German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is George who is 7 years old, and having ACL surgery tomorrow. I know the recovery will be difficult. We have 3 cats and another GSD, and George thinks he is still a puppy!! Additionally during the work week, I live out of state so hubby, who is disabled, has to manage alone with George. I'm just really stressed out about everything right now. Any support or advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My Newlie had surgery for an ACL repair and came back fine, with not even a limp. I have to say though, it's a long road, I know it seemed like forever before his surgeon oked me to take him off a leash so he could play in the back yard. At first, during recovery, they don't feel much like playing, but after they start feeling better, that's a different story. My buddy had to wear a cone for a long time, too, but that seemed to bother me more than it did him. He was forever crashing into me with it and every piece of furniture in the house along the way. Newlie's surgeon did not want him to have PT until the bone was really healed, but once I was given the OK, i started walking him just a little bit around my small front yard. For a week or so, I just did one circuit and then very gradually increased it. Never any long walks, though, just a few circuits around the yard. The first couple of weeks or so, I kept him in a kennel when I was at work to make sure he didn't do anything he wasn't supposed to, then after that, I put him in a room and closed the door to keep him contained. When I was at home, I let him walk a little on the carpeted areas, but no linoleum and no going down the basement stairs.

The most important thing is to follow your vet's instructions and you should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts