German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grimm turned 2 today, so I tried (tried!) to get stacked photos. Yes, I know-- TWO people are better than one trying this, but... I was alone today.

Here's the problem:

When I pose him, he KISSES me to death!
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
My face is low enough as I adjust his legs that he goes nuts in the kissing department. Today he scoured my corneas!

Then, when I tell him to "stay!" as I try to walk away, he either sits or downs!
And he acts as if he is smug about being obedient when he does it-- so obviously, he associates "stay in one place" with holding a sit or a down.

How do you get a young wiggle-worm, enthusiastic, strong-minded, loving-as-all-get-out GSD stacked? Wait until they hit middle age??
Get him ready for a nap.. THEN try??

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I'm NOT the person to give you advice, but I can feel your pain

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh you can, can you?
ROFL!! Does Diabla
have The Fastest Tongue In The West, too?

·
Registered
932 Posts
it is hard trust me..LOL use a different command like stand, or focus something other than stay if he is putting that with sit or down, once you get him to stand/stay then work on moving away (trust me it is a lot harder than it sounds..LOL)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i was in a dog show with Loki when he was little puppy. i went to stack him and fell over him. before i fell over him he turned and gave me the nip. we managed to win 2nd place. it doesn't matter that there was only 2 of us in the ring. 2nd place is 2nd place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally Posted By: LicanAntaiI'm NOT the person to give you advice, but I can feel your pain
same here. i feel the same lols!!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfOh you can, can you?
ROFL!! Does Diabla
have The Fastest Tongue In The West, too?
Oh I wish!!! She have the Fastest Fangs
Everything in life is play for her.

But I'm being unfair to her. She has her sweet side and loves the chest scratching, but it wouldn't be a good stack picture with her playing the guitar and a smile half the way to reach her ear

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This must be the way to do it. I'm clueless! I've never trained a dog to show in my life. I guess we could start training a stand-stay, provided I could get protective goggles to keep me safe from Mr. Kissy-tongue! LOL His attitude during the stack is always: "Hahahahaaa! Love you, Mama!! Hahahaaaaa!!"

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Everyone laughed at how I did it but it worked. I would show him a treat, tell him wait and put the food on the ground, then pose him. Then pick up the treat say wait, and hold it in front of his nose then give it to him. He could hold the pose longer and longer. We aren't great but he holds the pose and he is sooo focused on the treat, he doesn't kiss or bite or try to sit. He now will stand even if I don't put the food down he knows when he is stacked I will take it out of my pocket and the longer he stays the more treats come out my pocket. He is 7 months old and will hold it for maybe 30-45 seconds now. And eventually it will be an awesome obedience stay, we are back to classes and obedience now.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I taught Misha a stand/stay in obedience. Chaos will be next....and I think he is a younger "Grimmy" so will prove to be "fun".

The way I did it: I had Misha in a sit. Her leash was held taunt at the top of her collar (shoulders), and then put my hand (palm side down) under her stomach. I then "helped" her stand with the leash while raising my hand under her stomach and saying "stand". (I did not care where her feet were to begin with). I then gave her the "stay" comand and had her hold still for a moment or two, gradually working up to a longer "stay" time. *Then* I started messing with her feet after she got the "concept" of oh, I'm supposed to stand here and not move?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts