that you find a good fit for your family:)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. i really was disappointed...i posted him in the section on here for adoptions. he's a really handsome, sweet, playful dog. he will definitely make a family VERY happy one day. you can tell he was stressed, spent ALOT of time in the cage, didn't get enough attention or exercise, and he's very high energy. one person did adopt him but brought him back because he was "too rough" on the cats. and at the shelter they tried to test him with cats but said he charged at them aggressively not at all in a playful matter and they were afraid "what would happen if he ever got ahold of one." my cats are old, i didn't think it was fair to try that out on them :-\

1 - 10 of 10 Posts