German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shorty is 10 months old and we all love her, i would like to add another member to our pack. well it will be possibly a MALE but i cant decide if i should get a golden retriever or another GSD . do GR and GSD get along very well ?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You just got this puppy, why are you going to add another so soon? I'd wait at least another year or two before adding another pup. Train and bond with this one.

What's your reasoning for wanting to add another puppy/dog so soon?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
shorty is 10 months old and we all love her, i would like to add another member to our pack. well it will be possibly a MALE but i cant decide if i should get a golden retriever or another GSD . do GR and GSD get along very well ?
If I were you (and I have had dogs for over 15 years, and up to 3 at a time) I would NOT get another dog right now. Instead I would enjoy and love up the one you have. Socialize and train the one you have (which is still a 'baby' and needs the one on one time). Really take the time and money to train up and have your current pup be 'all the it can be' BEFORE adding another one to your home.

Since I know you don't want to get another dog for your current dog, (that makes no sense) but for yourself. It's much easier on us to raise/socialize/train one dog at a time to be 'practically perfect' BEFORE adding another. So you KNOW your current dog can go anywhere with you and be fine (family reunions, hotels/motels, Downtown USA, with crowds, good with male dogs/good with female dogs/good with puppies) in any situation.

Then when you do add another pup/dog you can really focus to do the same with the NEW puppy knowing you've done all you could with your older and content dog.

There are tons of issues that come up when we have 2 dogs the same age, here are some of them:

Stan Rawlinson explains the problems of rearing Two Pups from same litter

Raising 2 pups at one time in a Family Setting

http://www.uvhs.org/behavioral_docs/double_trouble.pdf

And you have to remember, our pups ARE pups for about 2 years (or more?)

The other huge thing no one thinks of when they are looking at their wonderful young dogs/puppies is 12 to 15 years from now. I've had only one senior dog with issues and let me tell you, it can be overwhelming. The cost of medical problems and vet visits. The mobility and carrying a large dog around the house to help them stand and take stairs/get in a car. The incontenience issues and clean up. Plus our having to deal with the loss of one dog let alone TWO closely together...:(

I personally do well with a 5 year split between my dogs. Always worked well for me!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I would wait until your current puppy is 2 years old or even older than that.

I want another puppy very badly, but I have to wait until my money situation is exactly where I want it to be and even if it was I still would wait until my 15 month old GSD was 2 1/2 or 3 years old.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
but i cant decide if i should get a golden retriever or another GSD . do GR and GSD get along very well ?
If you get a Golden Retriever, do your homework on the parents. In the last 5 years I've seem more aggressive Goldens than I would ever have thought. And I'm not the only one who's has noticed this.

As for Goldens and GSDs getting along, I see nobody has addressed this. I don't know the answer. I hope somebody else can help you.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Good luck with whatever you decide. I raised two pups (5 months apart) with no issues and they are over 2 years old now. I think when it comes to dogs getting along, it has more to do with the temperment of the dogs rather than the breed.

·
Super Moderator
32,019 Posts
Is she spayed yet? I agree with getting a male rather than another female, but you should have her spayed first, if she's not already.

It's much easier on us to raise/socialize/train one dog at a time to be 'practically perfect' BEFORE adding another. So you KNOW your current dog can go anywhere with you and be fine (family reunions, hotels/motels, Downtown USA, with crowds, good with male dogs/good with female dogs/good with puppies) in any situation.

Then when you do add another pup/dog you can really focus to do the same with the NEW puppy knowing you've done all you could with your older and content dog.
I totally agree with this. Two dogs is a completely different dynamic than one, and not everyone has the time and energy to be actively training two dogs at the same time, especially if one is a puppy. (Not sure if you're planning on getting a puppy or an older dog?) Dena was only 13 months old when we got Keefer, but she was already practically perfect. She'd been through several obedience classes by then, and was calm and well behaved and didn't need to be constantly supervised by the time she was 6 months old. I could set aside her training for awhile and focus on raising Keefer. The bigger concern for me was the possibility of having two seniors and losing them both within a short time frame. Unfortunately, she died of Lymphoma at 4 years old. :(

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
If you get a Golden Retriever, do your homework on the parents. In the last 5 years I've seem more aggressive Goldens than I would ever have thought. And I'm not the only one who's has noticed this.
I totally agree! My Golden is nine years old. Along with unusual health issues he is people aggressive. I've had him since he was 10 weeks old , and truly did all of the socialization with him. Nobody believes a Golden can be aggressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts