German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

I have a ten month old GSD pup, Garmin (yes, like the GPS). He's a typically well-behaved pup, knows all the basic commands. He likes chasing my two little brothers around, though, and chases any animal he comes across, squirrels, etc.

Our relatives are moving across the continent and they can't take their cat with them, so in about a month will rehome the cat with us. I love cats and dogs so I think this is awesome, but then Garmin didn't really get along with two cats that were at our house before.

Or more like the cats didn't get along with him.

Garmin was just sniffing them when the cat tried clawing him. Then the cats chased HIM around the house/his territory.
Note: He was about ten weeks when this happened, though.

But the cat that is going to be rehomed is an extremely docile cat. When we were at her house, she didn't even come out and hid in the bedroom the whole time. Her owner brought her out for us to see, then she bolted right back to the room. Also, she's small for an adult cat.

I've read a lot of articles about how to make a cat and dog get along, but I'm looking for more specific help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not sure if you are asking how to help your GSD or the new cat? If the cat is hiding where it currently lives when it comes to your house good chance you may never see it. Also how does your dog react to cats he see's now? It may never be an issue since he was taught a lesson very young that cats are nothing to mess with but either way he is young enough to adapt. Lou on here has a great article on crittering to help with cat chasing GSD's (or any other breed)

Game Chasing (Crittering)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts