German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes he just has so much energy, and he's SO NAUGHTY - he's recently relapsed into Horrible Puppy (again) and been just AWFUL the last few days. He drives me to my wits end and I HAVE. TO. DO. SOMETHING.

So this am I took him tracking, for a 40 min run and then taught him a new trick :D Now we're both exhausted!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Haha! I love that face! "Mom.... Can I please... PLEASE... eat just one... ONE... of these? Please?!"

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
"Just give the signal and these bad boys are mine"

:)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Too funny!

I do that to Stark too when he is nauty.. it's a little payback for being a crazy dog! ;)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Just give the signal and these bad boys are mine"

:)
LOL, exactly. Only I don't ever EVER signal him he can have them. I slowly take them back off and then break them off piece by piece and feed them to him. This way, he isn't tense and waiting for a signal and I can reposition them as needed without him thinking he's going to get them right away (the one on his nose kept sliding off - I started with a big one but it wouldn't stay).

Is he a Dutchie?
Yes, he sure is! :)

Oh! Poor baby! I'm calling the humane society right now.
Someone might believe you since he was "discussing" with me the merits of this trick most of the time I was showing it to him LOL

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I want to know how you've managed to keep him still long enough to put cookies on his paws and nose and then take a picture. That would so not be happening with my Mal. :D Is there super glue involved?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just want to know how you taught him this! We've just accomplished waiting while I put the food bowl down - it's new and dicey and I know we're not ready for anything like this yet but I'm VERY curious!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The method behind the madness. HEHEHEHEH (sorry! overtired, haven't been to bed yet! lol) Luckily, I have pictures of almost all of the steps :D

I've been working on impulse control (via Brenda Aloff techniques) since Madix was a little baby. He knows if I drop a treat or put a treat down, no touching unless I ok it.

Sooooo first I reminded him of that: I laid down on the floor with him, camera within reach and put a treat by his foot and said "leave it". He sniffed, I said "ah ah" and then praised for leaving it. Then I picked it up and gave him pieces. It is key here to never "release" your dog to grab the treat - the main point is that YOU will GIVE the dog the treat when it's time - so they don't even try on their own.

Next, I taught him to put his head down. I said down, he laid down, I said down again and waited - he eventually offered a slight nose tap to the ground and I said "yes" and pet him for a reward. Then I worked on putting my hand on the top of his head and one on his muzzle to pull it out more flat to the ground (because the treat kept sliding off!). No words here at first. Just gently pushed down, started to let up, if his head came up I gently pushed back down (and I mean gently!) and kept that up until he left it flat on his own, then I marked and rewarded.

Then came the treat on his paw with the "leave it" and then I encouraged him to put his head down - I got this:

This is where HE put his own head when I asked him to put it down - I am guessing the treat was still a temptation so he is leaning away. A strong "leave it" if you will. After I got the photo, I took the treat off his paw and fed it to him with praise.

So now we have the head down, the treat on the paw and I moved to the treat on the nose. This was HARD as he was pretty sure I was just missing his mouth so he kept gently opening it and waiting for me to put the treat in. I was just consistent and we ended with this:

His head kept "floating" up and the large treats would NOT stay on there, the small ones even had a hard time. So we did a quick reminder after this of keeping his head more flat to the ground. Then I went to this:

In this one, I kept a finger (literally, one finger) on the end of his nose to reinforce keeping his head down, then I got my camera with the other hand, belly-d back and said "stay" as I took my hand away. He never moved. I didn't push it so I took a handful of photos, quietly said he was a good dog then took the treats off of him and fed the pieces to him while giving lots of praise.

The thing with Madix is to be utterly calm and quiet as he gets quite worked up - and has a low frustration level when he doesn't "get" something right away. But overall, this is about all I did. Took me about 45 min I think...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
You know what I like best about this? If you zoom in on the pictures where the bone is on his nose, he isn't looking at the bone, he's looking straight ahead at you. Talk about great focus, wow, nice job!!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I bet Madix was giving you quite the lecture...great shot!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
what a good boy! Nice control and adorable pics:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts