German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think the combo is a winner, please excuse my laziness for not looking this up myself but not sure about frequency and amount per weight of dog. should i reduce fish oil now i added coconut oil??

info appreciatted.

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
Fish oil and coconut oil have completely different properties so no, don't reduce the fish oil.

Why psyllium husk? He needs more fiber?? It has no nutritional value.

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
The usual dose for coconut oil is 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight, but you work up to that gradually. Keefer is 80 pounds, so that's 8 teaspoons or a little less than 3 tablespoons. Halo is around 60 pounds, so that's 6 teaspoons, which is exactly 2 tablespoons. But I actually don't measure it, I just scrape some out with a fork and eyeball the amounts.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Why psyllium?

Loose poops? Should be temp solution

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my dogs only eat a variety of meats, yoghurt, eggs...no vegetable matter - i am to inconsistent to cook vegetables regularly, they get occasional chopped spinach.

i figure all that adds up to near zero fibre, fibre source = psylum??

they have to have fibre right?

fibre in true RAW would be animal fur?

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
go with pumpkin if you want to add fiber. That has nutritional value.

My dogs get no fiber source and I've been feeding raw for several years now.

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
lol...I don't think animals really eat the hair. They might inadvertently get some but not on purpose.

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
Coconut oil should be organic virgin. Both Costco and Trader Joes have good prices on coconut oil.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Coconut oil should be organic virgin. Both Costco and Trader Joes have good prices on coconut oil.
as well, "raw, cold pressed (not heat extracted or pasturized) and hexane free" (hexane is a chemical used in extraction), not sure if cold pressed automatically means hexane free - never could find that tid-bit.

Nutiva meets all criteria

·
Registered
3,155 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
We use Nutiva Coconut Oil. Here in Canada I get it at Bulk Barn ... about $17.

Coconut Oil is amazing stuff! Many benefits for us dog owners as well :)

We give 2 tbsp a day and add it to Jake's dinner meal. Along with wild alaskan salmon oil daily as well.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Would coconut oil help with itchy pup? no dandruff or redness no idea why he is itchy! =) Vet saw him and said they just do it but not to worry until he does it so bad and ripping fur/redness. I was thinking of adding a little bit of oil in case it is allergies i hear it helps.

I listened to the video, so i can give him teaspoon a day? (i know its per 10lb, but i dont want to cause loose poops we finally controlling it).

we also have salmon oil, but have not given him any because it is already listed in Fromm ingredients

any feedback would be great =)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Neko, just start small amounts and build it up. It's worth a try, it won't hurt.

My pup has a sensitive tummy and had no issues with coconut oil. Make sure you get organic, cold pressed.

Could your pup have a food allergy? Has it always been like this, or just recently?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Neko, just start small amounts and build it up. It's worth a try, it won't hurt.

My pup has a sensitive tummy and had no issues with coconut oil. Make sure you get organic, cold pressed.

Could your pup have a food allergy? Has it always been like this, or just recently?
Seems like it started as his coat started changing from puppy fur to Adult. We are in Florida so i am sure he has seasonal allergies just like the rest of us! We also go to the park everyday and I bet he gets mosquito and noseeum bites.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
That could do it, the bites. Not fleas or anything?

Anyway, I'd give the CO a try. I am really glad I started using it, my pup's coat is really shiny! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts