German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roomie is adopting an adorable male GSD by the name of Ace from a friend of mine. Ace is 3. Picture of Ace is attached. My Question is...
How should we handle the introduction of My Male, Max (Intact) and female, Ruby (Spayed) and her Male (Neutered) Ace? Ive heard to have the new dog in the crate for my dogs to check out, and if there is growling or whatever i am to correct. And vice versa. Also something about a good long walk together as well on a new trail that isnt max and ruby's normal walk.

ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED! She picks him up this weekend...

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
first of all, do introductions on neutral territory so none of the dogs can claim the turf. Also, do not and i repeat DO NOT have both YOUR dogs meeting her dog at the same time. introduce them seperately so there is no ganging up. Allow the dogs to form their own opinions solely as theirs and not feeding off each other. Take a walk with the dogs together to start building that bond. I'm assuming from the tone of your post, the dogs have not met before. Your dogs were there first, therefore they have seniority. But i wouldnt advise treating the old dogs any different from the new dog. Treat equally when together and make pack leader VERY clear. naturally correct any scuffles though i dont think there will be a problem as i'd generally be concerned if another female was coming in. males IME, tend to be more laid back with another male in the house whereas females IME tend to be more grouchy with each other (they hold grudges). Allow the new dog to sniff around the house without the other two up his rear end but keep an eye on him just in case he thinks marking is okay. hope that helps some.

Also, how old are your dogs compared to Ace? In the picture Ace looks like a pup who is no more than a year old though i could be wrong

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first of all, do introductions on neutral territory so none of the dogs can claim the turf. Also, do not and i repeat DO NOT have both YOUR dogs meeting her dog at the same time. introduce them seperately so there is no ganging up. Allow the dogs to form their own opinions solely as theirs and not feeding off each other. Take a walk with the dogs together to start building that bond. I'm assuming from the tone of your post, the dogs have not met before. Your dogs were there first, therefore they have seniority. But i wouldnt advise treating the old dogs any different from the new dog. Treat equally when together and make pack leader VERY clear. naturally correct any scuffles though i dont think there will be a problem as i'd generally be concerned if another female was coming in. males IME, tend to be more laid back with another male in the house whereas females IME tend to be more grouchy with each other (they hold grudges). Allow the new dog to sniff around the house without the other two up his rear end but keep an eye on him just in case he thinks marking is okay. hope that helps some.

Also, how old are your dogs compared to Ace? In the picture Ace looks like a pup who is no more than a year old though i could be wrong
My female is 16 months old. my male is 8 months old. That picture is of Ace when he was around a year... year and a half, if i remember correctly. He is 3 yrs old now...

·
5,627 Posts
Definitely agree with neutral territory. The long walk is a good way to introduce dogs (doesn't have to be a walk that is new, can be around the neighborhood) especially if you have someone to help you so all three can walk together.

The reason the walk works is because they are doing something fun together and getting tired at the same time. Also, when it is time to go in the house, the new dog goes in first so the two residents dogs don't get territorial when he walks in. I would let all 3 drag leashes for a few days so you can break things up if necessary.

No toys or high value chewys with the loose dogs until they have gotten to know each other better.

·
2,967 Posts
I know this article can seem a little extreme...but I have always found that this is the safest and most effective way to introduce a new dog to existing dogs. Start with crates, move to walks, introduce each dog separately, move to off lead obedience, and then finally a more free off lead play.

The number one mistake I see people make it to RUSH the interaction between the dogs. Even when everyone looks to be getting along...I will wait at LEAST a week before letting any of the dogs play together off lead. I have never had an adult dog give a puppy any trouble or vice versa.

Leerburg | Introducing a Dog into a Home with other Dogs

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

I also agree it's vital to meet in a neutral area. I'd take all the dogs to a local open park type area and plan to go for a long long long long long long long long walk to see how it all works out.

Keep the initial greeting very short (the fact to face or milling around time). Instead I've found the quicker everyone starts to MOVE in the same direction (takes all the pressure off the face to face/I can't escape cause of the leash thing...) the quicker the calm fits in and the more normal all the dogs AND humans start behaving.

In the house, I'd make sure I had crates available, and use them (or close off dogs in a room from each other) when you weren't home or able to monitor.

The most important thing is to 1) know your dogs. Cause if you've trained and socialized them it's only the NEW dog that has to be managed, your's will be the known element. 2) EXERCISE all the dogs way more than normal for the first few weeks. A good dog is a tired dog and less likely to snap or have play in the house go into CRAZYLAND. 3) Be attentive and pay more attention to the dogs and their dynamics for the first few weeks then normal. Don't take anything for granted, really watch them and how they interact with each other. Step in EARLY before anything happens.

Be the leader so all the dogs look at and follow your lead rather than just reacting and maybe causing a problem.

The other thing is a deal needs to be made about your CURRENT dogs. They didn't ask for a new dog to be added. So if it all goes in the crapper with chaos, then it's the NEW dog that needs to go. Last dog in is first dog out if there is any issue that arises.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I most definitely agree with ALL of this advice.
I think that we will be just fine, Max and Ruby are great with other dogs, and while I know that they have never had another dog living in the house except for them, I dont think that we will have a problem. Things will just have to be extremely strick for a while, but thats nothing that Nikk and I can't handle, right Nikk?

I think as long as we play by the rules the pups will be great!

I think we have decided on taking Max with us when we go to meet Ace, because he is the "protector" to see how he will react.

I most definitely see lots of work, fun and excitement heading our way!

Thank you all so much for the advice!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is she fostering or adopting?
It started as me just thinking about fostering this lovely male... And then i told my roommate Kylie and showed her the picture... and it was over from there lol

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this article can seem a little extreme...but I have always found that this is the safest and most effective way to introduce a new dog to existing dogs. Start with crates, move to walks, introduce each dog separately, move to off lead obedience, and then finally a more free off lead play.

The number one mistake I see people make it to RUSH the interaction between the dogs. Even when everyone looks to be getting along...I will wait at LEAST a week before letting any of the dogs play together off lead. I have never had an adult dog give a puppy any trouble or vice versa.

Leerburg | Introducing a Dog into a Home with other Dogs
Thats actully what i was reading off of before i posted this thread... But it does seem extreme, so i waanted to get everyone's opinion on here. Id rather be too safe, than not safe enough...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I also agree it's vital to meet in a neutral area. I'd take all the dogs to a local open park type area and plan to go for a long long long long long long long long walk to see how it all works out.

Keep the initial greeting very short (the fact to face or milling around time). Instead I've found the quicker everyone starts to MOVE in the same direction (takes all the pressure off the face to face/I can't escape cause of the leash thing...) the quicker the calm fits in and the more normal all the dogs AND humans start behaving.

In the house, I'd make sure I had crates available, and use them (or close off dogs in a room from each other) when you weren't home or able to monitor.

The most important thing is to 1) know your dogs. Cause if you've trained and socialized them it's only the NEW dog that has to be managed, your's will be the known element. 2) EXERCISE all the dogs way more than normal for the first few weeks. A good dog is a tired dog and less likely to snap or have play in the house go into CRAZYLAND. 3) Be attentive and pay more attention to the dogs and their dynamics for the first few weeks then normal. Don't take anything for granted, really watch them and how they interact with each other. Step in EARLY before anything happens.
Thanks so much for all of this. I do plan on maybe hiking with the dogs together... we will all be exhausted haha My dogs are trained and socialized.
WHAT IM NERVOUS ABOUT THOUGH IS: Whenever i get max and ruby together with another dog... Max tends to play the protector role of Ruby. Barking at the other dog, jump on to their hackles. He doesnt seem to be trying to hurt them at all, just like a sort of... warning? Like woah... you watch your step around my girl, ruby lol idk... Jakeandrenee... She has seen this and said it was described as he is trying to calm the siatuation?? Because he also did this once when ruby wasnt around and another smaller dog was added. (smaller than her jake that is)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Yes, Max was "splitting" trying to use calming behaviors. It makes him incredibly anxious and stressed. It was classic textbook "splitting behavior" and my worry is that heis this way already and he is just a baby.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Max was "splitting" trying to use calming behaviors. It makes him incredibly anxious and stressed. It was classic textbook "splitting behavior" and my worry is that heis this way already and he is just a baby.
i need to read up on that!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
From the comments above I'd say you may have some issues brining an older male into the house, depending on how that dog is with other dogs. I would have a game plan in place to handle potential problems.

Are your dogs currently on NILIF? I would be sure everyone in the house is on NILIF and keep them on it. Be prepared to have the dogs out separately, if necessary. Be sure that Max knows has a place or similar command so that if you need him to back of he does so. How much training do your dogs have? Do they look to you to or do they tend to make decisions on their own? It sounds like Max needs a strong and consistent leader to help him interact better with other dogs.

Rafi can be pushy with some males, especially bigger males. When I first adopted him he was especially pushy in the house or in our yard with other male dogs (he was an adolescent when I adopted him). I stepped in every single time, called him off and let him know a more appropriate behavior. He is much better now but I still have to watch him in new situations, especially in a small space. He knows, however, what I expect of him so all I have to do is remind him. I would start working with Max right now on this issue.

·
2,967 Posts
That is also why I am very careful to start the new dog off on an individual relationship with the current dogs. Before I would EVER put all 3 together, I would be sure that everyone plays nice in a twosome to start with. Week one new dog learns the routine on his own, without interacting with the other dogs. They might smell each other through the crate, but that's about it. I would also keep that to a minimum when bringing in another adult male. They can certainly start posturing and being protective of their crate. When I finally get around to introducing dogs, it's one at a time (and not all in a day). I start with the dog I know is the most tolerant and well..the most likely to ignore the new dog. I will work their relationship for a few days. Then I will switch the next dog and work their relationship for a few days. Then if everything has been absolutely wonderful with no problems...then I might let them out together. But even this is carefully strategized. I will take the puppy and the one that worries me more out together and let them blow off a lot of energy running around. And then I will bring in the 3rd dog. This way when they first get to interact as a group, they are already tired and less on edge. Same idea really as the long walk with the play at the end.

And remember, even now with 5 dogs, I have some groupings that do not work well together....So I rotate. Not that it's ideal, but it's certainly doable.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I apologize for all of the typos in my post. I didn't have my glasses on and now that I can see what I typed I realize it looks like I'm illiterate. Mea culpa! :blush:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is also why I am very careful to start the new dog off on an individual relationship with the current dogs. Before I would EVER put all 3 together, I would be sure that everyone plays nice in a twosome to start with. Week one new dog learns the routine on his own, without interacting with the other dogs. They might smell each other through the crate, but that's about it. I would also keep that to a minimum when bringing in another adult male. They can certainly start posturing and being protective of their crate. When I finally get around to introducing dogs, it's one at a time (and not all in a day). I start with the dog I know is the most tolerant and well..the most likely to ignore the new dog. I will work their relationship for a few days. Then I will switch the next dog and work their relationship for a few days. Then if everything has been absolutely wonderful with no problems...then I might let them out together. But even this is carefully strategized. I will take the puppy and the one that worries me more out together and let them blow off a lot of energy running around. And then I will bring in the 3rd dog. This way when they first get to interact as a group, they are already tired and less on edge. Same idea really as the long walk with the play at the end.

And remember, even now with 5 dogs, I have some groupings that do not work well together....So I rotate. Not that it's ideal, but it's certainly doable.
Nice! You see, My male, Max is the best with dogs... meeting and everything... Just not so much when its max AND ruby. Ruby has the ability to be skiddish towards dogs sometimes. So i might introduce max first. Like kalaway said, i am gonna bring max with me tomorrow when she goes to see Ace.
I see what your saying about the twosome for a week or so. :] Thanks so much!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How would you handle it, renee. If it was jake "splitting", instead of max?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I apologize for all of the typos in my post. I didn't have my glasses on and now that I can see what I typed I realize it looks like I'm illiterate. Mea culpa! :blush:
No apologies needed! haha I understood, and thats all that matters! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts