German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some may know I just had an abdominal hernia repaired on friday and I am having problems. This all my be TMI but I have not had a bowel movement since before surgery and the pain meds are making me constipated.
and my hernia was a traditional repair so the muscle was stitched together so I CANNOT push.. if you know what I mean. Also as my intestines move its causing me pain in the surgical site. I am just soooo uncomfortable guys!! and I have taken quite a few stool softeners/laxatives with no prevail. I am so uncomfortable and in pain and just bloated... any suggestions?

·
Registered
524 Posts
After 3 Cesareans, I know how difficult it is for you. Eating lots of fiber, metamucil, drinking lots of water, none of it worked.

This sounds wierd, but REALLY HOT Prune Juice. I swear, it really worked for me.

Good Luck

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ouch !!

Have you tried Philips Milk of Magnesia (sp?) ??

I had a back issue a few years ago that left me temporarly with no feeling (& hence no way to "push") & that was what my Dr. recommended. Worked good for me, you just can't use it everyday tho (2 or 3x per week max as I recall).

Good luck, hope you heal up quick !

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Most of the major pain meds slow down the gut. If you can wean off them at all, it may help.

Try: Canned pears. Really works! No idea why, but the old-age nursing homes SWEAR by canned pears! Not a lot of people enjoy prunes. The canned pears really work.

Also try: (this also works like a charm!) Make yourself a very small bowl of sour cream onion dip. Add a full teaspoon of olive oil, and mix it in. Scoop up the dip with wedges of fresh bell pepper. The secret: The full teaspoon of olive oil. Most of us cannot manage to choke down just a teaspoon of olive oil alone, so hiding it in the bit of fresh sour cream onion dip gets it down! You can also add it to Tsatsiki, the Greek yogurt stuff.. however you can get that full teaspoon of olive oil down.

Also try: Make yourself a very small plate of spaghetti. Add the olive oil atop it.

Or: Make a small salad, drizzle olive oil atop it.

Drink lots of water.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great advice... I am going to try a few of the recommendations. Sending hubby out right now for some of the things. I am starting today to wean off the pain meds since the pain now seems to be alot more managable. My back is killing me now though because of laying in the same position for days. I am real tired of laying around in bed. I find that today though I am able to sit up without a terrible amount of pain so that is progess. Walking around though still not an option. oh well.. thank you again. My poor belly is allready swollen from the surgery so add constipation to that.. not comfy.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Try some spicy food. I too had surgery and was concerned about that but my sister came over with some Thai food and guess what no problems. I know how painful it must be for you. Hope your feeling better soon.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ugh I dont know if I can wean myself off the pain pills yet... I am having sharp burning stabbing pains to the right of the incision site.. I was told this is most likely from the nerve damage but should resolve itself in 2-4 weeks. I am so uncomfortable

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i had a hernia operation Jan.28th. there was no pain after the
operation. i never took the pain pills. i went to the hospital at 9:30 am. within a 1/2 hour they took me to this room and started an IV.
several doctors stopped in and asked a lot of questions. 10:30 am.
i'm on the operating table. 11:15/11:30 i woke up in the recovery room. 12:30 pm. i'm leaving the hospital. 12:50 pm i ordering an Italian hoagie fromthis market down the street from the hospital.

i was moving rather slow but i was up and moving. i slept on the sofa for a few nights. it felt better being up right on the sofa as opposed to being supine in bed.

when i came home from the hospital my dog greeted us (my GF)
at the door in his usual manner. i put my arm across my navel
area because i didn't want his head hitting me in that area.
as soon as my dog got closed to me he stopped and started moving
very slowly. as he was getting closer to me he lifte dhis head
and started sniffing in the air. he walked very slow towards me
and sniffed around. then he slowly sniffed the area which i was
operated on, my navel. i slowly made my way to the sofa and sat down. my dog walked beside but he was being very light on his feet. after i sat down he laid on the florr beside me. he knew something was wrong.

did you let your surgeon know you're experiencing all of
this discomfort? i hope you feel better soon, good luck.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Two c-sections, tubal ligation, and hysterectomy - warm prune juice or hot coffee with LOTS of cream.

What do your discharge papers say about walking? After each surgery they had me up and about the next day.

Can you get a second opinion on that "sharp burning stabbing" pain?

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I used to know a few girls who loved to eat, but used to keep themselves thin by doing this. It would probably work in your situatuo. 1 cup sea salt in 1 liter of warm/hot water, mix well. Drink it all down. In an hour or so you will be in the bathroom. You will be in the bathroom for awhile.... LOL

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
There are, I believe 2 types of surgery for hernia repair, on e is the open-incision, where they go through the skin, repair the muscle with a mesh material, and stitches, and then stitch the skin back over, or the laparoscopic repair, where the make a tiny hole for a camera, and they actually do the repair from the inside. One would not be so painful post-op, but the other might be quite painful.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Kristin, I would go in for a re-check regarding the pain. Just to be sure all is well! Please, don't be stoic. Abdominal stuff needs to be monitored. They will be glad you came in, they will not think you a crybaby. Maybe just see if your surgeon can have a look at the site, check your vitals, etc. You will be in my thoughts!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Kristen I second calling the drs office and asking them about not being able to move around and the bathroom issue.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually am able to move around much beter today, just still quite a bit of pain. I have a post op appt. on tuesday I think... and I had a traditional open surgery repair, no mesh, no laproscope, they sewed together the actual muscle. I had called and was told this pain was pretty normal because there are many nerves in the abdomen and this is "only my second full day since surgery". *shrugs* and that she would see me in a few days for the post op.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
For my c-sections I was cut from the belly button down. I didn't have any stabbing pain.

·
Registered
865 Posts
CALL YOUR VET..... ERRRRRRRRRR... I meant Dr... lol

Seriously though, more than 3 days without a BM, especially following surgery they should know. I'm sure the hot prune juice wouldn't hurt you, nor a dose of MO... but beyond that DON"T WAIT... Monday give them a call and be sure it's monitored

·
Registered
865 Posts
PS.... sorry for making you laugh when it hurts...

but they say laughter heals!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Are you passing gas? Is your gut rumbling? If not, you may have an ileus and that's not good. Call your doc.

If it's just bloating and constipation, add some Mylicon to all the excellent advice here to help with the gas part.

The second day is usually the worst.

Nurse Judie who has also had abdominal hernia repairs...hang in there!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
If Milk of mag does not work pick up some Mirilax. Very gentle but effective, do not try to use a harsh laxative such as dulcolax as it will make you much more miserable. If you still cannot go, use a dulcolax suppository but NOT the pills. Last ditch effort would be a fleets enema.

I second the question are you passing gas? Can you hear bowel sounds, if you are unsure and have no stethascope get hubby to place his ear over your tummy. Get him to listen to all 4 quadrents of your bowel (right and left just above your belly button and slightly below) he should listen to each area for up to 5 minutes, if he hears a rumble then that quadrent is good and he can move on. If he hears nothing, call the dr imediately.

Try to lay on your left side if possible, it does encourage modality in the decending colon.

Hugs to you sweetie, post op constipation is the pits....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts