German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the two food posts :eek: Since this is a different topic I'd figure I'd start a new one to get more responses.

What are your opinions on Acana Pacifica vs. Acana Large Breed Puppy for GSD pups? Pacifica is grain-free and LBP is not; however, they have pretty equal levels of Ca/Ph.
Pacifica Ca/Ph: 1.4/1.1
Dog Food Reviews - Acana Pacifica - Powered by ReviewPost
LBP Ca/Ph: 1.2/1.1
Dog Food Reviews - Acana Puppy Large breed - Powered by ReviewPost

Switching to grain-free definitely appeals to me so I think I am leaning toward Pacifica. But what would be the benefits of the puppy formula versus the adult formula, and vice versa?

I currently feed Canidae All Life Stages and although my pup is doing well on it, the Ca/Ph levels concern me. Plus, he seems pretty itchy so I'm worried the Canidae is the cause of that (I have read on here that quite a few of your dogs have very itchy skin on Canidae!)

Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I fed Jake Pacifica when he was younger to try to stop the itch and dandruff. He did ok on it, but I still think there was something in it that bothered him. I made a switch to TOTW and he seems much better.
I felt fine feeding the Pacifica to Jake.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fed Jake Pacifica when he was younger to try to stop the itch and dandruff. He did ok on it, but I still think there was something in it that bothered him. I made a switch to TOTW and he seems much better.
I felt fine feeding the Pacifica to Jake.
I plan on feeding ToTW when Dallas is older, but I'm not comfortable with it while he is a puppy.

Ideally, I want something grain-free with low ca/ph levels, but I know that is kind of an oxymoron. Which is why I would also like to hear about opinions on grains in food :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, that was definitely interesting! Thank you for posting, really :) However, now I think I may even be more confused, haha. I looked back about 10 pages in this subforum, but I guess I need to learn how to use the search function as well :p Nevertheless, it was definitely an enjoyable read.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I totally understand the "confusion". There are alot of good threads about the grain vs. grain free. Good arguments from both sides.....I will try to dig up a few more.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
and here is one more that remember reading....just try to sift through some of the banter...there are some good arguments.
I am sure your head will be spinning in a day or so! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts