German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few days after this incident I posted about http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/176167-odd-scrapes-rear-legs-bleeding.html our poor girl, who's just turned 1 last week, started limping. I thought, oh no, she must have sprained a muscle, or worst case, torn an ACL during all that running. Though, all the running was on a Sunday, and it wasn't until the Wednesday that she started limping, which should have been a sign, now that I look back, that it might not have been an ACL injury, since when they happen, I've heard it's sudden, and the dog is in immediate pain when it happens.

So last week, we visited our vet, but our girl was a bit nippy, and wouldn't let the vet do the drawer test on her knee to check for ACL. So the vet suspected that it might be a sprain or an ACL tear, and to see if it improves in a week or not.

Well, it hadn't, so we went back, and she did manage to do the drawer test on the knee (the classic test to determine if the ACL is torn or not), and felt it was definitely a full, not partial tear, especially since she couldn't barely put any weight on her rear leg.

So we were scheduled for surgery, and the ortho surgeon vet sees her, and right away goes "Hmmm... Doesn't feel like a drawer sign AT ALL." I'm like, "You sure? Not even a little bit?" He said nope.

And he said he thinks it could be something like Panosteitis, especially since the dog seems more in pain from manipulating the hip, not the knee.

So he did a couple of xrays, and sure enough, he said he could see the extra bone density, and even when sedated, couldn't feel any drawer signs on the knee. The good news was this was her first set of xrays, and he said her hips are excellent.

So now we're on Metacam til it goes away (which I've read not great things about, in terms of side effects, so we're keeping our fingers crossed all goes well) and in a day, she already seems better (though it may be unrelated to the Metacam, since its instructions say that it takes a few days to kick in). She's got her appetite back almost, but is still super sleepy all day.

It's funny, looks like this gets misdiagnosed quite often... And the sad part is it's quite common in GSD's especially, so I'm surprised the vet didn't even consider it at first, and I'm still puzzled how he mistook a full tear when there was nothing there at all (I could understand a partial tear being a grey area, but a full, when none's there???)

Another misdiagnosis on Panosteitis: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/175837-misdiagnosed.html

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
same thing with my girl last month... thought it was a partial tear but less than 4 days after she went to the vet, acted like nothing was wrong at all! We had her on some paid meds but she stopped needing them. Well i don't know for sure what it was but i asked a more experienced vet at my clinic (vet who diagnosed was straight outta vet school) and he said it was 1 of 2 things.. either a stretched ligament, very common in large breed pups under a year or pano.. I wanna think pano because their was one more case in which this happened with her other leg. but went away in 2 days. (after we did xrays)
Im glad it is only pano for your pup. I believe it is common until 2 years of age (i could be way wrong) i just know once they get it, odds are it will come back, so keep on the lookout.
good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
135 Posts
So a few days after this incident I posted about http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/176167-odd-scrapes-rear-legs-bleeding.html our poor girl, who's just turned 1 last week, started limping. I thought, oh no, she must have sprained a muscle, or worst case, torn an ACL during all that running. Though, all the running was on a Sunday, and it wasn't until the Wednesday that she started limping, which should have been a sign, now that I look back, that it might not have been an ACL injury, since when they happen, I've heard it's sudden, and the dog is in immediate pain when it happens.

So last week, we visited our vet, but our girl was a bit nippy, and wouldn't let the vet do the drawer test on her knee to check for ACL. So the vet suspected that it might be a sprain or an ACL tear, and to see if it improves in a week or not.

Well, it hadn't, so we went back, and she did manage to do the drawer test on the knee (the classic test to determine if the ACL is torn or not), and felt it was definitely a full, not partial tear, especially since she couldn't barely put any weight on her rear leg.

So we were scheduled for surgery, and the ortho surgeon vet sees her, and right away goes "Hmmm... Doesn't feel like a drawer sign AT ALL." I'm like, "You sure? Not even a little bit?" He said nope.

And he said he thinks it could be something like Panosteitis, especially since the dog seems more in pain from manipulating the hip, not the knee.

So he did a couple of xrays, and sure enough, he said he could see the extra bone density, and even when sedated, couldn't feel any drawer signs on the knee. The good news was this was her first set of xrays, and he said her hips are excellent.

So now we're on Metacam til it goes away (which I've read not great things about, in terms of side effects, so we're keeping our fingers crossed all goes well) and in a day, she already seems better (though it may be unrelated to the Metacam, since its instructions say that it takes a few days to kick in). She's got her appetite back almost, but is still super sleepy all day.

It's funny, looks like this gets misdiagnosed quite often... And the sad part is it's quite common in GSD's especially, so I'm surprised the vet didn't even consider it at first, and I'm still puzzled how he mistook a full tear when there was nothing there at all (I could understand a partial tear being a grey area, but a full, when none's there???)

Another misdiagnosis on Panosteitis: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/175837-misdiagnosed.html
Do you have any pictures of the scrapes on the hind legs? My dog, just turned one, has weird marks or scrapes on the back of the lower part of his hind legs, i guess in between the ankle and the knee. He now for the past few days has been limping on his rear left leg, and is holding it in the air. He had pano for his front legs, one at a time, but I am wondering if it has now migrated to the back? And what are these weird scrapes? I know he goes crazy in his cage, maybe he is cutting himself on the bars? I am very worried he has injured himself pretty good.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I just had a similar experience with one of my non-GSDs. He was limping for several weeks and the pattern kept changing. Sometimes, he was full weight bearing and tearing around like the terrier mix that he is and, at other times, he was either just toe touch weight bearing or going around three legged.

I took him to my vet and my vet was convinced that he had a hip injury or hip dysplasia. We x-rayed and his hips are beautiful from a conformation standpoint (smooth femoral heads, no arthritis, well seated femoral heads and no subluxation or remodeling). Yet, my vet was telling me that we would be doing an FHO in a short number of years. :confused: I told my vet that I thought that the limping was due to a cruciate ligament teat and he disagreed with me. I took the dog home and, within three days, was back at my vet's office because this dog would not use his left hind leg at all. I looked at my vet and said "this feels like a cruciate ligament tear now". He looked at the dog and agreed. A quick drawer test was done and was very positive.

Five days later my dog had his cruciate ligament repaired and we are just about 10 days post-op today.

It never hurts to have your own opinion about your dog since you are the one that lives with the animal. My suspicion is that the cruciate ligament tear was just a partial tear when I had him seen initially and had progressed to a full teat by the time of the second visit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts