German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear some of your work-dog-life schedules... just trying to get mine in order as a first dog owner with a 5 month old male. Would also like to see how you all mix it up, so to speak. And of course I'll mix it up some days.

I'm not training for anything in particular right now, so maybe some suggestions on what an extremely relaxed pup would be interested in? He has a 3% ball drive; would rather chew a bone for hours.

Normally and around times;
M-F:
6am - Rise and shine, walk/jog/heel work
7am - Feeding time, Play, obedience work
8am - Depart to work
7pm - Return home, short walk, feeding time.
8pm - Walk/jog/train. Until lights out, do stuff.

SAT/SUN:
8am - Rise and shine, Feeding time.
9am - Hiking, play, training
10am - Lounging out for a while... It's hot out!
4pm - Walk/jog/train. At ease for a while.
7pm - Feeding time. Until lights out, do stuff.

·
Registered
174 Posts
M-F
6:00 am - up, breakfast, potty break
6:30 am - after shower/ready for work - play time outside (fetch with tennis balls)
7:00 am - finish getting ready for work - Angel is back inside
7:30 am - work time - Angel is put in back room/hall area with her toys and some water (tall baby gate)
11:30 - home for lunch - potty break then eat lunch, then 10 to 15 mins of light ball playing outside
12:00 - back to work - again Angel is in "her" room/hall
5:15 pm - home from work - potty break/dinner 10 to 15 mins LIGHT play before Humans fix/eat dinner
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm : with the summer heat - 10 to 15 mins max outside ball time, then inside to cool down for 30 to 45 mins - then rinse/repeat until 9 pm with several training sessions during this time period, both inside and out
9:00 pm - time to settle inside, relax, play a few toys
10:00 pm - bed time !

Sat/Sun
pretty much the same as weekdays, except the 6:30pm to 9pm inside/outside/training/play time is ALL DAY LONG!!!! Also, we frequently have "nap time" after lunch! If we dont MAKE her take a nap on the weekends, she becomes Princess Cranky Pants - fights sleep worse than a 2 year old!!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
4:30 a.m. GSD assists with barn chores.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
No schedule whatsoever. Walks usually in the am and the evening around dusk. And sometimes Walky Dog (like today). And sometimes no walks at all (worst days ever :()

Feeding whenever we wake up and then around 6-7ish...

Good times all around!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
4:30 a.m. GSD assists with barn chores.
Sorry about that! That's what I get for trying to multi task - play on the forum and do what I get paid to do at the same time!

·
Registered
995 Posts
No set schedules, varies day by day. She adapts to me quite well.

6am - wake up, potty, eat
7am thru 6pm - bug my other dog, run around in the back yard, nap, bug dog, bug me, obedient train here and there, etc
6pm - dinner
6pm - sleep time - bug dog, bug me, run in the back yard, I walk her

Since she came out of puppy stage, she has become very flexible with my schedule.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Stay at home mamma equals an ever changing schedule. But typically we go:

7:30- Dad wakes up for work, Avery goes potty and will be fed, and some ball time
7:45-8:30ish- Dad gets ready for work and Avery comes and snuggles with me.
8:30- Avery potty time and back to snuggling
(If mamma has errands) 8:30-9:30- All three of us jump in the car and go to base, baby boy loves car rides.
(If mamma doesn't need our one car) 8:30-12- More cuddles in bed mamma likes to sleep in and he loves cuddle time in bed or on the couch.
12- Growing pups need lots of food so its snack time for him.
12:15-Potty time and free time while mamma makes lunch
1:00- Outside ball time or walk depending on the weather, it's been cool lately so we've been getting in both.
2:30- Mamma comes in and cleans house like a good haus frau and pups has free time outside or inside, the door is always open around here.
(if mamma has the car)3:30-back in the car we go to pick up dad around 4.
4:30- home from picking up dad
5:00ish dad and puppy play time while mamma cooks dinner
5:45- puppy dinner time
6:30- grab the leash and go for a walk
7:30- home for the night free time for puppy while mamma and dad relax for the evening
9:00- potty break
midnight- final potty break and bed

Tuesdays we have hundschule, but the time varies to fit our schedule, and a lot of our "free time" also doubles as training time, especially if I get done with something sooner then predicted.

Weekends are spent with light training, geo caching and long walks weather permitting. All of our training is done outside as we are in a small duplex and mamma LOVES being out in the fresh air.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I'd like to hear some of your work-dog-life schedules... just trying to get mine in order as a first dog owner with a 5 month old male. Would also like to see how you all mix it up, so to speak. And of course I'll mix it up some days.

I'm not training for anything in particular right now, so maybe some suggestions on what an extremely relaxed pup would be interested in? He has a 3% ball drive; would rather chew a bone for hours.

Normally and around times;
M-F:
6am - Rise and shine, walk/jog/heel work
7am - Feeding time, Play, obedience work
8am - Depart to work
7pm - Return home, short walk, feeding time.
8pm - Walk/jog/train. Until lights out, do stuff.

SAT/SUN:
8am - Rise and shine, Feeding time.
9am - Hiking, play, training
10am - Lounging out for a while... It's hot out!
4pm - Walk/jog/train. At ease for a while.
7pm - Feeding time. Until lights out, do stuff.
i am not an expert, but on weekends, i am pretty sure you do not want to feed and then hike, train ect. you need to be aware of bloat.

·
Registered
337 Posts
While I love dog focused activities like walking or tossing a ball, I much prefer going about my day and having the dog fit into what I do.

8:00 - potty, breakfast, hang out while everyone gets ready for the day
10:00 - brother goes out to play with her
11:00 - 6:30 - Nap time! Gracie happily sleeps the day away.
6:30 - 8:30 - Outdoors. She hangs out while we garden and take care of things. I will typically workout by running or biking and she will usually tag along.

We mix in obedience training throughout the day.

This schedule will stay the same until the winter. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Recently retired :) we wake up when we want,and than do what we want when we want. Nala is feed pretty much the same time every day though. Around 9am and than 6:00 pm dinner

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine would probably do well on a farm...she is an early riser and expects everyone else to start there day at 5am:) She is on the go from 5 am until 11pm-12am and if we don't get some work done(exercise) she is known to wander between 12am and 5am.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts