1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer:
I am not a first time dog owner but this is my first GSD

Further disclaimer:
I took Guinness in at 5 months, I am not his original owner.

What I have been told:
He was purchased at 8 weeks from a local breeder with an excellent reputation who let him go at a lower price than normal because he was a blue. One of the couple owning him was disabled and the other was working two jobs. His busy owner adored him, hated to let him go and when she came to visit him at obedience class encouraged him to leap up on her before saying "Oh, I guess I shouldn't do that." The other owner apparently put him outside and left him alone outside a lot. I was told "he just isn't into the dog like I hoped and it isn't fair to the puppy." My vet took one look at him and said "Oh girl, he's going be a big one, I'm guessing somewhere between 115 and 125 lbs once full grown."

Issues I am facing:
Convenient hearing - not new, I have had puppies do this and got through it, heck some of them did it as adults
Biting at the leash
Jumping on people
Getting on the couch, ignoring get down commands, snapping at anyone who gets close enough they might try to remove him from the couch
Tries to charge the door if I try to go outside without crating him
Not easily distracted even with a favorite toy when he decides he wants to "taste" the couch, the carpet, the shoe on your foot

Correction issues:
A sharp NO, shaking a bottle full of pennies, etc. have no effect as corrective tools

Good stuff:
He's scary intelligent
House breaking is spot on and he alerts at the door when he has to go
Very good about his crate and will sleep through the night once lights are off
He wants to please and is very sweet

I go to obedience/training classes twice a week with him and he is a lot better for the trainer than he is me. Also not a new issue, I've had this with horses too, LOL

Please tell me that he isn't crazy, uncorrectable or will always be incorrigible.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with your puppy. He's just being a puppy that has had no training or discipline until now.

He will be a bit more difficult than a brand new puppy that hasn't learned any bad habits yet, but he's not to old to be trained.

Your trainer needs to train you as well so you both (you and the puppy) can work together instead of at odds with one another.

I think the most important training an owner can have is knowing what motivates these dogs and how they think. Each one is an individual, but they all have characteristics in common. Once you know how these dogs think you can use that to your advantage.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Welcome! Guinness is lucky to have you. Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Sounds like a normal pup, nothing is wrong with him (except the size--that's much bigger than normal).

I wouldn't assume he's not listening, instead I would assume that he doesn't actually understand what you're asking him to do. I would assume he's like a little puppy, put him on Nothing in Life is Free, set him up for success, reward everything he does that you want him to do and forget about corrections until he learns what it is you want him to do.

And don't forget to post pictures!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Sounds like a normal pup, nothing is wrong with him (except the size--that's much bigger than normal).

I wouldn't assume he's not listening, instead I would assume that he doesn't actually understand what you're asking him to do. I would assume he's like a little puppy, put him on Nothing in Life is Free, set him up for success, reward everything he does that you want him to do and forget about corrections until he learns what it is you want him to do.

And don't forget to post pictures!
Excellent advice about Nothing in Life is Free - and you'll find lots of suggestions in the Puppy Place and Training & Behavior of the GSD forums. You may also want to post your training questions there.

First line - I disagree, bigger than normal doesn't mean something is wrong with your pup. Some gsds are bigger than standard, some are smaller.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't assume he's not listening, instead I would assume that he doesn't actually understand what you're asking him to do
In his case, he understands "NO" quite well, he only chooses to respond, especially when he is on the couch, when he feels like it. If I tell him NO before he goes to get on the couch, he will not jump on it. He does it when my back is turned - have I mentioned he is really smart? LOL

He is a belly warrior, so small food rewards do make an impression, so I have been using it as a distraction. Rather than try to drag him off the couch since he isn't listening to a command, I call him to me, give him a few other commands and reward him. That is helping, as is my mother in law laying her TV trays across it. He jumped up, pinched his butt and jumped down.

Right now, he's being a saint, lying next to me. I think he's planning something :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts