German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had the first real Thunder storm of the year here. Mako went through them as a pup but today was his first good one a young adult.

And I am trying my best to remain neutral so he learns to be the same. But it is becoming increasingly difficult. I want to laugh so hard.

The low rumbles of Thunder didn't bug him. He played with his stuffy quietly on his bed. Then we got one of those big, window shaking, Heart stopping claps.

He practically jumped out of his skin he jumped up so fast. Ears up. Stuffy dangling from his mouth. Another clap came and he dropped his toy and trotted to the front door, head low, ears pricked forward, tail held up high.

He was sniffing the crack underneath the door. Loudly. Taking in big deep breaths and blowing them out with little huffs. While he was sniffing under the crack we got another big house shaking clap of thunder.

Mako responded to that clap with his own big booming bark!

On the next clap, he abandoned the front door. And went to the living room window instead. Then he tried the bedroom window. And the dining room.

Finally, he went to the back door and started ringing his bell to go out.

I told him "forget about it pup. We both know you don't have to pee. I am not taking you outside so you can find the thunder"

He's back laying on his bed looking rather annoyed with me. Each big clap we get he looks at me like "sure you don't want me to go bite it?"

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
That is hilarious!I was expecting a fear story,never heard of a dog challenging a thunderstorm:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Such a good boy. Always wanting to keep you safe. :)

Haven't had any real thunder with my dog yet. I think he'd respond similarly. He's inquisitive and will bark at scary & unknown things. But he won't actually engage or approach anything. More of a "Mr. Dad-man, there is something I don't trust over here! Please, check it out to let me know what to do!" Still have to wait to see for sure with thunder, though.

My mother's lab, though...he's terrified of thunder. He'll either cling to a person, or run into the bathroom and fit himself between the the wall & behind the toilet. Keep in mind, this is a massive lab, standing at 28 inches atw, somehow fitting in the tiny space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts