·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't bother.
My dog chewed a similar one in less than no time.

Or maybe a large pvc animal water trough/tank?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
I like the bone one that Gwyllgi linked above as far as durability, and it has a drain, we have several of them at work... but to be honest, dogs that are used to round pools (depending on how they like to lay or play in it) may find it less enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Love the ideas posted. Just to throw out another idea, I dug a hole in my backyard and filled it with water. It's rather permanent. And I put a liner in it 2 years ago. The photo was taken awhile back, the pond has morphed since then, but the current crop of dogs love it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the $10 kiddie pool does just fine. You have to consider nails and teeth.
DSCN1011.JPG
I would suggest a trip to the farm store, around here dogs are welcome there. You can find something rugged there. The $400 dog bone is cute but the first time someone decides to sink his or her teeth into it and drag it around the yard you got a problem.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I think I need to go to the feed store for a watering tank. All kiddie pools are sold out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am shopping an above ground pool fro the dogs: GSD and Eng.
I don't think I would buy an Intex type pool ... like in your link.

I think they would tear it up in no time flat. The most important thing about any pool is the dog learning how to get OUT (properly) otherwise they will freak out and randomly head for the walls with claws thrashing.

kiddy pool is nice for them to splash around and even take a drink.. my female will plop right down inside it to cool off.
But they do get dirty almost immediately. I clean mine every morning.

The big pool in the background, they usually jump off the deck and climb up the ladder to get out.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Anybody with metal stock tanks or even solid black plastic ones, does the water get hot during the day? I’m looking into buying something for the dogs because it’s on average 97 degrees where I’m moving. The pool won’t be able to be in shade.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am planning on going for a live stock tank. As long as it is filled I put a branch in it when I leave it alone to save birds or little animals from drowning as the tank can be the closest water source for them in this weather. Learned this the hard way :(

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Anybody with metal stock tanks or even solid black plastic ones, does the water get hot during the day? I’m looking into buying something for the dogs because it’s on average 97 degrees where I’m moving. The pool won’t be able to be in shade.
I had one in FL for the dogs to wallow in. To keep them from going in the pond where there might be gators. It got blazing hot & I had to dump and refill often. But that is FL where the sun is twice as strong. Mine was the black plastic kind. Very strong though.

I now have a little blue splash pool I bought from TSC for 20 bucks like 4 years ago. My own dogs and my boarder dogs have been abusing it all this time and it is still fine! Water gets warm in there on a sunny day of sitting out too. But the boarders get it dirty so fast I usually only fill it a few inches and dump frequently.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yes the water gets warm/ to hot depending on if it is in the direct sun and outside temps. I don't think it matters what material or color you use. Smalll amounts of uncirculated water is going to get warm in the sun or heat.
I filled Z's 50 gal black stock tank about 1/3 full last evening. It's 90 today and over cast. Tank is sitting on my patio that would be in the sun. I just went out with her to play. The water is warm but not hot hot. I just checked it my digital thermometer. Water temp is 91.5 degrees so roughly air temp on a hot overcast day at 3 pm. Even if the water is a little warm (not super hot) it's the being wet and evaporation process that cools them off.

It's not a problem for us as Z won't go in her pool unless the water is fresh so we don't fill it all the way and change water if she needs a playtime cool down. Usually that's once or twice a day when it's really hot outside. Yet if we were on an off leash walk she would plunk down in any mud hole, puddle or swampy dirty nasty area she could find. She is weird!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Last year I had a clam shaped plastic pool. As Nitro is oversized, he could only get his front or back half in at one time, so he was never interested in using it. I'm guessing the sides of the pool made it too restrictive, as he readily lies down in small puddles. The pool got donated, to someone wanting one for their (smaller) dog. This summer, I'll just play with Nitro with the garden hose. He has fun, we both get wet, and there's no problem with storage in winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts