German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is intended to help others, I don't feed this and haven't fed it. The food is called Actrium or Actrium Holistic.
Most often we get stories about people struggling to feed their dogs, trying to do so on limited or fixed incomes. As I understand it this food is Canadian, and sold only at Walmart Canada.
A look through the ingredients shows it to be not terrible and it's price point, about $24 for 7kg makes it fairly affordable. It has both beef and chicken recipes and also puppy, adult and large breed formulas. As I said it isn't high quality but it isn't terrible either and my only goal is to provide a list of lower cost dog foods that might help others in strapped financial positions, or those with limited shopping options, feed their furry families.
Input from folks here and in other locations would be helpful.

·
Registered
447 Posts
This post is intended to help others, I don't feed this and haven't fed it. The food is called Actrium or Actrium Holistic.
Most often we get stories about people struggling to feed their dogs, trying to do so on limited or fixed incomes. As I understand it this food is Canadian, and sold only at Walmart Canada.
A look through the ingredients shows it to be not terrible and it's price point, about $24 for 7kg makes it fairly affordable. It has both beef and chicken recipes and also puppy, adult and large breed formulas. As I said it isn't high quality but it isn't terrible either and my only goal is to provide a list of lower cost dog foods that might help others in strapped financial positions, or those with limited shopping options, feed their furry families.
Input from folks here and in other locations would be helpful.
According to three NL veterinarians that we have spoken with over the past year or so, Actrium Holistic is indeed much better than average-quality kibble. In fact, all three recommended that we get Sheba onto this food, and we did. It has nothing to do with price, although the price is low. The mill in Elmira, Ontario which produces Actrium is highly acclaimed; they do manufacture several quality lines of pet food products. I suppose some folks will scoff and automatically assume that because it is sold through Walmart Canada that it must be of poor quality, but as I said, some of the best vets in my province speak very highly of Actrium, and that is good enough for us. We also recently switched our little Shih Tzu Chrissy over to Actrium, and she too has been thriving on it.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

1 - 2 of 2 Posts