German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went out with my six month old pup for a long walk, about an hour in total (50/50 grass-pavement). In the middle I planned to take a break, give him some water and let him rest. Then do some basic training and let him run with a long training line.

All of the sudden, which isn't strange here, the clouds decided to take a break and our estranged friend, the sun, came around making it quite warm (I would say easily around 24C/75F), especially for him after all the exercise. That's also when I encountered someone whom I hadn't seen for a while, with her dog, and talked for that person for about 10 minutes, my pup continuously wanting to play (I let him for a few minutes). When she left, I still had to walk about 20 minutes to get home, with no easy shade around. He was already panting very heavily and walking slowly. It took an additional 45 minutes before we arrived home (with still a lot of bird chasing in the middle). At home he collapsed, I cleaned his paws and put him on a wet towel for about 30 minutes. His panting became a bit slower, but still continued for another 20/30 minutes.

How can I prepare myself in the future for these situations? He doesn't like the water, yet, I suppose, so unless I "throw" in the lake that won't be an option. I brought a liter of water with me, which I always do on long walks, especially if it's warm. But I have no idea what else to bring in case of "emergency". I don't own a car, so can't to that also.

I might just be overreacting of course, which is nothing new. This is my first dog, so I have zero experience (outside of all the precautions I found on the internet, and the signs to look out for if your dog gets too hot).

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Yeah shepherds can pant that is for sure. If you take little breaks in the shade and try to walk in the shade if possible helps. In the neighborhood I try switch sides of the street where we will get shade. Always helps to bring water on long walks and we like to catch any sprinklers who are at the edge of the lawn and make sure we get sprinkled. They also have cooling jackets I never used them but are suppose to work well if going on a long hike. Really hot days early morning or evening walks. They have those bottles that mist out water cools everyone off and of course a cell phone which if gets dark many have a light or flash light. The other day we took a little longer bike ride then planned so I just made sure we paced ourselves and took some breaks in the shade to cool off and some water- not to much. Made sure the house was nice and cool when we came home and took him about 20 minutes to cool down and then ready for more- me I was done for the day lol!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
You can create as much trouble by overcooling rapidly than by naturally letting him cool down. Here 75 would not be considered warm but I carry ice cool packs to put on inner thighs if my dog gets really really hot working. Usually just a rest in the shade is enough and panting for 30 minutes is not that bad if he is cooling all the way.

We have some threads on working dogs in the heat in the SAR section of the forum that may be helpful. Pups are not as good as adults at moderating their body temps through.

I always carry instant ice packs like these and a towel to put next to the skin on the inner thighs. They are not overwhelmingly cold NEVER cool down the neck. Get pup used to a thermometer - you really don't want to overcool him.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
In the summer I like to take my dogs out early before the sun is high in the sky or later as the sun starts to set. I wouldn't even consider walking them in the middle of the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts