German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone else has heard this... but I was told by my BIL that adding boiled rice to my dog's food would stop his pee buring my lawn. I was very scheptical... but IT WORKS!

I started feeding Q the rice about 3 weeks ago and now he is not burning anything! I immediately started my pup on this regime too, and even though it is taking her a little while to get used to the rice, she seems to eat it now - well some anyway! It is early days yet, but I am hoping we can re-sow our yard soon and be able to maintain it!

Anyone else know of this?

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
It is worth a shot. There are some dog foods that claim you can stop the grass killing with their low amount nitrogen products. For me, it has not worked.

There are also lawn spreads that might help protect the grass. This was a prior post on one of the boards, but adding boiled rice is worth a shot.

Relative to your dog's overall food per day how much rice do you add.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I add about a cup to Q's two meals so he gets 2 cups kibble 1 cup rice. The pup gets about a tablespoon or so.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I can't argue with success...as long as the rice isn't taking the place of kibble (because rice isn't a complete food like kibble is), and he's buring off these extra calories that the rice is adding to every meal (a cup of rice is 200 additional calories). If these are just new calories, he could gain a couple of pounds a month on just the added rice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to give him kibble (2 cups) and canned food (1 cup), which he did not particularly like. He now gets the kibble and rice. Surprisingly he is still thin, which is great, but I keep an eye on him as with age metabolism slows... he is only 2 though!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
So 1/3rd of the diet is rice?
Coudn't that throw the nutrional balance off?

(Just asking
)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are probably right. Maybe someone else can suggest a better amount? Maybe I will cut it in half and add more kibble and see if that still works.

Please feel free to make suggestions! All I know is that it does work... getting the dose right is another matter!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rafi's pee was killing the grass and then I started him on Springtime Longevity for his hips and general health. Now the grass is growing like gangbusters wherever he pees! Not sure what it is in there that's changed the ph in his urine but wow, what a difference! Maybe you could write to them and ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts