German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male german shepherd that's a little over a year old. Yesterday my roommate brought his older australian shepherd into the house and my dog doesn't know how to act. His dog is calm and older so when he's not here he leaves him out to roam the house. If my dog catches wind of this while I am home he freaks out and starts barking and whining in the kennel like he is being beaten. He has always been very loud and vocal and there are still times when he whines in the kennel for no reason but if he's crated and knows the other dog is out he goes ballistic. He also gets loud if I put him outside on his 30 ft lead to use the bathroom and he sees another dog running free but can't get to it. He's never bitten another dog aside from playing and doesn't have a mean temperament at all but if he sees something he can't get to he loses his mind and goes into a vicious sounding bark. All he ever wants to do is get right up in its face and investigate but naturally nobody wants to bring their dog around the dog barking like it's going to attack. The only time I can control this is if I have him on a leash with a prong collar or sometimes an e-collar if I'm in a remote area. What can I do to get him to stop barking at other dogs and other animals so much? My landlord's only condition for us having dogs was that they can't bother the neighbors and I'm afraid they're going to complain to him one day about my dog barking like he's in a dogfight. I was supposed to start an obedience program last week but they postponed it for another month because of low enrollment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a male german shepherd that's a little over a year old. Yesterday my roommate brought his older australian shepherd into the house and my dog doesn't know how to act. His dog is calm and older so when he's not here he leaves him out to roam the house. If my dog catches wind of this while I am home he freaks out and starts barking and whining in the kennel like he is being beaten. He has always been very loud and vocal and there are still times when he whines in the kennel for no reason but if he's crated and knows the other dog is out he goes ballistic. He also gets loud if I put him outside on his 30 ft lead to use the bathroom and he sees another dog running free but can't get to it. He's never bitten another dog aside from playing and doesn't have a mean temperament at all but if he sees something he can't get to he loses his mind and goes into a vicious sounding bark. All he ever wants to do is get right up in its face and investigate but naturally nobody wants to bring their dog around the dog barking like it's going to attack. The only time I can control this is if I have him on a leash with a prong collar or sometimes an e-collar if I'm in a remote area. What can I do to get him to stop barking at other dogs and other animals so much? My landlord's only condition for us having dogs was that they can't bother the neighbors and I'm afraid they're going to complain to him one day about my dog barking like he's in a dogfight. I was supposed to start an obedience program last week but they postponed it for another month because of low enrollment.
Perfect example: he just chewed up a paper towel when I walked out of the room so I walk in, scold him then put him in his kennel while I clean it up. The other dog follows us over there and once I got him in the kennel he starts barking up a storm like I'm beating him to death. He gradually shut up after about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are punishing your dog with an E collar? He has no formal training? It's important that corrections are issued properly, or you are doing more harm than good. You are going to end up with a neurotic mess. Put that thing in the closet, now.

As far as the carrying on in the kennel, I don't blame him one bit. You have another dog prancing around his home and he is locked up. Frustrating to the nines. Same goes for the tethering. You are missing a good amount of training time by not walking your dog for his potty breaks. Why are you kenneling him to clean up a paper towel? I don't understand that. Just clean it up and move on with your day. The kennel should not be used for punishment.

How much exercise is he getting daily? You have a pup and he has energy to get rid of. It's up to you to make sure all his needs are met.

I don't mean to offend, but a puppy is a boatload of work and you have to put the effort in if you expect to have a dog you can live with.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi Tanner. I’m thinking that you and your dog might benefit from a basic obedience class with a trainer that has experience working with GSDs.
He or she would evaluate your dog beforehand and you could explain these anti social behaviors that your dog is showing.

A good trainer could also show you how and when to properly correct your dog when he’s wearing a prong while you're holding the leash.
There’s a proper way to make corrections and it’s very affective. Your dog will get the message and make the adjustment.
A good trainer can teach you and you will be happy with the results.

Your dog’s behavior is not going to get better until you learn the root of the problem and learn how to make it right. It takes a lot of time and a lot of effort on your part to change these behaviors.

He’s freaking out for a reason. Maybe he’s not getting enough excersise. Maybe he spends too much time cooped up.

With all due respect, You have a very young and energetic GSD. His behaviors aren’t going to change unless you find some professional help.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
IMHO this is not a correction scenario, unless the correction is delivered to be OP! In your 1 yr old dog's territory, while keeping him in a crate, you are expecting him to be okay with a dog he's rarely exposed to running fee in his domain - And you're wondering why your dog doesn't like that and makes noise?!!! Seriously, what are you thinking your dog should do?

Use better judgment when introducing a new dog into your dog's domain...

And yes, put away the prong and the e-collar, and maybe train the dog first???? No amount of training will overcome this approach, and even if the prong and e-collar makes him behave as you want it's not trustworthy, it'll come back to bite you in the end....because it's compulsion, not training. Please think about alternatives!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I apologize, I was in a hurry and didn't explain enough. I don't use the e-collar to punish him for doing something bad, only to get him to come to me if we are outside on open property. I keep it on a low setting and rarely even have to switch from vibration to voltage. I worked with him a lot with this and I think he understands that when he feels the collar he knows to come to me. I take him with me on my runs daily as long as the weather allows me to get out. They usually range from 2-4 miles. I usually don't have to use the prong collar when going for walks unless he has an obscene amount of energy built up and I'm planning on going through a very populated area like campus midday.

I only crated him because he shredded literally a whole roll of wet paper towels and was eating it and spreading it throughout the house. I don't think he spends too much time caged up and if I know he won't be out much on a certain day, I try to make sure I tire him out pretty good beforehand.

As I said, I've been trying to get into a trainer but once the class opened up, they had to postpone it another month due to not enough enrollment. I plan on booking a private session prior to it starting so the trainer can address the issues and get a good insight.

It wouldn't even be as bad if he didn't bother the other dog so much. Once he's out he just wants to play but you can tell that the other dog doesn't really want to be disturbed. He's pretty lazy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A private lesson is not going to help you with this dog's issues, if you don't have even the most basic of obedience training done. There is a plethora of information on training on this site. There are videos all over the web that can help you teach your dog basic house manners. Off leash is not an option until you have the dog under control.

Don't wait for the class to teach your dog. (that's not what they are there for, they train you to train your dog) Don't use a prong or E collar until someone shows you how to properly use them. If your dog respects you, you will have no problem getting him to sit/stay while you break out the broom and sweep up the mess he made.

If the other dog is 'lazy', he is the one that should be separated, with a kiddie gate. Does your dog know not to bowl one of those over? Training 101, boundaries. When you crate him, have a reserve of stuffed Kongs in the freezer and give him one. Only use them when you crate him, then the crate becomes something pleasant and not the county jail, no one likes the county jail. (stuff them with NATURAL peanut butter, kibble, shredded carrots, oatmeal, whatever you have researched to be safe for dogs)

Simon, who came to me at 1 year, was what I will call a bronco. He spent the first year of his life in a 10 x 10 and was completely out of control. He saw 2 trainers and a behaviorist and was not permitted into any area classes due to being deemed 'dog aggressive' (not to mention the whole 'I really hate testosterone' deal) I had him living peacefully with 2 other dogs, 3 cats and a pig, within a month or so. I have been training him myself, without the use of any harsh punishments, only praise, and he eats it up. I seriously think, if he could, he would turn a cartwheel for me (unless there is a man around), because I earned his respect. If I can do this, at my ripe old age, you can start teaching your dog basic house manners. Be kind, be fair and you will make headway. A strong 'leave it' command is essential, start there. Don't issue a command (like Tim has said over and over) unless you can enforce it. If you are losing your temper with the dog, breathe and step into his shoes/paws. Keep it simple, they don't think like us.

*I would like to note, that Simon's man aggression is something I don't know how to deal with. I truly think this dog is a complete wackadoo. I know I need professional help with this particular behavior, but private lessons are not an option, there simply is no money for them. A this point, it's simply management and muzzle.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I only crated him because he shredded literally a whole roll of wet paper towels and was eating it and spreading it throughout the house. I don't think he spends too much time caged up and if I know he won't be out much on a certain day, I try to make sure I tire him out pretty good beforehand.

My dog Finn absolutely loves paper towel, napkins and tissue. He likes to both rip it apart or if he finds a piece that’s particularly filthy rotten disgustingly dirty, he’ll eat it.

Soooooo Gross!!!

My approach to this issue is to not leave it available for him to enjoy. Lol

Good luck with your dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts