German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is Ben who is 13 weeks old has turned into a screaming monster in the mornings lol!!! The routine hasn't changed since he's been here but he's decided he doesn't like it.

I get my son on the bus @ 6:30 then proceed to fix my 3 dogs breakfast bowls. I then let them out 1 at a time and get them set up with their breakfast. I have been gating Ben in the kitchen with his bowls and some toys to have his breakfast. (If I don't he won't eat his breakfast and has more fun terrorizing the other two dogs & cat..which we're working on! and he won't eat his own :eek:) I then start laundry and get my breakfast then sit at the dining room table. I'm all of 5 feet away from him but he has been pitching the worst fit the last three mornings. He "screams" at the top of his lungs. After about 15-20 minutes he will calm down some but continues to whine..If I even move to grab something I forgot it all starts over!! Only dog I've ever seen that can take a break from screaming and eat some of his breakfast while he's whining as loud as he can at the same time!!!

Do I keep doing as I have been doing and just let him have it out? Or is there a better way lol. Breakfast time is giving me a migraine and ticking my little man off :wub: At least the other two will eat lol but then again they've been on the same routine for years.

Thanks
Sandy

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I would take him outside and play some fetch or something to get out his early morning energy. Then start the breakfast routine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When we got Lizzie and tried to separate from her especially put her in a contained area like a crate, she screamed. I know what you mean. The sound is not like any other dog I have ever had. She went insane. She wanted to be right there. We just kept trying short periods of time, increased it, rewarded her, and she got better and better. The thing was that if she could not see us, she calmed down. I think seeing you right next to him he wants to get to you. If you could find another place to go for a few while he eats, he might not be so bad. At least that worked for us.

·
2,967 Posts
I agree with the previous 2 posters and would try and follow both suggestions. When you let him out, I would spend maybe 10 minutes running him around throwing his ball and getting some of that "I woke up!!!" energy out. He's at that age where they are starting to grow and get more energy and more need to DO and GO...In my experience it gets worse before it gets better.

And then I would put him in his crate or kennel or somewhere with no distractions and no visible choices. My dogs always fuss more when they can see me. It's like they have an audience for their complaining and there might be a chance I'll give into their demands. I give my dogs 15 minutes with their food. If he spends the whole time fussing then he doesn't get to eat that meal because I take it away. It usually only takes once or twice and then they settle down to eat more quickly.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I would take him outside and play some fetch or something to get out his early morning energy. Then start the breakfast routine.
I also agree with this. Tons more exercise in the am before breakfast. And he's at the age you may generally need to be upping the daily exercise, training and socialization.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts