German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apollo is almost 8 months old now(they grow up so fast!!) but just now, he had some hiccups and gagged a little. Is this abnormal? I know that puppies can have hiccups and that it can mean growth, I was just wondering because it had been so long since he had the hiccups. I'm a little paranoid when it comes to my boys. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
We all worry about out pups, specially the first year, and when new/strange things crop up.

Usually they are nothing, but keep an eye on whats occuring. Cause if you are really concerned you'll have real info to give to the vet about what/when/why/how.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is he eating his food out of a bowl on the floor? My breeder suggested a higher dish so Baron doesn't have to lean over so far. He's 8 months and getting pretty tall now and the breeder said she had to get one for his dad. I just bought one tonight. Lately he has been sitting down for a couple seconds like "whew I gotta rest a minute because this bowl is so far down." Anybody have any pros or cons to the lifted dog bowl? Baron seemed to like it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll be interested to hear the pros and cons of a higher bowl. I've read some of each and still wonder which is best.

Roxie has a lifted bowl and seems to do well with it as she has had no digestive problems. Right now, Falken's bowl is on the floor and occasionally he will lay down when he eats which makes me think a higher bowl would be better since he's getting taller every day!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Sounds totally normal and uneventful.

If the hiccups are short lived and don't happen very often then I wouldn't be concerned.

If you find them happening several times a day you may want to investigate.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Tonight when Baron ate he stood there and ate the whole dinner no breaks and no sitting. Seems to me he enjoys it more or its easier on him. So I say high bowl thumbs up

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Purdue Veterinary School conducted a study and concluded that raised bowls can be a contributing factor to bloat. http://www.moonstruckmeadows.com/Bloat%20(GDV)%20Study.htm

Some people poo-poo this conclusion. But bloat can kill. And often does. So I personally would never risk it.

Hiccups are perfectly normal in puppies. Yes, even often. The diaphragm isn't fully developed yet. They outgrow it. Well, almost completely. My adult GSD gets hiccups about once or twice a year.
But my other adults never seemed to get hiccups after they outgrew them. Depends on the dog, I guess.

If there's digestive issues, it could mean your dog is eating too fast. You can put one or a couple tennis balls in his food bowl. That slows him down because he has to eat around the balls. He can't gulp as much air.

Some dogs just prefer to eat lying down, just like some always eat standing up. Some vary depending where they are, how tired they are, what they're eating, etc.

If your dog seems uncomfortable eating, look also at the flooring. One of my dogs eats standing on the cushiony dining room carpet with her bowl on the kitchen floor; another has a thick throw rug. (The other prefers to eat outside on the lawn). So maybe that's all it takes, and there's zero risk from using a simple throw rug.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I woudn't use a raised bowl if my dog didn't need it.

We have a raised water bowl for Maiya (Megaesophagus) and we also keep one on the floor for Annabelle. If Annabelle drinks out of the raised bowl sometimes she gags, hacks, and swallows too much air. Fortunately Annabelle prefers the bottom bowl over the top.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Even though Baron is eating out of the raised bowl he still is leaning over to eat out of it. He is also starting to eat slower too so I guess that helps, but no gagging or even burping since the new higher bowl. Eating off the floor just looked like he was uncomfortable while eating

1 - 9 of 9 Posts