German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My boy is approaching 15 months now.

Measurements in inches
Neck girth: 19.5
Chest: 32
Height: 25 at the withers
Weight: 85lb

Comparison when he was 11 months:
Neck girth: 18.5
Chest: 31.5
Weight: 77lb

His choke chain hardly fits anymore, his head's gotten too big for it!

About to buy this product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BLT85KW?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

The sizes I'm considering are either the 21.5" or the 23.5".

I'm guessing the 21.5" would be a better fit for him, for NOW. It sucks because I think he would've benefited if they had 22.5"...

And I don't think he's started to fill out yet...

Need you guys' opinions, better to buy the 21.5" (will fit better, for a couple months) or the 23. 5" (will be a little big for a couple months, possibly will last longer)?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And just to add, we had switched from choke chain collar to this collar (was using the smallest size) and it's absolutely amazing. Switched from chains because when he pulls they tend to slip and I worry about damaging his neck.

This collar is essentially a choke collar, only that it's leather. It doesn't slip and it stays on top of this neck when we walk. Barely pulls anymore. It's not a common collar in my opinion, I've never seen one at stores, and it was one of the only ones I could find online.

I like using it more than chains or prongs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do you really expect much more growth? I feel like at 15 months, they're pretty much full size.

I would go safe and go with the 21. Amazon has a pretty generous return policy as well, so within a month, if not longer, you can return it if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Nice collar after they have become solid on not pulling. It is not very useful for corrections but ok to keep control over him in life-popping-up situations.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do expect him to still grow. Anticipate, is probably the correct word. Not height wise, but definitely on the head, neck and body. A lot of adult male GSD owners I meet say their 'pup' was as big as mine until they start filling out between 2-4 years old. And as I understand it males don't stop growing until 3.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honestly even with filling out, I dont think he will add that many inches to his neck size, thats a lot. I would go with the 21.5 that fits well. Worst case is it gets a bit snug later on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am a fan of the Herm Sprenger chain with the toggle. You can find it on Amazon. It does not need to fit over the head and can be purchased to match neck circumference to ride up high where it belongs. My brat does not get corrected much at 18 mos. but I prefer the safety net.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah you're right. Think I'm buying the 21". Even though pretty sure gonna wear out in a couple months. But what fits for now so be it! Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts