German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the web-sites of various clubs and many state something to the effect "Abusive training methods will not be tolerated".
I am curious as to what exactly constitutes abuse.

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
Call and ask.

Some places look at anything not positive reinforcement as abusive.

Some will object to certain collars and corrections.

Some will not tolerate you hitting or kicking the dog.

The only way to know is to ask them.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Most Schutzhund clubs I know of do not train strictly using "positive reinforcement". Some may. However this doesn't mean they condone people hurting their dogs.

Usually what it means is they will not allow excessive use of training collars (be it a choke, prong or e-collar) or corrections. Most will not allow you to kick or beat the dog.

But true, you should call, email or visit the club and ask. Each club can have a bit different interpretation.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Didn't you know?

Training in itself is abusive. Dogs should be running free through the flowers fields...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vinnie,
What is "excessive"? Typically excessive would mean more than what is required. If the trainer thought that an action was not required would he be doing it? Who decides and what is the criteria for deciding that a correction is "excessive"?
Also, what constitutes "kicking or beating" a dog? Is a toe on the ass to make sit a "kick"? Is a swat on the nose "beating"? Again who decides and what is the criteria?

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
I did not read anything in the OPs post about schutzhund, must have missed that, and I would not have replied.

I have been to trainers who claimed they only used positive reinforcement. (Body slams to get the Great Dane Puppy in a down position are ok though.)

My current trainer allows prongs and chokes, not head collars though. Will not allow killing the dog -- I am usually threatening to.

Other places I have been would not allow prong collars, but did allow head collars.

So, you just really need to call.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Vinnie,
What is "excessive"? Typically excessive would mean more than what is required. If the trainer thought that an action was not required would he be doing it? Who decides and what is the criteria for deciding that a correction is "excessive"?
Also, what constitutes "kicking or beating" a dog? Is a toe on the ass to make sit a "kick"? Is a swat on the nose "beating"? Again who decides and what is the criteria?
It's all decided by the individual club. Each club can and will have a different interpretation (as I said earlier).

I did not read anything in the OPs post about schutzhund, must have missed that, and I would not have replied.
Usually when a question is posted in the 'Schutzhund Training' section - it's about Schutzhund. :)

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
LOL, got me. I've been hanging out in active topics again.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
If Animal Control is watching, and they arrest you, then it is abusive:).

Seriously, when you leave blood on the field, or have to drag your dog TO the field, then maybe the training methods could be considered abusive.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Seriously, when you leave blood on the field.....
What if it is your blood? :D

·
2,967 Posts
IMO, corrections in training become abusive when emotion (anger/frustration) becomes the reason for the correction, and the true objective of the training is lost and the correction no longer has an instructional purpose for the dog.

·
Registered
891 Posts
OK, since I am new to all this, is it considered abusive when my dog is trying VERY hard to get at a worker at my house and I have to keep correcting him with a prong collar until he finally settles down? I would like to know how you would use positive reinforcement in that situation unless when he finally relents, you say "good boy"! No blood was drawn, by the way. And I tried crating him, but he practically took off the top of the crate. He is only 8 mos.

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK, since I am new to all this, is it considered abusive when my dog is trying VERY hard to get at a worker at my house and I have to keep correcting him with a prong collar until he finally settles down? I would like to know how you would use positive reinforcement in that situation unless when he finally relents, you say "good boy"! .
Redirect his attention to something he likes, like a ball or something.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree, if it's your blood you need to move faster. Abusive is sooo subjective. In the class I have been to they only use positive training methods and for a high drive dog that is unrealistic. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I just want to add that continous correcting of the prong collar could force his drive UP instead of DOWN. I would block his view of what he is 'targeting' and try to get his attention. A favourite treat, a favourite game, it doesnt matter. Keep reinforcing this but it HAS TO BE his #1 favourite thing in the world. Otherwise, the 'target' is much more interesting than you. The other thing you can do is 'watch me' where the dog looks you in the eyes. I would train this command in a room free of disruption/distractions first though, and gradually add distractions/disruptions

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is kicking (quick and hard toe area kicking in front of throat) in the throat abusive? Is this normal is Schutzhund training?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts