German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I havent been on much as alot is happening and today I woke up really late and still had the three dogs to rotate. Last week due to a community tragedy I had to spend my Sunday night from 7;00pm to 10:30 at work. I'm a type one diabetic and as I get older I dont do well w/ change to my routine. The girls and Lucky are currently in a state of detente which requires alot of rotation and doling out the most precious commodity "time". Husband is back out in the truck since one truck is still in the shop and the repair bill needs to be made up for. We also are moving ,bigger house ,when fenced it will have two sections so everybody can be outside .I am so excited but at the same time really tired. Im suddenly aware of my age . If you asked the boos Lucky would tell you he needs more ball time ,the girls would tell you put the boy in the basement we need more time. Son is graduating need to get his senior pictures (he chose to forgo the yearbook shot) and I feel incredibly overwhelmed and could use a warm sunny place where no one knows my name. Dont get me wrong I love the girls and unless a home comes up where they would be more happy and have more time while being together they have their furwever home. However I as a dog mom am feeling like Im not moving quick enough. On top of this I developed an ulcer on my foot a week ago . Dr states i need a circulation test.He gave antibiotics and ointment however due to a large scale audit by the state I not only have been working but wearing dress boots, Its healing but walking in shoes irritates and so today I said the Heck w/ this and took the morning off. I at the same time am angry w/ myself for using time that I maybe should have saved. Yep Im definitely overwhelmed.
So here is my question to you how do you balance it all work ,family (I know alot of you care for your parents and others) as well as the very important furrry family?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath.....you can only do one thing at a time. I try to prioritize giving the dogs as much as I can even though at times it isn't as much as I'd like. Right now we have so much going on I was really glad we took Sunday off and enjoyed some time together with the dogs.
Even if I don't have a lot of time I always give lots of love, I'm sure that's worth something.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I don't have as much responsibility as some on this board.... I don't have kids, I don't care for parents, or anything like that. But what I CAN say is.... I do have a house to care for, 3 young dogs, my SO, I work to pay a lot of bills, and I train in Schutzhund and Personal protection with two of the three dogs. Soon, I will also be going back to school to finish up some degrees I had started. For our age... we have a lot on our plate.

I will admit, it's very difficult to work everything in and all the dogs needs. I love my dogs to death, but they certainly make my life a lot busier. Because the females don't get along (was expected), we crate and rotate here. So I have to make sure everyone is out the proper amount of time... worked, tired, happy... then go on to the next. Dinner (and breakfast for the pup) takes a good chunk of time at night while I could be cooking for the humans here. Weekends are pretty much dedicated to the dogs. That's when I do a lot of training, trim nails, groom, bathe if needed, clean their room, socialization time, take them hiking or down to the fields for some fun, etc. It does chew up a lot of time that my SO and I could have together. BUT, it's worth it. I love my dogs. They protect my home and us here, they bring love and laughter to our home, and they keep us company through good and bad times.

Mostly what I did to make things a bit easier, is create a system. I have a schedule I follow daily. I rarely change it, and the dogs and I both have things memorized. It works for us and has shortened the time down and allowed me to get everything done. Most I do on my own, but there are things my SO helps me with to shorten the time. For example: When I bike everyone, he'll have the next dog leashed and ready to go... I walk in the house and switch dogs. He gets collars and leashes off and lets them get some water, relax, and then kennel.. next dog... and so on. This has saved me about 1-2hrs.... and the dogs each get more personal time.

That's what worked for us. When we go off the schedule or before when we would just scramble around to get everything done..... it was way too hectic and nothing ever really got done. I was too overwhelmed, and like you... I just wanted to be far away for a bit to just be ME and not worry about everything and everyone else. It's do-able now. Most days go through without any issues. Maybe you can make some sort of system, and learn what steps you can take to shorten everything down... so you have some time to relax?

Just an idea. Hope this helps. If not, just know others have been there too!;)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kiya and Tricky Shepherd.I still feel a little overwhelmed but my husband is home after his trailer was damaged while unloading . Happy for support but sad re the expense.I do believe the giving love counts and I remind myself that I am incredibly fortunate that Lucky is as healthy and active as he is for his age.I also have to laugh as the girls crawled all over as we snuggled on their old but still leather couch last night after i watched a movie w/ our son upstairs w/ Lucky getting belly rubs. Im also probably a bit older then alot of forum members and sometimes I want me to be the person I was at 30. Tricky Shepherd you and your husband sound like you are both incredibly busy but have a great partnership. Kiya I think the hugs and affectation do count. Tell you respective packs they are lucky to have such wise pack leaders.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I keep a strict schedule, it helps me focus on one thing at a time. Also I find being with the dogs actually helps me relax and destress from the day so that helps. I take long walks to clear my mind and take them with me, we both enjoy the exercise

Also Saturday is MY day. We sleep in and I clean the house, do laundry, buy groceries, etc and do the minimum with the dogs. They follow me around the house and seem to understand the little attention. Since every other day is focused on them I figure I deserve the break ;) lol

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I am currently going through a move and my dog is tugging on me LARGE, no time to write this so w/o going into detail as I have to go out the door for a 1 hr. walk...

...the foot thing - try castor oil packs - soak a cloth/fabric and apply to the ulcer - will draw crud inside to surface. wrap the foot to secure poultice, apply a heating pad or something too:)...massage into your feet and lymph nodes (check online where) supposed to help w/lymph drainage and improve circulation - also good for arthritic joints when heat pad is applied over poultice which is then wrap in plastic

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Another suggestion is to soak in epsom salt. I too am a diabetic and developed a boil or something. I had to soak in epsom salt twice a day. Then work the pus out immediately after the soak.

I have no clue on how to get balance. I do taxes and this is tax season, so I am busy on top of my regular job. Plus the trainer said I need to work Fiona more, because I am spoiling her. So I suppose the 2 - 3 hours I spend a day here is going to get cut.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another suggestion is to soak in epsom salt. I too am a diabetic and developed a boil or something. I had to soak in epsom salt twice a day. Then work the pus out immediately after the soak.

I have no clue on how to get balance. I do taxes and this is tax season, so I am busy on top of my regular job. Plus the trainer said I need to work Fiona more, because I am spoiling her. So I suppose the 2 - 3 hours I spend a day here is going to get cut.
Oh wow tax season i bet you are busy. I am the ultimate spoiler. Puppy eyes work very well on me. I will check out the epsom salts and the castor oil poultice.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't have anywhere near as much on my plate as you do, basically my career and my pack... But when I have to go out on a new project, it's always a 7 day workweek, with minimum 15 hour days... And we are all four (me and a 3-dog pack) living out of a hotel for months at a time.

I reassure myself by remembering that it's all temporary. I look back over my life and identify easier times, harder times, and then I sit down and ask myself how I will choose to face today's stress: those days when I feel so overwhelmed I could cry, I remind myself of all the things I am grateful for.

I mean, we might spend 6 months out of a year away from home in a cramped hotel room where they languish until I get home. But you know what, they get fresh meat very day, we exercise every day even when it's not nearly enough, and nobody is starving, in a shelter, being overbred in deplorable conditions...what we have might not always be ideal, but all of our situations are temporary and I am always looking forward to the next peaceful phase.

I have learned that no amount of planning, scheduling, goal setting, nor beating myself up will provide what we need.

Only gratitude. If you spend ten minutes tonight sitting with your dogs and counting your blessings, I bet you will feel a whole lot better.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
363 Posts
I completely feel your pain. I sometimes find myself exhausted to the point that I feel like I'm going to collapse.

Average day for me:
Up at 5:30.
Start breakfast, iron clothes while breakfast is cooking.
Take dogs out, feed chickens and barn cats (and until last week, the horse)
Feed dogs and husband.
6:30, wake kids.
Help little one get dressed, teeth brushed.
Feed kids.
Get myself showered and dressed.
Take dogs back out.
Put breakfast dishes in the sink. Put dogs up.
7:20, rush out the door.
Drop oldest daughter off first, then drop off youngest daughter.
Begin work at 8:00, take lunch at 12, drive back home, take the dogs on a mile walk, load the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher, back to work by 1:00, usually eating a sandwich on the way.
Work til 5:00, pick up the little one, go home, start supper, take the dogs out, eat supper, another walk for the dogs, depending on what day it is the schedule from this point varies....Mondays we have Scouts for the oldest daughter from 6-8. Tuesday is Church rehearsal from 6-9. Wednesday the FIL comes over for supper. Thursday is Obedience Class from 7:30-8:30, Friday is Church from 6-8:30. Saturday is my day to catch up on everything that didn't get done during the week, and Sunday we're at Church from 8:30 to 1:00.
Then there's laundry, chores, baths for the kids, homework, housework, and if I'm lucky, I'm finally ready for bed by 10:30.

By Sunday afternoon I'm ready to fall over... so when I come in from Church, I usually lay down for a much needed and well earned nap. Of course I have to threaten the children with horror stories of work camps and torture if they wake me up.... :blush:

At some point I think you have to take a step back and look at what's best for you, the family and really assess how much you can do.
I've had to cut back. Sold my horse, didn't have time to ride. Let go of my Bible Study group. Had to trim softball from the oldest daughter.... I just couldn't do it all, and I felt like I was failing. It was terrible. Then when my father had a stroke, I physically worked myself sick. It took my doctor telling me enough is enough, before I'd really accept that I was stretched too far.

I still have a busy schedule. But now, I'm not over-booked and frazzled. We have a schedule and it works for us. We micro-manage our time and stay organized and it works out.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I was just going to say, having a schedule was the best thing that could've ever happened. I am the main house-person; I do the majority of the cooking, cleaning, and animal rearing. My MIL lives with us and we semi-take care of her. I was getting so frustrated trying to fit 24 hours of work into 16 hours of awake time...especially coming off a 24 hour shift or if I was ill with the problems I had then.

One of the biggest things I did was start and end my day with fifteen minutes of me time. I'm not big on a set schedule, but our most recent schedule looks something like this:

0600- Wake up, coffee, put Finn out.
0625- Shower, dress
0645- Fill/Clean food and water bowls, feed Fish, give Millet spray to bird. Give DentaStix/Chew to Finn. Quick round of ball play.
0700- Leave for PT/Work
1630- Home. Coffee and 15 minutes of down time.
1650- Walk time with Finn.
1800- Dinner for Humans.
1900- Clean the house.
2100- Computer/TiVo catch-up time.
2230- Short walk with Finn or ball play.
2300- Shower, get ready for bed.
Lights out by midnight.

I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed. I wish I could say something magical to make it better, but the best I can say is love on your fur-babies all you can. I feel bad the days where I feel as if my responsibilities with my fur kids stopped at potty breaks because I am so busy doing other things, but I know that he is just as happy when he gets a minute to snuggle with me the same way he's happy when he gets ball play in his backyard.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think it's MUCH harder when you have to crate & rotate dogs..can be very stressful, take up alot of time to make sure everyone gets what they need, etc.

You've taken on a huge task but I know your heart is in a good place:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Reading your post I caught myself shaking my head in understanding agreement. I, too, am a Type 1 Diabetic. Lately I've been so overwhelmed with life in general. Our older GSD mix has adrenal cancer and the meds we've been using to stall the tumor's growth aren't working anymore, I'm a full time student, have a part time job at a research lab, my husband is currently overseas with the military, and I've got our other dogs to include a 20 week old GSD, Malcolm to try to make sure I walk, train, and socialize properly in this really important time in his life. I know just how tough being so busy and overwhelmed can be on diabetes. I feel like I haven't gotten a full night's sleep in months as I get high sugar from stress and wake up feeling like crap at least once a night needing to bolus insulin. I don't know if I have any advice, exactly, but I just wanted to let you know that I empathize completely with how you're feeling and wanted to offer some support.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Sweet lady, we all feel overwhelmed sometimes. There are days we wonder how we are going to be in ten places at one time. There are mornings we wake up wishing the day was over, because we know it's going to be a REAL LONG day. I'm old too. Think of all we have survived - loss of loved ones, illnesses, kids, dogs, parents, bills, etc., etc. etc. Somehow we got through it all and will again. Those days when we wake up with a horrible migraine or a stomach virus, we aren't leaving the house. We will spend the day alternating between bed and throwing up in the toilet. Life will go on without us, because some days, we can't do anything.

It feels like everybody wants a piece of us. We are the captains of our ships. Oddly, others can and will do, if we can't. The dogs may like more attention, but they will deal with what they get. One day they will get more. I totaled my car and spent the night in the hospital with my injured child. My dog was home alone, in a crate for 24 hours. Would I ever choose to leave my dog in a crate for 24 hours without a potty break? Of course not. Did it kill her? No. Did it have a long lasting negative impact? No. Heck, she didn't even go to the bathroom in there. Bless her heart.

You are one person. You can only do what you can do. Make a list of what you need to do each day. Focus on your priorities. Let the rest go. Priority number one is your health.
You will be no good to anybody if you are not well. Let that foot heal. Tell your boss you aren't wearing any stinking shoes to work.

I copied a link to the serenity prayer. Doesn't matter if you are Christian, or not, or if you use the words as a prayer, or just really good advice. There is a lot of wisdom in the words. I repeat them to myself often. I hope you are feeling better really soon - both physically and emotionally.

Hugs to you and the boos.

The Serenity Prayer

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you everybody. Reading your schedules and the suggestions is great. Actually just the support and sharing make me feel better.
Jack& Mattie - Your point about how most things do change is quite true and I do have more to be grateful for then to be negative about. This forum has always been a great support in the past two years .
Reading other folks schedule is a great thing cause I know Im not alone in feeling I need a beach. thanks guys.
Jen the impact that everything from eating to hormones to stress and a hectic schedule has on a diabetic is mindblowing. The high blood sugars in the morning is like paying a bill for having alot of chocolate cake except you didnt get any cake. I have a hard time staying off my feet and right now I know if the boos and I are gonna enjoy our pond and woods I have to rest the foot. I think that anyone with kids be they furry or human has to take care of ourselves in order to take care of them. Right now Im going to the doc to find out what could be causing the ulcer . Again thanks for the support. Actually I feel better then when I started the thread so Ill keep typing. Hubby is spending time with the girls today and the fence people are coming to the new house on Tuesday night and hopefully the fence will be done in two weeks giving all dogs continous outside access when we are there . This makes me much happier.
Maggi

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Glad you are feeling a little better. Please let us know how you make out at the doctor.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The DR. says it seems to be healing and I had the ultrasound done to get a picture of my circulation in my legs. So Im supposed to see him next week and assess how its healing and then we will talk about the ultrasound.Foot looks better. I assuaged my guilt re the girls by cuddling w/ them on the couch downstairs and gave them bully sticks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts