German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30,725 Posts
That naked man murdered his mother, sister and niece. I'm not sure why they were handling him with kid gloves but you can clearly see the officer, who had no backup, macing the guy and he keeps coming like nothing hit him.

·
Registered
262 Posts
All honesty I would run away to - lol

I almost wanna say the cop must have given the dog a command to stop because he does approach him and then runs to the back of the car but then runs after him again when he sees the cops trying to get him down. I have seen a lot of K9 dog force though and even with commands it was hard to get the dogs to stop. Once they are in "work" mode its hard to turn that off. I am surprised he ran away.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
I would run to. A disturbing scene and story. Wow yeah someone was videoing that and the twisted person thankfully had no weapon at that particular time. I don’t really get that entire scene if the man did run right into the barricade would he be still be on the loose.

·
Super Moderator
5,971 Posts
I read the article also which said the officers tased him,maced him,whacked him with a baton and he kept on going.The dog ran around the car and then went after the guy.Maybe the dog was outed?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
To me it looked like the dog was released from a different vehicle and ran around trying to find the guy.

He’s a sick SOB, I don’t blame the solo officer for trying to keep him away via mace and and I thought I saw a taser deployed.. I would have run from this crazy as well. I feel sorry for the church deacon that was choked out by a crazy, murdering, naked man!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The whole time I was watching the video, I couldn’t stop wondering why they didn’t just shoot the guy. He was clearly asking for it and was completely out of control and unable to be controlled in other ways. Based on what I saw and interpreted (the cop appeared to be running away from the suspect), the police force seems pathetic and not something I would trust to protect me. They actually allowed the guy to strangle someone because they couldn’t control him! Surely that isn’t a good image to be portraying to the public?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Very odd situation. The naked guy seemed to be jogging, rather than running full out, and certainly not running away. The officer who sprayed mace seemed more intent on getting away from the naked jogger rather than spraying the guy directly. I kept wondering why, if he wasn't going to shoot (and what was up with that?), he didn't stand still and hit the jogger full in the face with the stuff. I watched both videos twice. The dog seemed to be released next to the car that he subsequently ran around --- and what that was about defies my understanding. Seems everyone was terrified of the naked guy. Even the backup which didn't seem to quick to take him down. Very confusing.

ETA. Video was taken by a news crew who reported after the police captured the naked jogger who apparently ran at the crew (they ran off too) before going after the church caretaker.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
IDK, I run when naked joggers chase me. I know for a fact I would not be grabbing him, lol. Eeew!

I used to frequently tell Sabi not to bite homeless people that chased/followed/rushed us. Seriously. If you don't know where it's been don't bite it!
I am wondering if the dog was a bit startled by weirdo naked guy romping about or if it perhaps smelled the pepper spray? I got accidently sprayed with that stuff once and I can tell you straight up if I smelled it I would be going the other way!

·
Registered
30,725 Posts
I’m sure the first cop encountering the guy did not want to risk loosing control of his weapon in a wrestling match with a guy who could be drugged up with who knows what.
I can for sure buy that reasoning. he was alone. No back up. Maybe the cars on the road below had just arrived. The guy just killed his mother, sister and nephew....caution seems a smart thing. The guy got maced and kept on going.

·
Super Moderator
5,971 Posts
What Nigel said ^^^^.I think the officers handled it as best they could.

·
Registered
814 Posts
They train law enforcement and their K-9s for many different scenarios that can happen when they arrive on scene...doubt they do much training for something like this......I can only imagine the good natured "ribbing" this officer will get from other officers until the next big thing makes the news and/or social media......

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
When I see something like that, my first guess is "Budgetary Constraints". They don't always get the best dogs and not every dept has the budget to prioritize the training. Its sad, but there's a lot of times officers are in a position of having to just make due with what they have. The dog ran away. The nut practically feeds him his left arm and he doesn't bite it. You could even question the other officer trying to grab the dog and not getting bit. Maybe he's a good detection dog.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Dog failed to engage and ran, if you spend any amount if time watching videos of police dog deployments, this is not all that rare, especially if the intended target is not moving.

He may have been weirded out by the fact that the guy was naked or a handfull of other reasons, either way i wouldnt want this dog having my back as a police officer. Kind of proves just how hard it is to find a dog that will actually stand up to a real threat.

I would guess that the police were trying to avoid shooting this guy because of all the negative publicity with police interactions with people having a mental health issue. Its also very easy to say wed handle the situation differently without ever being in a similar situation.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The naked guy was either on something or mentally ill.

Officers acted with restraint which I respect- that's actually a good thing and allows the courts to do their job rather than summarily executing the man without a trial. He obviously carried no weapons (he was naked) and thus did not present an immediate threat to officers. People who are strung out on certain drugs don't feel pain and act completely irrationally. Don't take this to mean I am in any way defending this man who (allegedly) killed women and a child.

Dog was presented with a situation he didn't know how to handle... that needs to be addressed through training or replacement/retirement of the dog.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Why would the dog bite? The man was not armed, not behaving aggressively and looked a whole lot like he was having fun. I am not sure how you would convey to a dog that there was a threat there. And he wasn't running away so no chase.
Without being there I could not say the dog did anything wrong.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts