German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so happy when the rain first started after days of 100+ heat. That's all it was at first. Just rain. Then the wind came and Xena started barking like crazy. Storms don't usually bother her. When I say wind I mean hurricane strength. With the damage it did, it had to be. It caused a tree trunk to break and the tree came down on my car and is also blocking the entire street. What's even crazier is, no severe thunderstorm warning was ever issued.

·
Registered
255 Posts
SO weird that this happened to someone else this week. Our neighbors tree on July3rd came crashing down on our car, and then the neighbors husband had the nerve to laugh abou tit happening. They said if any damange that our insuance would have to cover it, because it was a Act of God. Really! We have been trying for the last several months for them to take care of this tree. It was tearing off bricks from our roof first and now this. So wrong.
Update- Thank godness no damage to the car, only a few scratches very minor.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thank goodness nobody was hurt.

I know we were without electricty for 8 days. It was terrible. All b/c a wind storm that lasted maybe 10 minutes. There were trees down everywhere. Still are.

I read an article somewhere about why so many trees have fallen down in the last couple of weeks. They say most of the trees have been ash trees and beetles are destroying them and making them weak.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=newssearch&cd=1&ved=0CDAQqQIwAA&url=http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_18352.shtml&ei=L0f5T8z9MojarAGRoL2LCQ&usg=AFQjCNE8yBEGOFhugLcQ3lW8v06EuRfX_A&sig2=Gr4cPfARa3DgJbzC-3i41A

·
Registered
329 Posts
i guess on the news some guy went out to move his brand new car and while he was moving it a tree fell on it and killed him

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
sorry this happened to your car. when Xena started barking
she was saying "mom, a strom is coming. i think you should move
the car".

I was so happy when the rain first started after days of 100+ heat. That's all it was at first. Just rain.

>>>> Then the wind came and Xena started barking like crazy.<<<<

Storms don't usually bother her. When I say wind I mean hurricane strength. With the damage it did, it had to be. It caused a tree trunk to break and the tree came down on my car and is also blocking the entire street. What's even crazier is, no severe thunderstorm warning was ever issued.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
We had a HUGE maple crush both of our cars in 1992. It was a freak event like the one last week.

It's really a scary thing to see a tree come crashing down.

As for the guy who wants your insurance to pay...that's fine, but YOUR company may very well go after HIM for the cost, seeing as how HIS tree was the hazard. You may end up getting the last laugh. You can also go after his homeowners insurance for the cost of YOUR deductible. The worst that can happen is that they deny it.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
yes - the owner of the tree's homeowners will probably be the responsible party to the insurance payment....even if you have comprehensive insurance.....

Lee

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
We also had a big tree from our property come down across the road and taking down the power line. We live on a dead end road so no one could go in our out until the power company came at 1:30am. It was a healthy looking tree but with the severe heat a drought we had last year, several are breaking under the strain.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes - the owner of the tree's homeowners will probably be the responsible party to the insurance payment....even if you have comprehensive insurance.....

Lee
My car insurance is liability only. My car was legally parked in the street along the curb when the neighbor's tree fell on it. We have pictures, and the police were there since a second car plowed into the tree. Does it matter that my car wasn't parked on private property when the tree fell on it?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Since you don't have full coverage, you may be unable to recover any damages. About the only thing you can do is try to claim under the homeowners policy. Most likely, unless you can prove he knew the tree was diseased or rotten, they can deny the liability. I am sorry...

(is it possible that the other car hit the downed tree and pushed it onto your car? If that was the case, the other driver would be liable for your damages. )

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does our neighbor knowing if his tree was diseased matter if he has homeowners insurance and his tree fell on my car? I never thought of the idea of the neighbor's homeowner's insurance paying until someone mentioned it on here. Are there ways to increase our chances of a settlement? We are short on money (my husband is the only one working right now because of my multiple cancer surgeries) and the only way we can afford something reliable is with a settlement. Otherwise, I may have to go without transportation until next year.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
call your insurance agent - auto/homeowners and talk to them about it - they should be able to advise you.....comprehensive is NOT that expensive and should be carried no matter how old the car!

Lee

·
Registered
285 Posts
sorry this happened to your car. when Xena started barking
she was saying "mom, a strom is coming. i think you should move
the car".
LOL!!! This is funny! I think you ment "storm". But what's funny about it is that "strom" in Czech or Slovak means "tree". :wild:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
LOL!!! This is funny! I think you ment "storm". But what's funny about it is that "strom" in Czech or Slovak means "tree". :wild:
UPDATE: Unfortunately, we learned that in Kansas, homeowner's insurance doesn't pay for "acts of God" and the homeowner has to be somehow at fault. Obviously, the storm was nobody's fault. Fortunately, we were approved for a loan on a 2010 Ford Escape with under 30k. I love that it sits up high like a truck and the way back seats fold forward makes it seem almost like a small cargo van. All that space means there's plenty of room for Xena and Rascal as well as the husky or malamute we eventually plan to get. I had no idea storm misspelled as strom means tree. The irony is hilarious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts