German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2 year old Shepherd came home from a local, well renowned kennels with bordetella bronchitis. He was treated and hospitalized for two days and prescribed antibiotics, but would not eat or take his medicine. Here is how tricked my dog into taking his antibiotics:

I crushed and ground up the antibiotics on a plate and mixed them with peanut butter, then gave it to him on a spoon, and if he wouldn't eat from the spoon, I spread it on his paw and forearm with a butter knife. He licked every bit up. Even the first day on sedatives.

My simple tip: Mix your antibiotics in peanut butter and spread it on their paw and or forearm... They instinctively "clean it off"

Hope that helps someone with a sick dog who wont take their meds.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That's a great idea. I teach my dogs to catch treats. I cut up a hotdog and throw the pieces quick enough that they don't think, just swallow. When they get the one with the pill they don't notice.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I have one that will eat anything and thinks a pill is a great reward, the other one I have trained to "Say Ahhh" and put it in the back of her throat. With her, pill pockets didn't work (she ate the pocket and spit out the pill - very discerning gourmet) but this might.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
The only trouble with this is that there's some risk if your dog smells the bitter antibiotic in the PB (because they're already suspicious), and rejects it. Mine unfortunately would -- he detests the taste of them and can smell them mixed in things a mile a way. Some drugs also have a very unpleasant numbing effect on the tongue (like Tramadol), so if they eat it once, they never will again.

If that happens, then you'll have to scrape PB off the dog paw and somehow get it all down the throat since it's been ground in. That PB is going to be way harder to get down the hatch than a capsule or tablet.

I think it's pretty important to learn how to pill your own dog. When you have a major medical episode with LOTS of meds, being able to matter-of-factly get them down quickly is so much less stressful than begging the dog to please eat all 5 pills!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do like the tip and have a pup it would work with
but I totally understand where Mags is coming from as we've had to learn to dose parrots with meds and they are way worse than any dog/cat I've ever had to deal with or trick. Sometimes you just need to be able to simply get it done - and know they ingested it all - end of story.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My dogs always dig pills out of peanut butter - I find that putting the pill inside a soft cheese works a lot better.

(Found that out after I bought some too-salty brie and had to get rid of it.)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I think it's pretty important to learn how to pill your own dog. When you have a major medical episode with LOTS of meds, being able to matter-of-factly get them down quickly is so much less stressful than begging the dog to please eat all 5 pills!
I absolutely agree that all dog owners should know this. There are times when you just need to get it done, about day 5 of Shadows 10 day antibiotics she was getting smart. However I do prefer to use my toss method whenever I can as I dislike forcing unless necessary, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
On meds my dog can take with food, I drag the capsule/tablet through solid coconut oil, then push it down the back of his throat. The coconut oil coating helps the med go down without jamming in the throat, and gives a pleasant after taste.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts