German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 11 months old and she would not leave me alone. She constantly begs for play. Even after the walks and doggy park she wants more and I do exercise her enough, we play fetch and go to the doggy park very often. Every time I come from work she doesn't greet me like most dogs meet their owners, first thing she does is grab the ball or the stick and start running around me with it asking me to play with her. I had my friend coming over today and she wouldn't stop bugging her with her ball. I don't understand what to do. Is this going to go away on its own? Please tell me dogs become less interested in play as they grow up because it's a bit too much. I'm an expecting mother and I don't know how I'm going to keep up with her with the newborn when she constantly begs for attention. How do I make her be more independent so I don't have to entertain her all the time?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Is she crate trained? If so put her in her crate until she settles. Or teach her to settle using a place command. Put her ball away. It's your ball not hers. It comes out when you want it to. My husband has the same problem with our 5 yr old. He got her into the habit of taking her out to play ball or frisbee right when he came home from work. Now it doesn't matter if he gets home at 2pm or 10pm she is up in his face wanting to go out and play. If he doesn't want to take her out or the weather is bad she is a royal pain and we have to get super stern with her. Although usually he gives in which just makes the problem perpetuate. I won't do it. When I come home she bellies up for a tummy rub greeting and that's it. I play and do walks on my schedule not hers.

Your adolescent girl is trying to train you. Be firm and set the ground rules. Calm greetings only. I just ignored the antics and the dog until there was calm. Then there was a greeting with a good girl and a belly rub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your post makes perfect sense. Thank you!!😊
I always feel so bad when ignoring her so I just give up and start palying with her. This needs to stop before the baby arrives!

·
Registered
671 Posts
My pup (1 year) has that habit too. He would drop his heavy kong ball on to my lap repeatedly when I'm watching tv etc. Or if I was not interested, he'd bring me another toy. But he gets that I don't wanna play, and he will gladly play with his toys by himself. That's because I've taught him that if I don't engage after a couple of tries from him, then leave me alone. I've set boundaries for him and he understands that. If you're not comfortable with your dog doing the same thing, take the ball away. Ignore, ignore, ignore. You're not doing anything bad, you're just setting rules: When I don't wanna play, you don't play with me. The toys are yours and you have your space, they'd have to learn that everything is under your control. For your case, my suggestion would be arranging some 'play time,' at least twice a day 10-20 mins minimum each, where you engage with her in a game of fetch, tug o' war, etc. After the session is over, put the toys away. It'll become a routine and your dog will learn that there are certain times of day where he gets to play, and others where he has to respect your time and space. Very important to set out rules, boundaries and guidelines with GSDs or any other dog earlier, esp with a baby on the way.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Dogs' lives are short. I need to remember that and be a bit more indulgent. I do like it when my almost 9 yo shoves a well-used toy in my lap. I may ignore it or give her something else to do (lie down - that's interesting for the dog sure it is) or I may engage.

·
Super Moderator
32,037 Posts
I love that my puppy Cava seeks out engagement with us. Since she's going to be a sport dog, my new flyball partner, it's important that to me that she wants that interaction because it's going to be necessary when we get to the point of racing in tournaments.

So far, it hasn't been annoying, but with other dogs who end up pestering us I've ignored them until they go away, then call them back and play for a bit. They still got play time, but on my terms, not on demand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts