German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi GSP,

Pumpkin is back. After tackling a Giardia and some soft tissue aches and pains around the new year, Pumpkin was doing well for 4-6 weeks. Healthy, gaining weight, happy and energetic. 40 lbs at 7 months (I am pretty sure he's a Shepherd/Corgi mix).

About 3 weeks ago, he morning vomited alternating days over the course of 6 days. First day it was at midnight, was undigested food. Fast forward 36 hours (feeding only rice and chicken) he vomited in the AM, mostly bile with a bit of fuzzy toy innards. Okay, more chicken and rice, 48 hours later, another morning bile no toy innards. Lip licking and yawning. Went to the vet. Saw '2nd banana' vet, abdominal xray was clear, they gave him IV fluids, pepcid, ordered Hill's prescription dry puppy.

Day after I picked up Hill prescription (maybe 5 days since initial visit) I was able to talk to 1st banana (owner of the practice, whom I love). She changed the protocol, got Pumpkin actual anti-nausea drugs and Hills I/C Turkey. Pumpkin eats the Hills, but still lip licking, yawning and what looks like holding back vomit after eating (Hills only).

So I add in a little Fromm's, and the vomit reflex seems a LOT better, but still lip licking/yawning. A week later, I take him back for 2nd xrays, bloodwork and ultrasound. Negative for Addisons, Pancreatitis, and Gastroenteritis...Ultrasound was fine...but even the vet noticed the yawning (he yawned like 10 times during the ultrasound).

Currently, he is at the tail end of 7 days of his anti-nausea and meals consisting of 1/2 hills and 1/2 Fromms. Definitely less yawning (maybe 8 times, total, today) and not lethargic, but I feel like he's lost a bit of stamina (but he's offleash at a dog park for a good 60-90 minutes a day, so certainly not sleeping all day). 1st banana Vet said that if the yawning didn't completely resolve itself by today, she wants me to go to an internist (and that is is likely allergies). And today I noticed he stumbled at maybe 4 times when getting up or walking. He corrects himself, but I am wondering (before I go and spend another $2k on an internist/allergist):

1. Could shaving of his belly or a growth spurt (he is definitely growing again) cause the stumbles?
2. Could any of these symptoms be related?
3. How many times a day does your dog yawn? Is this just a GSP trait I've forgotten about?
4. Or am I simiply a crazy, over anxious first time puppy parent? (which is what my dog sitter thinks) :nerd:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Isn't hills recalled due to Vit D toxicity? You may want to look into your UPC codes and/or special blend he's on and find out if....

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Before seeing the internist, write down EVERY symptom you are noticing, no matter how silly they may seem to you. Yes, there may be something that connects the stumbling and the yawning. I just don't know. Could there be a neurological issue? I have heard of fake rabies. Now I'm yawning, and I better go stumbling home soon. But really, this can be some tick disease or something.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
It does sound like it maybe neurological it is a good idea to have them check for tick born illnesses. Did you check the mouth, teeth, gums maybe something is stuck between the teeth or roof of mouth such as a stick and or swallows a stick causing isssues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't hills recalled due to Vit D toxicity? You may want to look into your UPC codes and/or special blend he's on and find out if....

Gator, this was one of the first things I thought of. His brand and codes are not impacted. But I want to get him off this asap. Honestly, I don't trust Hills.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does sound like it maybe neurological it is a good idea to have them check for tick born illnesses. Did you check the mouth, teeth, gums maybe something is stuck between the teeth or roof of mouth such as a stick and or swallows a stick causing isssues.

Vet did check teeth gums, etc. Even put him on a medicine to help calm any throat irritation (Sucrafalate, as he does like his sticks). Of course, the dog sitter did not dissolve it like I told him to (vet walked me thru how to dissolve it in a syringe), just gave it to Pumpkin to swallow. Urge to kill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before seeing the internist, write down EVERY symptom you are noticing, no matter how silly they may seem to you. Yes, there may be something that connects the stumbling and the yawning. I just don't know. Could there be a neurological issue? I have heard of fake rabies. Now I'm yawning, and I better go stumbling home soon. But really, this can be some tick disease or something.

Thanks, for the reminder on notation. Will start that today.

The stumbles were very minor, like 1 misstep then he corrects himself. He didn't have it before the ultrasound, so I think it may be irration/scratches from his shaved belly. But who knows.

I started him on Benedryl today, in case it's allergies. He tolerates this well (was prescribed that earlier when he had a fungal infection on his paw), figure it can help rule out environmental allergy issues.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Recently my guy went through a period of excessive yawning with a pop sound. The yawning was an attempt to relieve pressure/pain. did the vet check his facial muscles, jaw, and a good look at teeth.

I believe there is a test that can be done to rule out Vit. D toxicity if you question the food.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Mine had episodes of vomiting over a period of 15 months. Each time, she began refusing to eat at all Xrays showed nothing. She had blood in her stool and vomit. We tried sucralfate and Cerenia, which helped. She was on Fromm. We switched to Hills, then back to Fromm. Last time we switched to RC rabbit and potato, then finally got an ultrasound and found it is IBS. I just switched her to prepared raw and she is doing well, but not until I had a definitive diagnosis.

We looked at everything. I even asked about obscure tick related disease, but she did not have any neurological symptoms or fever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts