German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today at the dog park, an older/more dominant female GSD (who my dog has been around dozens of times before) started a scuffle with Ruby right under the legs of the other owner and myself. While breaking the scuffle up, Ruby's paw got caught underneath and the end result was a broken toe. 3 1/2 hours, one relocated toe, and $1000 later, she's home rocking the splint and sleeping off the anesthesia.

Even though it was an accident, and I wasn't the one who stepped on her, I feel like crud, so I thought I'd come here and see if anyone else has a story to share about an injury that happened to their pup totally by accident so I don't feel quite as bad about this. I know playing at the park is 'at your own risk', and I accept responsibility for her poor tootsies, but man, I just hate that it happened so fast and I couldn't stop it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
If it makes you feel better, you are not alone. For myself, I confess to 3 - so I know how bad you feel. My aussie, I was trimming the fur around his behind and the scissors slipped - and he got stabbed - the vet said too keep it open with frequent soapy water washings and he healed up without infection. I promptly bought a pair of blunt tipped trimming scissors. My Sting, when he was a pup and his ears were just standing up - he eagerly followed me into the breezeway and I shut the door too fast on one ear - I thought for sure he would be damaged for life - but no - after a couple of anxious weeks - it came back up. Then when on one of his puppy walks in a park - nice grass - nice area - he was running ahead of me and stepped on I don't know what but cut his paw - that healed up fine. The worst accident of all, happened to my Sting's breeder - she had a fox terrier and one day backed up her car and ran it over - fatally.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
My old girl loved to swim. So I was throwing her toy in some water and she impaled her back leg on a reed. Worst part is, I did not notice till a few days later when it started to smell. Go me!!!

Don't feel bad at all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. She's taking it well so far, but I think she's going to milk my sympathy for all she can... She's been doing a sad little moaning noise which I don't think is pain (still got meds), but she knows it will get me to lay on the doggie bed, rub her belly, and give her treats. I have to be strong and NOT go to the pet store today and buy her new toys/treats that she doesn't really need... Well, maybe just one or two...

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Are the paw pads covered? I ask because (a) they actually sweat and (b) if your dog is licking the cast she can get her toes wet and cause nasty problems. Vetwrap does not breathe very well.

I have been through broken toes three times and after my experience with a cast on the first one (nasty skin infection) I went with ( supported by a different vet) restricted activity, crate rest, and no casting. My dog's broken toes have been running through the woods and stepping in a hole..

Injuries. Yah. broken canine on one dog, front upper incisors knocked out on another, tongue cut (serious cut..you would not believe how much a tongue can bleed and you can't put pressure on it), gashes, torn pads, the paw caught in a deck railing that resulted in a back injury, years ago a little terrier hit by car and dragged (he did recover fully but lost a lot of skin on one leg)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts