German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I currently have an elderly French Bulldog, who keeps mostly to himself on his pillow in the living room. Then I have my gorgeous wonderful fantastic female sable GSD at 17 months old along with my sweet quirky adorable Chinese Crested Dog at 18 months. The shepherd and crestie play well together, and I have been impressed with how the shepherd doesn't care if the crestie comes and takes a bite from her food bowl while she is eating! Also, they play tug together, and it is impressive how my shepherd tones the power way down to play with the little guy - otherwise, he would go flying! After Easter, I will be getting a rescued kitten, just weaned from mama. I wanted a very young one so it could acclimate to the dogs. I will of course provide the kitten with a litter box and food/water in a room gated off from the dogs. Also, there are several places the kitten could jump up to in order to escape the rambunctious dogs if need be. My question: what would be the most beneficial way to acclimate Them? Should I hold the kitten safe on my lap and let the dogs sniff her? And perhaps place her safe in a small crate in the middle of the room? Lastly, what is the best method for teaching the shepherd right off the bat that she will NOT chase the Cat? I do have a short drag leash that might be helpful. Thanks everyone! I will allow the kitten to sleep in bed with us and the crestie. My shepherd sleeps in her crate right next to me. She would sleep in bed with me, too, except there is not room!

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
At it's simplest ... leash on the puppy and no chasing period ... end of story. If the kitten wants to investigate the dog/puppy, no problem. But the puppy/dog ... never chases the kitten! Use a blanket and the confines of that, are as far as the dog/puppy is allowed to go.

Training "Place" would be useful ... the dog/puppy would be corrected for breaking "Place" so why ... does not matter. :)

Details on "Place" are here.:
E Collar - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Well it is a simple plan ... and you don't know that you have an issue?? They may just be fine right out the box???

More than likely ... the kitten will investigate the puppy?? No problem ... but if you let the puppy chase the kitten ... then your playing with fire?? None of my dogs ever chased my cats! The cats would come to the dogs as they see fit, and that works out fine. :)

I've never had a single cat v dog issue in all my years with cats and dogs. And an added benefit to that, is that on a walk, a Cat proofed dog is not subject to bolting after a cat that the dog sees and you do not??

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, Chip, I don't know that I will have an issue, but we nurses like to be prepared ( kind of like the Boy Scouts!). I am hoping to make the introduction as nonchalant as possible - the kitten wrapped in a towel on my lap ( so I don't get clawed), and the shepherd pup on a leash with my husband. Hopefully, we will have sniff sniff bark once sniff again meow once sniff sniff, then no big deal. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I want a cat real bad as well and have to negotiate pretty hard still. My plan would be to get a known dog-savvy adult cat who can stand its ground since Deja is pretty prey driven.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
I want a cat real bad as well and have to negotiate pretty hard still. My plan would be to get a known dog-savvy adult cat who can stand its ground since Deja is pretty prey driven.
Well ... that may work?? But it would not be an approach recommended by any "experts" that I am aware of??

To me that sounds like a trip to the vet for an animal or a trip to the ER for an owner that got in the way! I managed to mess up with Cat safe dogs and a semi feral cat. Dogs were in place but they got excited when I tried to bring a new stray in. I knew the dogs would not move ... the cat did not! Net result a three day, $12,000 visit to the ER. I had the cat by the nap of the neck trying to bring him indoors, cat growled, dogs barked, cat turned into a buzzsaw and I would not let go of the cat. I reached up to cup his butt and the cat sunk his teeth thru my finger nail!! At that point I abandoned plan A, but noisy or not ... my dogs never moved.

That setback aside ... I did keep that stray and the three others, those four and my dogs lived together for many years and never had any issues.

I've only had to keep it real with one dog, sigh ... a "Breed that shall not be mentioned" rescue dog off the street. Almost perfect ... luv'd people, had no dog issues but cats ... game on ... uh oh!!!

Serious freaking prey drive and in my house with seven cats ... that's not gonna happen! So it was SLL as a DDC becasue I had no crate and no time to mess around! 24 hours and she bowed down to the cats (that was not me that was her choice) and the cats said ... cool. But ... that's what I do ... in here are "Leerbrugh and Joe Galaxy ... the "Experts." :)

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/6715746-post2.html

I still think "Place" can work but as I had no time ... I lost an opportunity for "Proof of concept" on that one. Also a "Bonker" if my aim was true or a Pet Convincer?? Oh well tethered and a hard correction or two ... worked out fine! :)

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I probably have to go by the e-collar or...not get a cat. The latter is the most likely, if I want to keep my hubby. It is the first and only pet(-idea) he ever objected to so I can not say much.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Long line and a safe place for the kitten to get to. monitor all interactions. Try putting the kitten in a cat carrier of some sort so your dog can smell the kitten. Our last dog - bella hated our cats. Often we would take a feral kitten that was abandoned by one the feral cats in the woods to care for and rehome - our dog who hated cats - loved the kittens I think because they ignored her bs and she would let them climb all over and swat at her very fluffy tail. It took along time and much patience for my Gsd pups to leave the cats alone.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm....I guess I was thinking that an extremely young kitten, just weaned, would be more adaptable. My shepherd, I am not sure about, since she has never seen a cat!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do like the idea of putting her in a crate and letting the dogs sniff at her while she is safe. I so miss having a Cat! I am retired fortunately, so I can be present at all times the first few days. I volunteer twice a week at a toucan rescue sanctuary here, so I will make sure to pick her up on my five day stretch off. My husband is not the best animal watcher. I will have her food, water, and litterbox in a spare bedroom that I have gated off.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I was just told that the foster family who is fostering the litter of kittens has dogs, and they have been interacting with each other right along! Hooray! That is one potential problem eliminated!

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
At it's simplest ... leash on the puppy and no chasing period ... end of story. If the kitten wants to investigate the dog/puppy, no problem. But the puppy/dog ... never chases the kitten/cat! Use a blanket and the confines of that, are as far as the dog/puppy is allowed to go.

Training "Place" would be useful ... the dog/puppy would be corrected for breaking "Place" so why ... does not matter. :)

Details on "Place" are here.:
E Collar - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Hmmm ... that was the wrong link?? Router was crashing that day and I got things mixed up???

So to unwind a bit ... the E-Collar and "Behaviour Modification" or a "DDC/SLL" would be needed if you already have a dog and have cats ... and you already know that your dog has a "serious Cat issue." If that is the case then, that needs to be stopped now!

If one has puppy or a dog that is ... annoying with cats but not dangerous. Then keep a leash on them and don't allow the puppy/dog to chase the cats ... period. I can't post any cute Dog/Cat clips like Leerburgh ... becasue I don't allow that. My dogs simple don't chase the cats ... period ever ... end of story. If my cats chose to engage with the dogs and they do. That's fine but my dog's are usually in a down or on there beds. And if my dogs are out doors ... and the out door cats see them ... the cats will run to my dogs and greet them and my dogs will stand there hold there ground as it were and dip there heads in greeting. :)

So if you don't have a "Dangerous Cat/Dog" relationship ... you can train "Place" and correct the dog for breaking "Place." In that situation ... the cat's don't matter. Training Place is what I meant to post ... so trying again. :

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

When I found myself with an unexpected rescue of Breed that shall be mentioned situation on my hands ... that luv'd people and dogs but Cats .... uh oh??? Place for that dog ... was simply not an option! So plan B it was ... SLL as a DDc and a Hard Correction! That was not my original plan ... but it worked! The next time would have been named Sally, saw one of my cats ... that cat aptly named "Spooky." Sally volunteered to Bowe Down and Spooky came to her. Keeping it real for "Sally" was not plan ... but it worked out fine. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If the kitten will be somewhat dog savvy, then I would definitely have my dogs leashed and under my control any time the kitten is around. I don't know that I would want the kitten feeling trapped in a carrier personally. You don't ever want them to be able to initiate a chase or hunt. Hopefully, you've been working on a good leave it so you can redirect your dog's interest if it gets too marked. I would be prepared to protect the kit with whatever force is necessary. It will only take one grab.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I haven't had a kitten in a while, but have introduced as young as 9 months old (rescues) to the household. I've followed a recommended routine by the rescue organization, that seemed to work quite well. I set up a safe room, which provides them (the cat) with a quiet, safe place to get used to the scents and sounds of the house. You may not need this step, but it gives the kitten and dogs a chance to smell each other through a closed door. I suppose the same is achieved by putting the kitten in a carrier, but I like the door barrier myself, because it forces everyone to just smell. This step might be a couple of days, no one really interacts except by smell. Then, it's suggested to take the dogs away for a few hours, let the cat get used to the layout of the rest of the house, undisturbed. This gives them a chance to explore out of their room, and get a sense of the place. I have lots of high places available like tall cat posts, where the cats can escape if they need to. Once the cat is familiar with the house, work to have greeting with dog on leash, they should sit and focus on you, if they become fixated on the cat and won't listen to commands, take the dog out of the room and try again later. The dog ideally needs to ignore the cat. Baby steps, don't force it, some dogs just need longer to accept cat buddies. It's good the kitten is familiar with pups, now you just need to teach yours how to behave around the kitten;) just my thoughts, good luck and enjoy the kitten shenanigans, they're almost more fun than puppies...almost:grin2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quite honestly we have never done anything special. Just brought the kitten in and made sure that the dog wasn't to rough and didn't try to bite the kitten. They will work things out.. Just keep a close eye on things. Our 2 are best of friends. They play and sometime tend to get to rough (on both parts). They will even lay next to each other when napping.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now, I am wondering if it would be good to get TWO kittens from the litter - a male in addition to the female. What are your thoughts on this? Does a cat need another cat, or is a singleton fine? Sorry this is a cat question rather than a dog question! ;)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Now, I am wondering if it would be good to get TWO kittens from the litter - a male in addition to the female. What are your thoughts on this? Does a cat need another cat, or is a singleton fine? Sorry this is a cat question rather than a dog question! ;)
Cats are generally solitary animals and don't need anyone else... but two kittens from the same litter will remain friends (generally speaking). They will play lots of chase games with each other which may entice your GSD to join in.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After doing some reading on cat breeder websites, most do recommend getting sibling littermates. Some breeders will only sell kittens in pairs. I do recall years ago when I bought a Bengal kitten, that the breeder insisted that two was a better idea, which it was. Unfortunately, my husband is having a fit with my getting one cat let alone two. But it will work out!

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Well I have had a crap load of cats and I have never heard of littermate syndrome in cats??? Brothers and Sisters and actually living room and bed clans. All were free to intermix as they saw fit. And if you have enough that is always gonna be that cat!

I had one that was just an odd duck out he did not want to associate with any other cat. And at one time separate mom and kitten packs that turned into cats and the brothers and sisters of each group, hung out together and there was no sibling or same gender aggression??? When I the clans they had the clans they kept there distance from each other ... nothing I did or encouraged it's just how it evolved?? They knew each other and would pass each other but did not blend as it were, they were separate packs.

But the one cat FW (Fuzzy Wuzzy) he was/is an odd one he would travel back and forth between the two clans without issue?? Spooky would hiss and run if she saw Molly Clone (who never did anything to her) but with FW no issue he just didn't care about any of the other cats. I goes where I wants was his take. In anycase ... cats are flexible, one is fine but so are two. And freaking Spooky prefers dogs to cats. So you never know ... if you want two get two and I would not worry about it. But your remaining "Frenchie???" He could be a problem and I don't think you've mentioned him???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts