German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of getting an above ground pool, not a huge one but im not sure if i should get the metal frame ones or the soft sided. ive seen people with dogs have them but online i read reviews saying dogs will tear them up, but thats on side that try to sell expensive pools.. any ideas or opinions?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My neighbor has the soft side. It has an inflated ring around the top that dog nails would tear up.
I have the metal frame one. No problem, but it's not that deep.
Both are made by Intex.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Mine is 12' x 30". I think my neighbor's is 48" deep, and maybe eighteen feet long.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I have a metal frame one. Intex. It's 16' across and 4' deep. Plenty big for us to float around on a raft on a very hot Oklahoma summer day.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have a metal frame one. Intex. It's 16' across and 4' deep. Plenty big for us to float around on a raft on a very hot Oklahoma summer day.

Your picture makes me want a pool! Actually I've been looking into getting one but don't have much room at my rental. Maybe the 10 or 12 intex would be deep enough to exercise dog in?

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I'm ordering some pool stairs tonight, so I can get the dogs in and out of the pool without one of us drowning, LOL!

I really don't know how deep a pool needs to be for them to swim...

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Beautiful Dogfaeries! We were quoted $40,000 for an inground concrete, I don't see it adding the same amount of money to the value of our home, so we've been thinking the above ground option. Or we were thinking just sink a couple feet in the ground - we're between 2 lakes and already had to inject the foundation of our house, the ground is just not solid if you will, also why we were quoted concrete, we were told fiberglass would pop out of the ground. Did you sink it at all, or is it all above? The decking looks great, how much did it increase the total square footage of the pool?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
We were just talking about a pool today, but I want something the dogs can go in. Based on the previous post, an in ground pool is out due to the cost:(

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Because of where I live, we can't have a permanent pool, so we had to go with the inexpensive Intex pool. We got it at Target. We had to level off an area, and then built our deck around it. We're on our third pool, lol. I love it.

Intex pool

The deck is as high as the pool (over 4' from the ground), so we have some pretty steep steps going up to the deck. The pool yard is separate from the the dog yard, which is good since Carly scrambles up the deck steps if she gets back there.

A photo of the deck when we were building it. It has lattice on it now (top and bottom), and a different pool:

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I talked to my breeder today and we discussed getting the dogs in the pool for exercise and strengthening. I need some pool stairs to get them OUT of the pool once I get them in there. So, I'm getting these stairs ... I'm pretty sure I'm going to like them for me too, lol.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Yes, post pics! Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i'm also interested in getting a pool but was afraid wolfy's nails would tear it up...dogfaeries, how are your dogs with the pool? whats the difference between a metal frame and "ultra frame"?? is one better then another for dogs?

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I haven't got my stairs yet (they're ordered) so the dogs haven't been in the pool yet. My plan is to initially have 2 of us in the pool with one dog. And sort of tag team the dog. Push the dog towards one person and have them swim to them, and then that person do the same.

Our ultra frame pool just seems sturdier. The top rail is flat and not round like our other pool.

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts